About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering 9th grade English material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn 9th grade English. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the Bible as literary influence or ancient literature for 9th grade
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning English (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about ancient literature for 9th grade
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra English learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the ancient literature for 9th grade chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the ancient literature for 9th grade chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any ancient literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in an ancient literature unit of a standard 9th grade English course. Topics covered include:
- The Epic of Gilgamesh
- The Iliad
- The Odyssey
- Greek myth and religion
- The Bible as literary influence
1. The Epic of Gilgamesh
Witness the Epic of Gilgamesh, a story of adventure, love and friendship. This long poem will help us examine the hallmarks of civilization for a Sumerian and the importance of dreams. We'll also cover the Sumerian contributions to the epic form of literature.
2. The Iliad: Greek Epic
This lecture traces the history of Greek epics. It then examines the central themes of 'The Iliad': Xenia, Achilles' wrath, and his quest for immortality. The plot of 'The Iliad' is summarized and attention is drawn to themes from the Sumerian tradition.
3. The Odyssey: Greek Epic
This lecture provides a rough outline of the exploits of Odysseus in Homer's epic poem ''The Odyssey''. You'll learn plot details about this epic poem, in addition to hearing about how this important tale relates to Greek culture and literary works throughout history.
4. The Argonautica Plot Synopsis: The Myth of Jason and the Argonauts
This lesson offers a complete plot synopsis of 'The Argonautica' by Apollonius of Rhodes. Discover the main characters of this romantic twist of a classic Greek myth and learn the similarities between this and 'The Odyssey.'
5. The Aeneid by Virgil
This lesson explores Virgil's 'Aeneid'. It consists of a brief plot synopsis. We stop along the way to look at a few important scenes and offer analysis where necessary.
6. Greek Myth and Religion
This lecture examines the troubles of generalizing Greek religion, before doing just that. It lists the major Olympian gods and their roles. It then explores the function of heroes in Greek religion. Next, the relationship between gods and men is laid out. Finally, it explores aspects of Greek myth that reemerge in Christianity.
7. The Bible as Literary Influence: References and Allusion
In this lesson, we'll consider the ways that many writers were influenced by various aspects of the Bible, both in the past and the present. We'll look at the way the Bible influences the stories and languages of writers and some allusions that authors make to the Bible.
8. Calypso in The Odyssey: Summary, Overview
In this lesson we explore the ancient Greek nymph, Calypso, and her role in Homer's ''Odyssey.'' Though just a nymph, Calypso challenges the Olympian gods and tries to hold Odysseus captive.
9. Enkidu, Gilgamesh Character: Dream & Death
Explore Ancient Babylon through the tale of Enkidu, a hero in the epic poem 'Gilgamesh.' Learn about his life, his prophetic dream, and his death. Discover several important figures in Babylonian mythology such as the gods Enlil, Anu, and Shamash, and the goddess, Ishtar.
10. The Book of Margery Kempe: Summary & Analysis
'The Book of Margery Kempe' is an important component in English literature. It tells the story of a woman who lived a strong Christian life despite the negativity of others. Learn more about 'The Book of Margery Kempe' and test your knowledge with a quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 79 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the 9th Grade English: Help and Review course
- 9th Grade English - Prose: Help and Review
- American Novels for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- American Short Stories for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- British Fiction for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- Contemporary Fiction for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- 9th Grade Dramatic Literature: Help and Review
- Drama for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- Poetry for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- 9th Grade Literary Terms: Help and Review
- Text Analysis and Close Reading in 9th Grade: Help and Review
- Introduction to High School Writing: Help and Review
- 9th Grade Essay Basics: Types of Essay: Help and Review
- The Writing Process for 9th Grade: Help and Review
- Conventions in 9th Grade Writing: Grammar: Help and Review
- Using Source Materials in 9th Grade English: Help and Review
- Elements of 9th Grade Grammar: Help and Review
- 9th Grade Grammar Usage: Help and Review
- Punctuation in 9th Grade Writing: Help and Review