- Course type: Self-paced
- Available Lessons: 91
- Average Lesson Length: 8 min
Eligible for Certificate: Yes
Certificates show that you have completed the course. They do not provide credit.
Watch a preview:chapter 1 / lesson 1What Is Religion? - Definition & Role in Society
Course SummaryThis certificate course can help you earn an Introduction to World Religions Certificate that you can use to strengthen your resume with this fun course. Our video lessons and quizzes will introduce you to the theories and origins of the major world religions.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
About This Course
Earn an Introduction to World Religions certificate in two weeks or less with this course. The quick and engaging video lessons that comprise the course teach you about Hinduism, Judaism, Buddhism, Christianity and more. You'll learn about the Early Mother Goddess and the birth of Islam, among other topics.
Who's This For?
Those involved in teaching, international relations, writing, counseling, research, social work or global business professions can find this course useful. The course can also benefit anyone interested in learning more about religions of the world.
No prerequisites are needed for this introductory course.
Benefits of the Certificate
An Introduction to World Religions certificate offers benefits to individuals in both their professional and personal lives. Examples include:
- Demonstrating to current employers your understanding of world religion concepts by adding it to your resume
- Showcasing your interest in continuing your education
- Expanding your career options and appealing to new employers or clients by adding it to your online profile
- Using it to meet continuing education requirements
- Enhancing your social interactions with the knowledge acquired from this course
- Applying your knowledge to help tutor students
Introduction to World Religions Program Breakdown
Start this course by learning about theories on the origins of religion and its role in society. Study primal religions, mystery cults, Greek myths, Roman religions and Meso-American religious rites of passage.
World Religion: Hinduism
Find out the significance of the Indus River Valley in the origins of Hinduism and examine the Vedas and Hindu deities. Learn about Hindu belief systems, castes and the four goals of Hindu life.
World Religion: Buddhism
This chapter teaches you about the Eightfold Path to Enlightenment, four noble truths, triple gem and gender equality in Buddhism. You'll learn about the Dalai Lama, Buddhism branches and Zen Buddhism.
World Religion: Confucianism
Explore the founding of Confucianism in this chapter, which covers the five relationships, ethics and rituals, the dual soul and ancestor worship. Study teachings of Hsun-tzu and Tung Chung-shu and learn about the decline of Confucianism.
World Religion: Taoism
This chapter introduces you to the Yin and Yang, Wu-wei concept, Tao-te ching and Taoist Canon. You'll study Taoist sects, alchemy and the doctrine of salvation.
World Religion: Islam
Learn about Muhammad in this chapter and study the Qu'ran and Hadith. Examine the five pillars of the Islamic faith, Sharia law, spread of Islam and Muslim scholar accomplishments of the Islamic Golden Age.
World Religion: Judaism
This chapter teaches you about the Jewish belief system and the differences between monotheism and polytheism. You'll study Jewish persecution, denominations and rituals.
World Religion: Christianity
End your course with a look at the life of Christ, Paul and the early church fathers, Christian persecution and St. Augustine's City of God. Study the Great Crusades, seven sacraments of the Roman Catholic Church and the Ecumenical movement.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- World Religion Course and Class Information
- Online Courses in World Religion: Course Descriptions
- 4 Universities with Free Theology & World Religions Courses Online
- Online Religion Courses Overview
- Religion Courses and Classes Overview
- What Are Certification Classes and Certification Courses
- Comparative Religion Courses: Information and Requirements
- Teacher Certification Video: Earning a Teaching Certification or Teaching Credential
- Religion Degrees and College Majors
- Online Courses in World History
Explore our library of over 55,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses