About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering CAHSEE math material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to prepare for the CAHSEE math exam. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding how to simplify, solve and write algebraic equations
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about algebraic expressions and equations
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Problems with Algebraic Expressions and Equations chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Problems with Algebraic Expressions and Equations chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any algebraic expressions and equations question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in an algebraic expressions and equations unit of a standard high school math course. Topics covered include:
- Expressing relationships as algebraic expressions
- Evaluating simple algebraic expressions
- Combining like terms in algebraic expressions
- Simplifying algebraic expressions
- Writing equations with inequalities
- Defining, translating and solving one-step equations
- Solving equations using the addition principle
- Solving equations using the multiplication principle
- Collecting like terms on one side of an equation
- Solving equations containing parentheses
- Translating words into algebraic expressions
- Solving one-step algebra equations in word problems
- Solving algebra equations with multiple steps
- Solving multi-step algebra equations in word problems
1. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
2. Evaluating Simple Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll learn how to evaluate algebraic expressions, which involves substituting numbers for variables and following the order of operations. By the end of the lesson, you'll be an algebraic expression expert.
3. Combining Like Terms in Algebraic Expressions
When you have an algebraic expression that's much too long, it would be great if you could simplify it. That's when knowing how to combine like terms comes in. In this lesson, we'll learn the process of combining like terms and practice simplifying expressions.
4. Practice Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll practice simplifying a variety of algebraic expressions. We'll use two key concepts, combining like terms and the distributive property, to help us simplify.
5. Negative Signs and Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
Don't let negative signs get you down. In this lesson, we'll stay positive as we practice simplifying algebraic expressions that have those tricky negative signs.
6. Writing Equations with Inequalities: Open Sentences and True/False Statements
After watching this video lesson you will be able to write open sentences and true or false statements that use inequalities. You will also be able to solve and/or determine whether a particular inequality is true or false.
7. Common Algebraic Equations: Linear, Quadratic, Polynomial, and More
Watch this video lesson to see the kinds of equations that you will come across most often in algebra. Learn to distinguish them by just looking for the identifying components of each equation.
8. Defining, Translating, & Solving One-Step Equations
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can write a simple math equation when you are given a word problem. Learn how to translate words into math symbols. Learn the shortcuts to remember.
9. Solving Equations Using the Addition Principle
In algebra, we have certain principles that we use to help us solve equations quickly and easily. The addition principle is one of them. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can apply it to solve your equations.
10. Solving Equations Using the Multiplication Principle
When it comes to solving equations in algebra, one of the essential skills you need is the ability to multiply. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can use the multiplication principle to isolate your variable.
11. Solving Equations Using Both Addition and Multiplication Principles
Most times in algebra, to solve for your variable, you will need to perform more than one operation to get your answer. Watch this video lesson to learn the proper steps to take to solve these equations.
12. Collecting Like Terms On One Side of an Equation
When you are using algebra to solve your problems, one of your biggest and most often used methods is that of collecting like terms. Watch this video lesson to see how it is done.
13. Solving Equations Containing Parentheses
When we have parentheses in our equations it changes the way we solve them. Now we have an added step to do to remove those parentheses. Watch this video lesson to learn how it is done.
14. Translating Words to Algebraic Expressions
When it comes to word problems, the easiest way to solve them is to look for keywords and change them into math symbols. Watch this video lesson to find out what keywords you should look for and what math symbols they represent.
15. How to Solve One-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
Word problems may be considered the most evil math invention ever, but never fear! Just watch this video lesson and you will know how to methodically translate these word problems into simple math and then to solve it.
16. How to Solve Equations with Multiple Steps
In algebra, when you want to solve an equation for a particular variable, you will need to perform multiple steps that include adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing. Watch this video lesson to learn the order you need to do these steps.
17. How to Solve Multi-Step Algebra Equations in Word Problems
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve word problems like a pro. Learn how to setup your problem, write your equations and then solve your equations to find your answer.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CAHSEE Math Exam: Help and Review course
- CAHSEE - Number Theory & Basic Arithmetic: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Problems with Decimals and Fractions: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Problems with Percents: Help and Review
- CAHSEE Radical Expressions & Equations: Help & Review
- CAHSEE - Algebraic Linear Equations & Inequalities: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Problems with Exponents: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Overview of Functions: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Rational Expressions: Help and Review
- CAHSEE Ratios, Percent & Proportions: Help & Review
- CAHSEE - Matrices and Absolute Value: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Quadratics & Polynomials: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Geometry: Graphing Basics: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Graphing on the Coordinate Plane: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Measurement in Math: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Properties of Shapes: Help and Review
- CAHSEE Triangles & the Pythagorean Theorem: Help & Review
- CAHSEE - Perimeter, Area & Volume in Geometry: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Statistics, Probability & Working with Data: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Mathematical Reasoning: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Logic: Help and Review