About This Chapter
The First Industrial Revolution - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
This chapter on European history examines industry and manufacturing growth in the 100-year period from 1750 to 1850. Get started in this chapter with a look at the growth of industry in Britain before moving on to watch the revolution unfold across the globe. You'll find out why this initial revolution took place and learn about some of the social and economic consequences resulting from rapid industrialization. At the end of this chapter you'll be familiar with:
- Impact of the revolution
- Innovations that started the first industrial revolution
- Growth of the working class during this period
- Great Britain's major industries of the 18th century
|The Industrial Revolution (1750-1850): Growth & Impact||Analyzes the growth of industry and manufacturing in Britain and around the world.|
|Causes of the First Industrial Revolution - Examples & Quiz||Describes factors that made Great Britain a logical starting point for the revolution. Discusses technological changes and transportation improvements that characterized this period.|
|Great Britain Leads the Industrial Revolution||Provides an in-depth examination of industries introduced in Great Britain in the late 18th century.|
|Urbanization and Other Effects of the Industrial Revolution: Social and Economic Impacts||Describes how the population of Europe became more urbanized and depicts working conditions for factory workers and miners. Discusses the emergence of trade unions, major reforms that took place and the reformers that brought about improvements in working conditions.|
|The Working-Class During the Industrial Revolution: Growth & Ideologies||Details the growth of urban laborers during the revolution. Looks at the different ideologies that championed the working class.|
1. The Industrial Revolution (1750-1850): Growth & Impact
This lesson will introduce the First Industrial Revolution. We will study the beginning of the Industrial Revolution, some of its major impacts, and its spread throughout the world.
2. Causes of the First Industrial Revolution: Examples & Summary
The Industrial Revolution was a period when new sources of energy, such as coal and steam, were used to power new machines designed to reduce human labor and increase production. The move to a more industrial society would forever change the face of labor.
3. Great Britain Leads the Industrial Revolution
In this lesson, we will explore the Industrial Revolution in Great Britain. We will look at reasons for Britain's industrial leadership, trends in its industry, and the results of industrialization on British society.
4. Urbanization & Other Effects of the Industrial Revolution: Social & Economic Impacts
The Industrial Revolution had a lasting effect on class structure, urbanization and lifestyle. In this lesson, we will learn how the Industrial Revolution changed various aspects of European society.
5. The Working-Class During the Industrial Revolution: Growth & Ideologies
In this lesson, we will meet the workers of the Industrial Revolution. We will examine the conditions under which they worked and lived, and we will learn about a few attempts to improve their situation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the AP European History: Exam Prep course
- AP European History: Overview of the Renaissance
- AP European History: Renaissance Philosophy, Art & Literature
- AP European History: Reformation Roots & Teachings
- AP European History: The Reformation's Effects Across Europe
- AP European History: Wars of Religion
- AP European History: The Age of Expansion
- AP European History: The Rise of Monarchical Nation States
- AP European History: English History (1450-1700)
- AP European History: The Scientific Revolution and Enlightenment
- AP European History: 18th Century Powers
- AP European History: The French Revolution
- AP European History: The Napoleonic Empire
- AP European History: 19th Century Revolutionary Movements
- AP European History: Unifications of Nation States in the 19th Century
- AP European History: Europe 1871-1914
- AP European History: World War I
- AP European History: Russia After World War I
- AP European History: The 1920s & 1930s
- AP European History: The Rise of Fascism
- AP European History: World War II
- AP European History: Post-War Europe
- AP European History: Cold War Europe
- AP European History: Integration: Europe after the Soviet Union
- Portions of the AP European History Exam
- How to Write a Good Essay on Your AP Exam
- Developing and Writing Your AP Exam Essay