About This Chapter
Benefits of Physical Fitness - Chapter Summary
The purpose of this chapter is to educate students about the benefits of physical fitness and how individuals achieve and maintain physical fitness. In this series of video lessons, expert instructors will explain how a regular exercise plan and balanced nutritious diet can help individuals obtain physical fitness and enjoy benefits that come with a healthy lifestyle. Some of the specifics that are covered in this chapter include:
- The necessary components of physical fitness
- Three components of exercise that help with physical fitness
- Mental, physical and lifespan effects of regular exercise
- The types and benefits of anaerobic and aerobic exercise
- Dietary needs for people in physical training
- Effects of exercise, diet and sleep on weight
If you have any questions about the material covered in the video lessons, expert instructors are available to answer them. This chapter includes lesson quizzes you may take to determine your mastery of the material and help you find areas to review. The jump feature in the video timelines take you directly to where those key topics were discussed in the video lessons. For an alternative way of reviewing the material covered in these lessons, written transcripts of the videos are also available.
1. What is Physical Fitness? - Definition & Importance
Physical fitness is your ability to carry out tasks without undue fatigue. Learn about the components of physical fitness: cardiorespiratory endurance, muscle strength, muscle endurance, flexibility and body composition and why they are important.
2. Physical Activity: Health, Fitness and Performance
Physical activity is any movement of your muscles that uses energy. Physical activity helps you achieve better health, fitness and performance. Learn how the overload principle and specificity principle improve your fitness and performance.
3. Components of Exercise Programs: Aerobics, Strength Training & Stretching
Ever wonder what stretching, strength training, and aerobic exercises are? You'll learn about them in this lesson. You'll also find out what some basic recommendations are for each type of exercise.
4. The Benefits of Regular Physical Activity: Mental Health, Stress & Life Span
The mind and body can greatly benefit from even 30 minutes of exercise a day. Find out exactly what impact regular exercise can have on your mind, body, and lifespan in this video lesson.
5. The Benefits of Exercise on the Developing Brain
The brain continues to change as you age and develop. This lesson examines the interaction of exercise with the brain, and subsequent changes to cognition.
6. Anaerobic Exercise: Definition, Benefits & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about anaerobic exercise and its health benefits. In addition, you will obtain knowledge on the various types of anaerobic workouts.
7. What Is Aerobic Exercise? - Definition, Benefits & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn about the characteristics of aerobic exercise and its many health benefits. You will also read about examples of different types of aerobic workouts.
8. Nutrients and Calorie Needs in an Athlete's Training Diet
Whether you are a casual athlete or a competitive endurance athlete, your body needs the right amount and mix of nutrients to maximize performance. Learn about an athlete's calorie needs and overall nutrient requirements during training in this lesson.
9. Maintaining a Healthy Weight: Strategies, Methods & Effectiveness
Three major but important strategies can help you maintain a healthy weight. Throughout this lesson, we'll take a look at exercise, diet, and (believe it or not) sleep as important strategies for achieving this goal.
10. Nutrients to Support Physical Activity
It is important to stay well-nourished with carbohydrates, protein, fats and various vitamins and minerals during physical activity. Learn about these nutrients that support physical activity as well as the benefits of water during active times.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 79 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NYSTCE Health Education: Practice and Study Guide course
- Human Growth & Development
- Childhood Growth & Development
- Adolescence Growth & Development
- Adult Growth & Development
- Human Reproduction, Pregnancy & Birth
- Introduction to Health & Wellness
- Introduction to Disease & Illness
- Mental Distress, Depression & Suicide
- Basic Principles of Nutrition
- Carbohydrates in Nutrition
- Lipids in Nutrition
- Protein in Nutrition
- Water as a Nutrient
- Minerals & Nutrition
- Vitamins in Nutrition
- Eating Disorders & Treatments
- Health Risk Education
- Injury Prevention Strategies
- Substance Use & Abuse
- Human Sexuality & Health
- Communication Processes & Skills
- Family & Social Systems
- Discrimination, Aggression & Conflict
- Media & Advertising of Health Information
- Resources for Health Information
- Health Care Systems
- Overview of Health Education Programs