About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering CAHSEE math material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to prepare for the CAHSEE math exam. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding how to solve problems that include percents, ratios and proportions
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about ratios, percents and proportions
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Calculations with Ratios, Percent & Proportions chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Calculations with Ratios, Percent & Proportions chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any ratios, percents and proportions question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a ratios, percents and proportions unit of a standard high school math course. Topics covered include:
- Understanding the applications of ratios and rates
- Understanding the applications of proportion
- Calculating ratios and proportions
- Understanding the applications of percents
- Solving word problems that use percents
- Solving interest problems
- Using compounding interest formulas
- Calculating taxes and discounts
- Solving problems with time
- Using distance formulas
1. Ratios & Rates: Definitions & Examples
If we have two items, or two numbers, and we want to compare them, what language can we use? How do we write the comparison? Find out as we learn about ratios and rates in this lesson.
2. How to Solve Problems with Money
Money matters, and knowing how much things cost will be useful no matter where you go. In this lesson, we'll learn the steps for solving word problems involving money.
3. Proportion: Definition, Application & Examples
When we want to compare one ratio, or fraction, to another equivalent ratio, it's a proportion. Learn all about proportions and practice solving proportion problems in this lesson.
4. Calculations with Ratios and Proportions
Even if only 99 out of 100 people need to know how to work with ratios, the odds that they'll be useful to you are very high. In this lesson, we'll practice performing calculations with ratios and proportions.
5. Percents: Definition, Application & Examples
Maybe you know that 95% is an A and 75% is a C. But what do those percents really mean? In this lesson, we'll learn about percents, including how to convert them to fractions and decimals.
6. How to Solve Word Problems That Use Percents
100 percent of percent problems can be solved if we follow the correct steps. In this lesson, we'll practice solving a variety of different percent problems.
7. How to Solve Interest Problems: Steps & Examples
If you want to know how your money can earn money, then it's essential to learn about solving interest problems. In this lesson, we'll practice calculating interest amounts and interest rates.
8. Compounding Interest Formulas: Calculations & Examples
Compound interest is a great way to have your money work for you. In this lesson, find out the formula for calculating compound interest and practice using the formula with several examples.
9. Taxes & Discounts: Calculations & Examples
When you go shopping, you don't want to be surprised by the amount of tax on an item. You also want to fully understand discounts to know how much you can save. In this lesson, we'll practice calculating both tax and discounts.
10. How to Solve Problems with Time
It's amazing how much time can be saved when people work together. In this lesson, we'll practice figuring out just how much time we're talking about as we solve problems involving time.
11. Distance Formulas: Calculations & Examples
Let's go on a road trip! In this lesson, we'll practice calculations involving distance, rate and time. We'll also look at how we determine the relationship between distance and fuel.
12. Fibonacci Sequence: Examples, Golden Ratio & Nature
The Fibonacci sequence is seen all around us. Learn how the Fibonacci sequence relates to the golden ratio and explore how your body and various items, like seashells and flowers, demonstrate the sequence in the real world.
13. Productivity Ratio: Formula, Calculation & Analysis
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of a productivity ratio. You will be given the formula to calculate productivity. The lesson will also analyze productivity in different realms.
14. What is Ratio in Math? - Definition & Overview
In this lesson, learn the different ways that mathematicians write ratios. Also learn how ratios are used when cooking. You will also discover how to effectively use ratios to help you get things done.
15. What is the Golden Ratio in Math? - Definition & Examples
Explore the golden ratio, a special number that has united mathematics, art, and nature. You will learn the definition of the golden ratio along with several different ways it can be represented and viewed in the world around you.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CAHSEE Math Exam: Help and Review course
- CAHSEE - Number Theory & Basic Arithmetic: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Problems with Decimals and Fractions: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Problems with Percents: Help and Review
- CAHSEE Radical Expressions & Equations: Help & Review
- CAHSEE Algebraic Expressions & Equations: Help & Review
- CAHSEE - Algebraic Linear Equations & Inequalities: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Problems with Exponents: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Overview of Functions: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Rational Expressions: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Matrices and Absolute Value: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Quadratics & Polynomials: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Geometry: Graphing Basics: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Graphing on the Coordinate Plane: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Measurement in Math: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Properties of Shapes: Help and Review
- CAHSEE Triangles & the Pythagorean Theorem: Help & Review
- CAHSEE - Perimeter, Area & Volume in Geometry: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Statistics, Probability & Working with Data: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Mathematical Reasoning: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Logic: Help and Review