Course SummaryWe can help you get ready to take the NJBCT exam with this professionally designed, informative prep course. Study all the biology topics you'll need to know by reviewing the video and text lessons any time that works for you.
To Start This Course Today
Try it free for 5 days
About This Course
This course is composed of lessons and assessments that are organized into subject-specific chapters. Complete these chapters for a comprehensive review of the material covered on the New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT). Professional instructors will discuss the principles and theories of organic biochemistry, cell biology, molecular biology and ecology. After working through this course, you should be prepared for exam questions regarding:
- Chemical structures and compounds of biochemistry
- Cellular structures, functions and cycles
- Structures, mutations and diseases of multicellular organisms
- Properties of matter, matter to energy transformation and ecological matter/energy cycles
- Ecosystems, biodiversity, ecological succession, and the human impact on ecosystems
- Genetics, heredity, evolution and diversity
- Scientific methodology and inquiry
- Relationship between science and society
About the Exam
The New Jersey Department of Education and your school will administer the NJBCT sometime in May. This exam will be used to determine whether you possess the knowledge and skills outlined by the biology section of the Science Core Curriculum Content Standards (CCCS). You will be asked to complete a series of 60 multiple-choice questions and two Performance Assessment Tasks (PATs) in two one-hour-and-45-minute testing sessions.
Preparing & Registering for the NJBCT
In addition to paying attention in class, completing your class/home work and asking your teacher for assistance when needed, you can use the material of this study guide course to prepare for the NJBCT. Start by watching the lesson videos of our professional instructors as they explain the topics you will see on the NJBCT. Lesson transcripts are included for those who prefer reading. You'll also find quizzes to test your progress as well as video tags for skipping from one video segment to another. Likewise, take the practice chapter exams to test your overall understanding of a chapter after you have completed all of its lessons and quizzes.
Scoring the NJBCT
You will receive scores for the NJBCT that represent your overall understanding of biology as well as your comprehension of the different core content areas. This understanding will be measured by the series of 60 multiple-choice questions and two PATs, which you will be tasked with answering in two 1.75-hour testing sessions. The different core content of this test is outlined by the Science CCCS, and includes:
Organization and Development
Exam topics covered: Biochemistry, Cellular processes, homeostasis, mitosis, gene regulation, and organizations of living systems
What you will review: The course includes lessons on organic biochemistry, functions of enzymes, cell structures, cellular functions, the cell cycle, genes and protein synthesis, and structures of multicellular organisms.
Matter and Energy Transformations
Exam topics covered: Biosynthesis, energy flow, photosynthesis, and respiration
What you will review: Discover information about compounds and molecules of living cells, energy conservation, food webs and food chains, photosynthesis, and cellular respiration.
Exam topics covered: Populations and communities, and ecosystem stability
What you will review: Levels of ecology and ecosystems, relationships within ecosystems, characteristics of populations, carrying capacity, ecological succession, and conservation biology are some topics in this section.
Heredity and Reproduction
Exam topics covered: Genomes, gene alterations, and sexual reproduction
What you will review: You'll learn about sexual reproduction, the genome, Mendel's laws, genetic inheritance, genetic engineering and genetic mutations.
Evolution and Diversity
Exam topics covered: Adaptation and character traits, scientific evidence of evolution, diversity of extant organisms, and mechanisms for biological evolution
What you will review: The theory of evolution, evidence for evolution, natural selection, adaptation, artificial selection, genetic variability, speciation, and the impact of environmental change on evolution are covered in this section.
New Jersey Biology Competency Test (NJBCT) is a registered trademark of the New Jersey Department of Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 79 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Research Schools, Degrees & Careers
Get the unbiased info you need to find the right school.
Browse Articles By Category
Browse an area of study or degree level.
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences
- Communications and Journalism
- Computer Sciences
- Culinary Arts and Personal Services
- Liberal Arts and Humanities
- Mechanic and Repair Technologies
- Medical and Health Professions
- Physical Sciences
- Transportation and Distribution
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Can Short Video Lessons Help Your ADHD Child Study Better?
- Why Take Online Professional Development Courses?
- The Compass Test: What You Need to Know
- What You Need to Know About Transferring Credits
- What You Need To Know About The ParaPro Assessment
- More Than Half of SAT Test-Takers Not Ready for College
- Does Every Florida Teacher Have to Take the General Knowledge Exams?
- How Teachers Use Video Lessons to Help ADHD Students Learn
- Why Even Smart Students Still Need to Study for an Open-Book Exam
- Take Heed of These Warning Signs That You're Ready to Leave Teaching
Explore our library of over 35,000 lessons
- College Courses
- High School Courses
- Other Courses