- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 65
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1Criminology: Overview & History of the Field
Course SummaryLearn all about victimology with the informative lessons in this Criminal Justice 201 course. Whether you're getting ready for a big exam or just want to know more about criminal justice, our short video and text lessons cover all the key topics you'll want to know.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
About This Course
These engaging lessons cover the different categories of crime, theories of criminal behavior, types of threats and many more victimology and criminology topics. Each short lesson is followed by a multiple-choice quiz you can use to assess your knowledge or as a helpful test preparation tool. If you want to watch only one portion of a video lesson rather than the whole thing, simply use the video tabs feature in the Timeline. Our instructors are available to offer their assistance if you find that any of the topics are too challenging.
Students trying to get caught up in class or study for a test will find our flexible, mobile-friendly lessons can help supplement what they're reading in their textbooks. Teachers can utilize the video and text lessons provided here for use in the classroom and as a new and interesting way to engage their students in the learning process.
|Introduction to Criminology||Outlines the history of criminology and the different theories used in the field.|
|Crime Categories & Characteristics||Describes the categories and elements of crime.|
|Theories of Criminal Behavior||Covers the trends, theories and history associated with crime.|
|Victimology Overview||Details victims' rights, victimization risks and the costs of victimization.|
|Types of Violent Crimes||Compares different kinds of violent crimes, including stalking, assault, capital murder and more.|
|Types of Homicide||Discusses the differences between manslaughter, vehicular homicide and the different degrees of murder.|
|Types & Effects of Sexual Assault||Identifies different types of sexual assault and the effects of sexual violence.|
|Intimate Partner Violence||Covers different domestic violence situations and the theory of the cycle of violence.|
|Victims of Crime: Consequences & Impact||Details treatment of crime victims and identifies effects of crime on its victims and the community.|
|Types of Threats & Self-Defense||Outlines several different types of threats and defines self-defense.|
|Violence Prevention||Explores strategies to prevent dating violence, school violence and more.|
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Criminal Justice Administration Courses in Maryland
- Criminal Justice Administration Courses in Michigan
- Criminal Justice Professions Video: Career Options for a Degree in Criminal Justice
- Criminal Justice Administration Courses in Austin, TX
- Criminal Justice Courses in NC with School Overviews
- Online Criminal Justice Statistics Course Information
- Online Criminal Justice Course and Class Overviews
- Criminal Justice Courses in Norwalk, CT: Program Descriptions
- Criminal Justice Courses in Rhode Island with Program Summaries
- Criminal Justice Degree Programs in Gardena, CA with Course Info
- Urology Technician Career Information About Becoming an Urology Technician
- Digital Photography Schools in Washington
- QA Engineers Job Information for Students Considering a Career As a QA Engineer
- Buffalo New York Colleges
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration BSBA Accounting Degree Overview
Explore our library of over 55,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses