About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering ACT preparation material will benefit from taking this course. You will be able to grasp the subject matter faster, retain critical knowledge longer and earn better ACT scores. You're in the right place if you:
- Have fallen behind in understanding how to prepare for the ACT
- Need an efficient way to learn about the ACT
- Learn best with engaging auditory and visual tools
- Struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Experience difficulty understanding your teachers
- Missed class time and need to catch up
- Can't access extra ACT review resources at school
How it works:
- Start at the beginning, or identify the topics that you need help with.
- Watch and learn from fun videos, reviewing as needed.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Submit questions to one of our instructors for personalized support if you need extra help.
- Verify you're ready by completing the ACT - About the Test chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the ACT - About the Test chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any ACT question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
In this chapter, you'll learn the answer to questions including:
- What is the test structure of the ACT?
- How does scoring work with the ACT?
- How do I register for the ACT?
- What should I bring on test day?
- How can I prepare for test day?
1. What is the ACT?
In this lesson, you'll learn where the ACT comes from, why it's important, and whether it's the right test for you (including a comparison with the SAT).
2. The ACT Test Structure
Get a bird's-eye view of the ACT test structure, including the timing and question types for each section (including the essay) and how the test is arranged.
3. How Scoring Works with the ACT
It's not just you: ACT scoring is really confusing! Watch this lesson to learn what all those numbers on your score report actually mean and how to interpret them.
4. Registering for the ACT and What to Bring on Test Day
Don't let the little things stand in your way: learn how to register for the ACT online and what you'll need to bring to the test center when test day finally arrives.
5. How to Be Ready for Test Day
Don't let poor preparation on test day undo all the work you did to get ready for the test. In this lesson, you'll learn some strategies for the big day from a master of time management.
6. What Are Average ACT Test Scores?
The ACT national and state average test scores vary from year to year. Find out the most recent average ACT scores as well as information about how the ACT is scored.
7. What Are ACT Test Results by State?
The ACT is taken by more than a million students every year, either as a requirement or by choice. Here you'll learn about how test-takers in each state scored on each section of the ACT exam and get details on how to prepare for the ACT.
8. ACT Test Registration Information
Read on to find out everything you need to know about signing up for the ACT, a national college admissions examination. Learn about test dates, fees and special testing accommodations, and find out how you can prepare for the exam.
9. How to See ACT Test Scores Online
You took the ACT and now you're anxious to know your scores. Learn how long it takes for your ACT scores to be processed, and how you can access them online.
10. ACT Accommodations for Students with Disabilities
Students with disabilities can request alternative ACT exam formats and adaptations to their testing environment. Learn about available testing accommodations and how to sign up for them.
11. ACT Test Dates and Locations
Knowing when and where ACT exams are given is an important part of fully preparing yourself for this exam. Learn more about where you can take the exams and when they are offered, then get info on registration deadlines and preparation methods for the ACT.
12. Free Online ACT Prep
There are many free online resources available to help you prepare for the ACT, including practice tests, tutorials and publications. Learn about the free resources available online and how they can assist you while you study.
13. Where to Find Free ACT Flashcards
Flash cards can help students quickly and easily prepare for the ACT, as well as the individual subjects. Read on to learn about some online study options and flashcards, many of which are free.
14. Best Free ACT Test Prep Resources
Are you looking for a way to prepare for the ACT or to improve your test scores? Learn about some of the best free resources available to help you do both. Then take a look at fee-based services that offer in-depth preparation for the exam.
15. ACT Test Scores by State
Colleges and universities use scores from the ACT to make admissions decisions and determine an applicant's preparedness for college. After taking the ACT, you can find average scores for each state.
16. How to Sign Up for the ACT
Registration for the ACT can be completed through several methods. Keep reading to explore your options and learn what's required to sign up online, by mail, or over the phone.
17. ACT Test Registration Dates
ACT registration dates are available throughout the school year, so you can take the test when it's convenient. Find out about registration options, dates and timing considerations.
18. ACT Exam Prep Information
The ACT is a standardized college admissions test that can include a writing portion along with multiple-choice sections in four other subject areas. Read on to learn where you can find preparation materials for this exam and get other important test information.
19. How Can I Improve My ACT Scores?
There are many resources available to help you improve your ACT score, some of which are offered at no cost. Many students perform better on their second test. Read on to learn more.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ACT Prep: Help and Review course
- ACT English - Section Overview: Help and Review
- ACT English - Punctuation: Help and Review
- ACT English - Grammar and Usage: Help and Review
- ACT English - Sentence Structure: Help and Review
- ACT English - Rhetorical Strategy: Help and Review
- ACT English - Organization: Help and Review
- ACT English - Style: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Overview: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Pre-Algebra: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Algebraic Expressions: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Radicals: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Linear Equations: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Functions: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Absolute Value: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Matrices: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Inequalities: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Probability: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Data and Statistics: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Exponents: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Polynomials and Quadratics: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Rational Equations: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Sequences: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Complex Numbers: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Exponentials and Logarithms: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Coordinate Geometry: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Triangles: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Plane Geometry: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Logic in Mathematics: Help and Review
- ACT Math - Trigonometry: Help and Review
- ACT Science Reasoning - Overview: Help and Review
- ACT Science Reasoning - Fundamentals: Help and Review
- ACT Reading - Overview: Help and Review
- ACT Reading - Question Types: Help and Review
- ACT Reading - Understanding Passages: Help and Review
- ACT Reading - Literary Terms: Help and Review
- ACT Reading - Practice: Help and Review
- ACT Writing - Overview: Help and Review
- ACT Writing - Essay Skills: Help and Review
- ACT Writing - Essay Parts: Help and Review
- ACT Writing - Planning: Help and Review
- ACT Writing - Advanced Skills: Help and Review