About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering CAHSEE math material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to prepare for the CAHSEE math exam. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding scientific notation or how to simplify exponential expressions
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about exponents
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Problems with Exponents chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Problems with Exponents chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any exponents question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in an exponents unit of a standard high school math course. Topics covered include:
- Using scientific notation
- Identifying the five main exponent properties
- Defining zero and negative exponents
- Simplifying expressions with exponents
- Simplifying expressions with rational exponents
- Simplifying power of powers
1. Scientific Notation: Definition and Examples
Scientific notation is a special way of writing numbers so they are easier to work with. This lesson will define scientific notations and show some examples of how to convert numbers from standard notation to scientific notation and back.
2. How to Define a Zero and Negative Exponent
The zero and negative exponent properties are two you will use quite a lot in mathematics. The negative exponent property can be confusing, but when you remember a couple fun ideas, you will get it right every time!
3. How to Simplify Expressions with Exponents
In this video, we will put all of the exponent properties we have learned together. Don't let lots of numbers and letters confuse you! Simplifying exponents can be easy and fun!
4. Rational Exponents
In this video, learn how to go from a rational exponent to a radical expression and back. No tricks or magic, just good math! We'll review the basics and look at a few examples.
5. Simplifying Expressions with Rational Exponents
Simplifying expressions with rational exponents is so easy. In fact, you already know how to do it! We simply use the exponent properties but with fractions as the exponent!
6. Power of Powers: Simplifying Exponential Expressions
Mathematics is a very logical science. There is a rule for everything and not many exceptions to those rules. Working with exponents is no different. This lesson will describe the rule for raising a power to a power and also will give some examples in how to solve them.
7. How to Write 0.0005 in Scientific Notation: Steps & Tutorial
Scientists and engineers and others who deal with incredibly big or incredibly small numbers have devised scientific notation to help them work with those big and small numbers. Learn how simple it is in this lesson.
8. How to Show 10 to the 2nd Power: Steps & Tutorial
We have several ways to show 10 raised to the 2nd power. The appropriate way depends in which setting you are writing or typing. This lesson goes over three ways to show 10 raised to the 2nd power.
9. How to Write 1 Billion in Scientific Notation
Scientific notation provides a way to write very large or very small numbers in a nice compact form. Let's look at how to write 1 billion in scientific notation. This lesson will illustrate the steps involved in this process, and we will also see how to easily check our work.
10. How to Write 1 Trillion in Scientific Notation
Scientific notation can help us write really big numbers in a convenient format. Here, we'll see how to write one trillion in scientific notation. We'll also look at some fun facts about the number one trillion and the application of writing numbers in scientific notation.
11. How to Write 1 Million in Scientific Notation
Scientific notation is a convenient way of expressing large or small numbers. This lesson will explain the steps involved in writing 1 million using scientific notation. We will then take a look at a real-world situation in which scientific notation is used to write 1 million.
12. How to Write 1000 in Scientific Notation
Scientific notation sounds may sound scary, but it's really not. It's actually very easy! In this lesson, you'll learn how to write 1000 in scientific notation in a step by step fashion.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the CAHSEE Math Exam: Help and Review course
- CAHSEE - Number Theory & Basic Arithmetic: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Problems with Decimals and Fractions: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Problems with Percents: Help and Review
- CAHSEE Radical Expressions & Equations: Help & Review
- CAHSEE Algebraic Expressions & Equations: Help & Review
- CAHSEE - Algebraic Linear Equations & Inequalities: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Overview of Functions: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Rational Expressions: Help and Review
- CAHSEE Ratios, Percent & Proportions: Help & Review
- CAHSEE - Matrices and Absolute Value: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Quadratics & Polynomials: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Geometry: Graphing Basics: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Graphing on the Coordinate Plane: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Measurement in Math: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Properties of Shapes: Help and Review
- CAHSEE Triangles & the Pythagorean Theorem: Help & Review
- CAHSEE - Perimeter, Area & Volume in Geometry: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Statistics, Probability & Working with Data: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Mathematical Reasoning: Help and Review
- CAHSEE - Logic: Help and Review