- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 182
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What is Chemistry? - Definition, History & Branches
Course SummaryThis high school chemistry textbook replacement course covers all of the topics in a standard chemistry textbook. The lessons offer a convenient way for students to study, interactive materials for teachers to engage their classes and an effective alternative to expensive or outdated textbooks.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
Any instructor who teaches high school chemistry can consider this textbook replacement course an excellent resource for their classroom. The lessons in this course provide high quality instruction and cover the same or even more information than that found in most chemistry textbooks.
How it works
The short, engaging video lessons on topics like kinetics and matter are perfect for briefly introducing a chemistry topic and initiating class discussion. The chapter and lesson structure is similar to traditional chemistry textbooks, making a transition to digital learning simple and straightforward. Just like you'd assign textbook reading assignments, you can assign one or more video lessons to your students conveniently through the website and even review them in class to initiate discussion or class projects.
- Identify the chapter in this course that corresponds with your curriculum or lesson plan.
- Assign one or more of the short and engaging video lessons as homework.
- In class, engage students in discussions and/or interactive activities that focus on the lesson topics.
- Use the lesson quizzes and chapter exams to test your students' understanding of chemical equations, acids and organic chemistry.
- Submit questions, feedback or suggestions to our expert instructors from your Dashboard.
Cut your textbook costs with Study.com's online chemistry textbook. Our courses cost less than traditional textbooks and are more engaging and interactive. For the same cost, your teachers and students can access all of the courses in our library, including textbooks, common core, AP courses and more.
- Engaging Content: Unlike dry textbook instruction, our lessons bring atomic structure, equilibrium and other chemistry topics to life while providing a high level of quality education.
- Cost Effective: Using our Chemistry Textbook course can save schools hundreds if not thousands of dollars typically spent on physical textbooks.
- Skill-Building Courses: In addition to in-depth instruction, courses include practice lessons, quizzes, practical learning exercises and how-to guides to help students develop higher-order thinking skills.
- Adaptive Learning: Our fully online textbook courses integrate technology in classrooms to give students an important understanding of chemistry as well as the technical skills they'll need for their future
- Exceptional Instructors: The lessons are taught by outstanding educators who make concepts like DNA replication easy to understand.
Study.com offers you the solution to packing around multiple heavy textbooks from class to home every day. Using our fully online chemistry textbook course offers convenience, fun video lessons, outstanding instructors and relief from back pain!
Using the Course
Using the course is simple. You can find any topic you're currently studying in chemistry class, or if your school uses this course in the classroom, you can get your assignments through links sent by your instructor via email. Even if your school uses traditional textbooks, you'll find this course offers a great supplement and brings chemistry lessons to life. The short videos give you an easy, fun and helpful way to better understand and absorb chemistry concepts, bonding, measurements and problem-solving.
- Identify the chemistry topics you're studying in class, or click on the lesson links sent to you.
- View the short and engaging chemistry video lessons.
- Use the lesson quizzes and chapter exams to test your understanding of topics like chemical reactions, gases and nuclear chemistry.
- Submit questions to our expert instructors for additional help with any chemistry topic covered in the course.
Why It Works
Our chemistry course supports your individual learning style and your lifestyle. Check out some of the helpful and practical ways this course can be valuable to you as well as the advantages to having a complete resource to complement your classroom lessons.
- Fun Videos: Our lessons entertain while they teach you about the periodic table, nucleic acids and Beer's Law.
- Helpful Instructors: In addition to being subject-matter experts in chemistry our instructors are available to help you with any questions you have related to the course.
- Accessible: You can access this chemistry course and view the video lessons from any computer or mobile device from home or on the go.
- Learn Your Way: Whether you learn better through discussion, viewing the video or reading the lesson transcript, we've got you covered.
- Keeping Up in Class: If you need to miss class or don't quite understand a chemistry concept, you can use this course to make sure you don't fall behind.
- Chemistry fundamentals
- Problem-solving and measuring in chemistry
- Chemistry laboratories
- Properties of matter
- Structure of atoms
- Organization of the periodic table
- Chemical elements
- Nuclear chemistry and equations
- Types of chemical bonds
- Phase changes in solids and liquids
- Gas measurements and theories
- Chemical solutions and their calculations
- Chemical equations and stoichiometry
- Acid-base reactions
- Equilibrium in chemistry
- Chemical reactions and kinetics
- Laws of thermodynamics
- Basic organic chemistry
- DNA and RNA acids
- DNA replication process
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 79 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Can Open Education Save Students From Expensive Textbooks?
- The Most Expensive College Textbooks and Why You Should Skip Them
- How To Replace Textbooks With Study.com Courses
- Why Buy a Textbook When You Can Rent?
- Textbook Rebels with a Cause
- How to Skip the Textbook and Still Earn an A
- Chemistry Teacher Courses with Classes Overview
- Build-Your-Own Textbooks Could Save Students Hundreds
- How to Become a High School Chemistry Teacher: Career Roadmap
- Where to Find Free and Low-Cost Textbooks
Explore our library of over 30,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses