About This Chapter
Asepsis & Infection Control in Nursing - Chapter Summary
This chapter can boost your confidence as you study infection prevention and control in the healthcare setting. Short lessons provide a comprehensive analysis of this subject, covering topics that include sterilization, medical and surgical asepsis and the role of the CDC. Completing this chapter will enable you to:
- List the basic principles of infection control
- Discuss the role of the CDC and OSHA in standard precautions
- Differentiate between medical asepsis and surgical asepsis
- Describe antiseptics, disinfectants and sterilization
- Compare and contrast aseptic technique and sterile technique
- Define an autoclave and discuss the importance of moist heat sterilization
- Explain the use of alcohol as a disinfectant and antiseptic
View one, several or all the lessons in this chapter based on how much you already know about asepsis and infection control. Revisit the lessons as many times as you'd like, and take the accompanying quizzes to test your knowledge of the concepts they cover. If you have questions about specific lesson topics, be sure to submit them to our experts via the Dashboard. When you're ready, take the practice exam to ensure you fully understand this chapter.
1. Basic Principles of Infection Control
We are going to gain an understanding of microorganisms and what it means to be pathogenic. This lesson will go on to discuss the importance of infection control.
2. Role of the CDC & OSHA in Standard Precautions
We are going to look at the two governing agencies for standard precautions: the CDC and OSHA. This lesson will go into their respective roles in regards to standard precautions.
3. Medical Asepsis: Precautions & Case Example
Medical asepsis is a complex and very important topic. This lesson introduces you to its definition, core aspects, and tests your knowledge with a case example.
4. Surgical Asepsis: Sterilization & the Surgical Conscience
This lesson will define surgical asepsis, outline the different types of sterilization procedures, and go over the important concept of maintaining a surgical (sterile) conscience.
5. Antiseptics, Disinfectants & Sterilization
This lesson will discuss the differences between antisepsis, disinfection, and sterilization as well as some of the methods used for sterilization and antiseptic compounds you may have used yourself.
6. Aseptic Technique vs. Sterile Technique
In this lesson we will briefly review the differences between aseptic technique and sterile technique with a focus on distinguishing the level of cleanliness required in each method.
7. Autoclaves and Moist Heat Sterilization: Use With Surgical Tools
This lesson will discuss what an autoclave is, how it works, and what it's used for. We'll also discuss the disadvantages of an autoclave, bacterial endospores, and how sterilization is important in the context of nosocomial infections.
8. Using Alcohol as a Disinfectant and Antiseptic
This lesson will discuss how alcohol can be used as a disinfectant and antiseptic but not a sterilant. We'll also talk about what it kills and doesn't kill and why ethyl alcohol and isopropyl alcohol are the two most commonly used alcohol-based disinfectants.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Florida Prometric CNA Test: Practice & Study Guide course
- The Role of Nurse Aides
- Nursing Communication & Patient Rights
- Communication in Nursing
- Safety for Nurses
- Basic Hygiene for Nurses
- Patient Injuries & Infections
- Emergency Situations in Nursing
- Emergency Care & Procedures
- Personal Care in Nursing
- Circulation & Skin Integrity Concerns in Nursing
- Nutrition Basics for Nurses
- Understanding Fluid & Electrolyte Balance in Nursing
- Understanding Rest & Sleep in Nursing
- Elimination Overview for Nurses
- Assistive Devices & Mobility
- Psychosocial Concerns in Nursing
- Physical Assessment Techniques
- Physical Impairments
- Understanding Pain & Pain Management in Nursing
- Mental Health Concepts
- The Aging Process
- End of Life Care