About This Chapter
Accuplacer Arithmetic Test: Fractions - Chapter Summary
These bite-sized video lessons are like candy for your brain - they break important fractions concepts down into enticing little pieces. As you work your way through this chapter, you'll get demonstrations of the following:
- Fraction types and comparisons
- The difference between proper and improper fractions
- Fraction building and reduction techniques
- The method for changing a mixed number to a fraction
- Multiplication and division of fractions and mixed numbers
- Fraction addition and subtraction
- How to deal with fractions in word problems
Use the lesson quizzes to practice basic operations with fractions and fraction conversions. You'll be able to use your results to determine which areas need further review. If you need any assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out to our instructors.
Accuplacer Arithmetic Test: Fractions - Chapter Objectives
Use this chapter to review fractions as you prepare for your Accuplacer Arithmetic test, a seventeen-question assessment your school may use to determine which math classes you should take. Lesson quizzes let you practice applying fractions concepts, build confidence with the ideas, and introduce you to the Accuplacer format.
Each question you answer as you work through the computer-administered Accuplacer will determine the difficulty of the next question you are faced with. The better your performance, the harder the questions will get. There is no time limit on the assessment, so it's best focus carefully on each question and not rush.
1. What is a Fraction? - Definition and Types
Fractions may be your friend's worst nightmare, but they don't have to be yours. Watch this video lesson to learn about fractions and how you can understand them easily. Also learn to identify the different types of fractions.
2. Comparing and Ordering Fractions
Comparing and ordering fractions is way to examine fractions that contain different-sized sets. In order to compare these fractions, you must find a common denominator and make equivalent fractions.
3. What are Equivalent Fractions? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll review some fraction terminology and then learn what equivalent fractions are. Afterward, you can test your new knowledge with a brief quiz.
4. Proper Fractions: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, we will discuss just what makes proper fractions proper. We will see how they compare to improper fractions, as well as look at several examples.
5. What is an Improper Fraction? - Definition & Example
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of an improper fraction, as well as proper fractions and mixed fractions. You will be given examples of improper fractions to properly illustrate what they are.
6. How to Build and Reduce Fractions
Fractions are a fundamental part of everyday life. Fractions represent a comparison of a part to the whole. To reduce fractions, we will divide by the greatest common factor, or the GCF.
7. How to Change Mixed Numbers to Improper Fractions
When it comes to fractions in algebra, we hardly ever use mixed numbers. Instead, we opt for the ease of use of improper fractions. Watch this video lesson to learn how to change your mixed numbers to improper fractions.
8. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
9. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
10. Practice with Fraction and Mixed Number Arithmetic
Adding whole numbers is one thing. But adding fractions and mixed numbers? That's not so simple. Or is it? In this lesson, we'll practice arithmetic with both fractions and mixed numbers.
11. Using Fraction Notation: Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication & Division
How do we add, subtract, multiply or divide with fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn how to use fraction notation correctly no matter what operation we're completing.
12. Estimation Problems using Fractions
When working with fractions, estimating can save time and effort while getting you very close to the correct answer. In this lesson, we'll learn how to use estimation to quickly solve problems involving fractions.
13. How to Simplify Word Problems with Fractions Using Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how to solve word problems with fractions in them easily by turning your fractions into whole numbers. Learn what you need to do to get rid of your fractions so you can easily solve your problem.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Accuplacer Arithmetic Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- About the Accuplacer Arithmetic Test
- Accuplacer Arithmetic Test: Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication & Division of Whole Numbers
- Accuplacer Arithmetic Test: Decimals
- Accuplacer Arithmetic Test: Percents
- Accuplacer Arithmetic Test: Rate, Ratio & Basic Statistics
- Accuplacer Arithmetic Test: Measurement
- Accuplacer Arithmetic Test: Geometry