About This Chapter
Acute & Chronic Heart Diseases & Conditions - Chapter Summary
From manageable conditions to medical crises, this chapter addresses various types of acute and chronic heart conditions. You will have the opportunity to develop a deeper understanding of the causes, symptoms and treatments of each of these conditions or diseases.
Each lesson highlights specific terms and provides detailed examples to ensure that you fully understand this material. Once you complete your review of this short chapter, you should be able to do the following:
- List the causes of pericardical effusion
- Explain the signs and treatment options for cardiogenic shock
- Describe hypertensive crisis symptoms
- Discuss the causes and complications of dilated, hypertrophic, ischemic and takotsubo cardiomyopathy
Short, engaging video and text lessons take less than ten minutes to review and can be accessed at all times, from any device. Use a short online contact form to reach out to instructors with any questions about this material. Track your progress on your Dashboard and take self-assessment quizzes to determine your readiness in moving from one lesson to the next.
1. Pericardial Effusion: Causes & Treatment
Can the heart swing inside of your body? Maybe. You'll find out for sure in this lesson as we take a look at the pericardium, pericardial effusion, and cardiac tamponade!
2. Cardiogenic Shock: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
In this lesson, we will take a look at something known as shock, define it, and look at a particular form of it known as cardiogenic shock. We'll discuss what may trigger it, what it does to the body, how the body tries to compensate for it, and how it may be treated.
3. Hypertensive Crisis: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Did you know that there are two types of hypertensive crises? Learn more about hypertensive crisis, its causes, symptoms, and treatment. Then test your knowledge with a quiz.
4. Dilated Cardiomyopathy: Causes, Symptoms, Treatment, & Prognosis
We will go over an important medical condition known as dilated cardiomyopathy, why it occurs pathologically, what it does to the body physiologically, and how compensatory mechanisms help and hurt the body in this lesson.
5. Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy: Causes, Symptoms, & Treatment
This lesson will discuss hypertrophic cardiomyopathy and cardiac hypertrophy in general, including what occurs, what the consequences are, and what treatment options exist.
6. Ischemic Cardiomyopathy: Definition, Symptoms & Causes
There are numerous kinds of heart problems and this lesson is going to go over the causes, signs, and symptoms of one of them. It's called ischemic cardiomyopathy.
7. Takotsubo Cardiomyopathy: Definition, Symptoms & Causes
This lesson will explore takotsubo cardiomyopathy, a condition which has been called 'broken-heart syndrome' because of its connection with deeply felt personal losses. Here we explore the causes, symptoms, and treatment of the disease as well as its diagnostic origin.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AACN PCCN (Adult) Certification: Exam Review & Study Guide course
- Acute Coronary & Inflammatory Diseases of the Heart
- Understanding Dysrhythmias
- Understanding Heart Defects & Failure
- Aneurysms & Cardiovascular Diseases
- Cardiovascular Assessment & Disease Monitoring in Nursing
- Cardiovascular Nursing Actions for Patient Management
- Cardiovascular Surgical Interventions & Emergencies in Nursing
- Cardiovascular Medication Administration in Nursing
- Acute Respiratory Conditions
- Understanding Chronic Respiratory Conditions
- Pleural Space Abnormalities
- Overview of Pulmonary Nursing Actions
- Pulmonary Nursing Actions for Patient Management
- Endocrine Disorders Overview
- Hematologic, Immunologic & Oncologic Disorders
- Gastrointestinal Disorder Overview
- Nursing Actions for Gastrointestinal Disorders
- Overview of Renal Disorders
- Nursing Actions for Renal Disorders
- Neurological Disorders Overview
- Nursing Actions for Neurological Disorders
- Overview of Behavioral & Psychosocial Disorders
- Overview of Behavioral & Psychological Nursing Actions
- Multisystem Clinical Judgments
- Understanding Sepsis & Shock
- Professional Care & Ethical Practices in Nursing