About This Chapter
Critical Care Nursing Essentials - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
This chapter is filled with lessons you can use to ensure you have a good grasp of the essentials of critical care nursing. Explore all that critical care nurses should know in the field, including their required qualities, roles and skills. Also, explore critical care nursing priorities and care plans, details about cardiac critical care nursing and more. When ready, feel free to assess your understanding of the lessons by taking short quizzes and a chapter exam. Exploring this chapter will enable you to understand the following:
- Critically ill patient care
- Definition, principles and roles of the critical care nurse
- How to assess organizational structure in nursing
- Basics of the synergy model of nursing
- Critical care nursing diagnosis, management, scenarios and case studies
- Ethical issues that arise in critical care nursing
|Care of the Critically Ill Patient||Study what's required in the care of a critically ill patient.|
|Critical Care Nurse: Definition & Principles||Define the critical care nurse, and describe the principles required of this nurse.|
|Critical Care Nurse: Qualities, Skills & Roles||Describe the qualities, skills and roles of the critical care nurse.|
|Assessing Organizational Structure in Nursing||Find out more about the process of assessing organizational structure in nursing.|
|Synergy Model of Nursing||Explore the meaning and basics of the synergy model of nursing.|
|Critical Care Nursing Priorities||Examine the priorities of critical care nursing.|
|Critical Care Nursing Care Plans||Review specific care plans associated with critical care nursing.|
|Critical Care Nursing: Diagnosis & Management||Learn what's entailed in the diagnosis and treatment of critical care nursing.|
|Cardiac Critical Care Nursing||Read and learn about cardiac critical care nursing.|
|Critical Care Nursing: Scenarios & Case Studies||Discover the scenarios and case studies associated with critical care nursing.|
|Ethical Issues in Critical Care Nursing||Take a look at some ethical issues that critical care nurses sometimes encounter.|
1. Care of the Critically Ill Patient
Critically ill patients have many variables that must be monitored, and critical care nurses must be constantly aware of processes occurring with these patients. In this lesson we'll review the basics of the care of the critically ill patient.
2. Critical Care Nurse: Definition & Principles
Critical care nursing is an exciting and challenging field. There are many principles of critical care nurses that contribute to the care that they provide. This lesson describes the principles of critical care nursing.
3. Critical Care Nurse: Qualities, Skills & Roles
Critical care nursing is an exciting and challenging field. This lesson describes the numerous qualities, skills, and roles required of a critical care nurse.
4. Assessing Organizational Structure in Nursing
What is organizational structure, and what does it mean as a nurse? Read further to better understand the importance of all roles in healthcare organizations.
5. Synergy Model of Nursing
In this lesson, we'll explore the AACN Synergy Model in nursing. You'll learn what the model is used for, how to apply the model in nursing care, and what the numbering system entails.
6. Critical Care Nursing Priorities
A critical care nurse is faced with managing the care for those patients with life-threatening medical issues. In this lesson we will discover how a critical care nurse prioritizes the care of a patient.
7. Critical Care Nursing Care Plans
Critical care nursing is a demanding job for nurses. The patients are very ill and require specialized care designed by critical care nurses and established care plans depending on patient condition. In this lesson, we will review critical care nursing care plans.
8. Critical Care Nursing: Diagnosis & Management
Critical care nursing involves quick decisions in a fast, emergency environment. CCNs need knowledge in observation, monitoring, information sharing, teamwork, and medication safety for diagnosis and management of patients.
9. Cardiac Critical Care Nursing
In this lesson we will discuss the essentials of cardiac critical care nursing. We will follow Addison, RN throughout a day in the cardiovascular recovery unit and take a look at the scenarios she is presented with and how she applies her knowledge.
10. Critical Care Nursing: Scenarios & Case Studies
Critical care nursing is a complicated and rewarding field to work in. The patients are critically ill and require specialized care for the best outcomes. In this lesson we will review some critical care patient scenarios and case studies.
11. Ethical Issues in Critical Care Nursing
In this lesson we will discuss a few of the common ethical issues that critical care nurses deal with on a daily basis. We will also learn about legal documents that will help make decisions should ethical issues arise.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 79 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Critical Care Nursing course
- Evidence-Based Practice for Nursing
- Critical Care Nursing in Pediatrics
- Sleep & Sedation in Critical Care
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: Theory and Treatment
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: Practical Applications
- Critical Care Nursing for Skin Conditions
- Infections of the Blood & Respiratory System
- Treating Bleeding Issues
- Treating Wounds
- Types of Wounds
- Treating Ulcers
- Types & Treatment of Necrosis
- Critical Care Nursing for the Liver & Kidneys
- Critical Care Nursing for Eyes
- Dislocations of the Hands & Fingers
- Dislocations of the Knees & Ankles
- Dislocations of the Ribs & Spine
- Electric Shocks & Electrical Burns
- Hip Dislocations
- Shoulder & Elbow Dislocations
- TMJ & Jaw Dislocations
- Diagnosing & Treating Chest & Stomach Injuries
- Pelvic Injuries