About This Chapter
Critical Care Nursing for Eyes - Chapter Summary
Work through this self-paced chapter to review the causes, symptoms and treatments for a variety of eye diseases, such as orbital cellulitis, filamentary keratitis and HSV keratitis. You'll define eye terminology and evaluate the differences between these types of eye problems.
Take the lesson quizzes and chapter exam to make sure you fully understand the symptoms and treatments you study. The chapter is available at any time, and you can use any computer or mobile device to access it. You can also submit questions to our instructors if you need any extra help with the material.
How It Helps
The lessons in this chapter can help anyone who needs to learn or review information about eye-related critical care nursing. Aspiring healthcare workers and current medical professions may find these lesson beneficial for continuing education or training purposes. The chapter may also be used for skill and knowledge development in nursing.
By the end of this chapter, you'll be able to:
- Compare periorbital and orbital cellulitis symptoms and treatments
- Explain the causes and life cycle of acanthamoeba keratitis
- Recognize causes, symptoms and treatments for superficial punctate, filamentary, interstitial, HSV and marginal keratitis
1. Periorbital Cellulitis: Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson discusses a condition known as periorbital cellulitis or preseptal cellulitis. You'll learn about its major signs and symptoms as well as treatment options.
2. Periorbital Cellulitis: Causes & Complications
Periorbital cellulitis is most common among young children, but it can occur at any age. In this lesson, you will learn the causes and complications of periorbital cellulitis.
3. Orbital Cellulitis: Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson goes over a condition known as orbital cellulitis. Learn some of the many signs and symptoms a person with this problem may have, as well as the general treatment considerations.
4. Interstitial Keratitis: Causes & Treatment
Interstitial keratitis is a disorder most commonly tied to a well-known STI/STD. If you want to find out which one and what this disorder is, then read this lesson on its causes and treatments.
5. HSV Keratitis: Symptoms & Treatment
Herpes often gets a bad rap, as well it should! It can cause everything from cold sores to HSV keratitis. Find out what the latter is, as well as its symptoms and treatments, in this lesson.
6. Marginal Keratitis: Symptoms, Causes & Treatment
In this lesson, you'll learn the definition of marginal keratitis. You'll also find out what signs and symptoms someone with this condition may have and how it is commonly treated.
7. Ectopia Lentis: Symptoms & Treatment
Ectopia Lentis is a lens dislocation in the eye that has several causes. How do you know if you have it, and is there treatment for it? Read this lesson to find out.
8. Ectopia Lentis: Definition & Causes
Ectopia lentis, or lens displacement - have you ever heard about it? In this lesson, learn all about one of the rarest eye conditions, which can be caused by both your genes and trauma.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 79 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Critical Care Nursing course
- Critical Care Nursing Essentials
- Evidence-Based Practice for Nursing
- Critical Care Nursing in Pediatrics
- Sleep & Sedation in Critical Care
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: Theory and Treatment
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: Practical Applications
- Critical Care Nursing for Skin Conditions
- Infections of the Blood & Respiratory System
- Treating Bleeding Issues
- Treating Wounds
- Types of Wounds
- Treating Ulcers
- Types & Treatment of Necrosis
- Critical Care Nursing for the Liver & Kidneys
- Dislocations of the Hands & Fingers
- Dislocations of the Knees & Ankles
- Dislocations of the Ribs & Spine
- Electric Shocks & Electrical Burns
- Hip Dislocations
- Shoulder & Elbow Dislocations
- TMJ & Jaw Dislocations
- Diagnosing & Treating Chest & Stomach Injuries
- Pelvic Injuries