About This Chapter
Critical Care Nursing for Skin Conditions - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
This chapter can help you feel confident that you have a grasp of how critical care nursing manages skin conditions. Access and review lessons from your computer, smartphone or laptop to learn about skin breakdown from top instructors. Topics covered in this chapter include the definition of skin breakdown, its stages, treatment and much more. Multiple-choice quizzes and a chapter exam allow you to test your knowledge of the lessons. Upon completion of this chapter, you will know more about:
- The definition, stages and prevention of skin breakdown
- Symptoms of skin breakdown and how it is diagnosed
- How skin breakdown is treated
- The care plan for skin breakdown
|Skin Breakdown: Definition, Stages & Prevention||Define skin breakdown, and examine its stages and prevention.|
|Skin Breakdown: Symptoms & Diagnosis||Review the symptoms and diagnosis of skin breakdown.|
|Skin Breakdown: Treatment & Care Plan||Find out how skin breakdown is treated, and learn more about its care plan.|
1. Skin Breakdown: Definition, Stages & Prevention
Our skin serves as a barrier to our body and protects us from bacteria. It also helps regulate our temperature. In this lesson, we will learn about skin breakdown and the different stages. We will also learn how to prevent skin breakdown.
2. Skin Breakdown: Symptoms & Diagnosis
You may have heard the terms bed sore, pressure ulcer, or even decubitus ulcer. But did you know these terms refer to skin breakdown? Skin breakdown can lead to significant complications including pressure ulcers, infections, and even death.
3. Skin Breakdown: Treatment & Care Plan
Our skin has many purposes to protect our body. When skin breakdown occurs, it opens our body up for infection and other complications. In this lesson, we will learn about skin breakdown and how to treat it, by exploring an example care plan to prevent skin breakdown.
4. Cement Poisoning: Symptoms & Treatment
When the ingredients in cement are activated, they can cause cement poisoning. In this lesson, we will learn about the symptoms and treatment of cement poisoning.
5. How to Treat Concrete Burns
This lesson is going to discuss the first aid and advanced treatments that are required to treat concrete burns. We will also discuss why the treatments are done.
6. Vestibule of the Ear: Function & Vestibulitis
This lesson explains where the vestibule of the ear is located and its major function. You'll also learn a bit about a condition called vestibulitis, which is itself part of a broader problem.
7. Nasal Vestibulitis: Symptoms, Causes & Treatment
Sure, you've heard of the flu and pneumonia, but what about nasal vestibulitis? In this lesson, learn the symptoms, causes, treatment and complications of this fascinating illness of the nose.
8. Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy: Treatment & Side Effects
The benefits of oxygen may seem obvious, but larger concentrations of oxygen are scientifically proven to benefit a variety of conditions. Read this lesson to learn when hyperbaric oxygen therapy is recommended and some of its potential side effects.
9. Moisture-Associated Skin Damage (MASD): Definition & Treatment
Moisture-associated skin damage, caused by skin exposure to sweat, urine, and other forms of moisture, can cause harmful effects to the skin. Read this lesson to learn more about what causes MASD, along with potential treatment options to alleviate the symptoms of this condition.
10. Pseudomonas Folliculitis: Symptoms & Treatment
Do you love to go to the pool? Do you love waterslides? You might want to think twice about getting into the pool unless you're ok with Pseudomonas folliculitis. This lesson goes over this condition's symptoms and treatment.
11. What are Pilonidal Cysts? - Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
A cyst that develops at the tailbone, or a pilonidal cyst, can be uncomfortable and even painful. Read this lesson to learn what causes these abnormal growths, and how they can be effectively treated.
12. Blood Blisters: Causes & Treatment
Ouch! We have all experienced blisters before, but you may have never realized how they occur. In this lesson, we will learn more about your skin and how blisters form. We will also look at what causes blood blisters and how to treat them.
13. Dyshidrotic Eczema: Causes & Treatment
Dyshidrotic eczema is a rare and complex skin condition. In this lesson, we'll explore the causes and risk factors of this condition. We'll also look at preventative measures and available treatments.
14. Eczema Herpticum: Symptoms & Treatment
How would you like an infection on top of your existing skin condition? No thank you, right? Well this happens in eczema herpeticum. Find out more on this condition's symptoms and treatments.
15. What is Rosacea? - Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
While rosy cheeks might be cute in some cases, they might be a sign of a larger problem in others. Find out why in this lesson on rosacea as well as its causes, symptoms, and treatment options.
16. Chemical Burns: Definition & Symptoms
Chemical burns can occur in the work place and at home and are often caused by misuse of everyday substances. This lesson will review the definition, types of, and symptoms of chemical burns.
17. Chemical Burns: Treatment & First Aid
Chemical burns can be caused by many different commonly used household products such as bleach and other cleaners. Learn about how to treat and care for chemical burns.
18. Alkali Burns vs. Acid Burns
In this lesson, we'll go over the differences and similarities between alkali burns and acid burns. After learning what each one is, we'll talk about how their pathophysiology and treatment differ.
19. Chemical Burn Scars: Treatment & Prevention
Chemical burns occur when tissue is damaged by a strong irritant and often leaves an undesirable scar on the skin. This lesson will review prevention and treatment of the scars that can be left by chemical burns.
20. Second-Degree Burns: Treatment & Healing Stages
This lesson will discuss the primary treatment options and stages of healing for second-degree burns. Second-degree burns require more attention and carry a higher risk of infection. Treatment must begin immediately to reduce skin damage and infection.
21. First-Degree Burns: Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson will launch you into burn care by discussing first degree burn identification and treatment. The care of burns depends on the depth of the burn and the location. The best place to start is the top!
22. Third-Degree Burns: Symptoms, Treatment & Healing Stages
Third degree burns are the most serious burns. The success of these victims in recovery depends on expert care. The complex nature of treatment and recovery requires high-level training.
23. How to Treat a Burn from Boiling Water
Burns from hot liquids or steam can be serious. Prompt and effective treatment is important, but some common burn remedies can actually be harmful. In this course, you will learn the right way to treat this common injury.
24. Grease Burns: Treatment & First Aid
If you ever cook, stand in a kitchen while a person cooks, or eat hot food, you are at risk for getting a grease burn. Learn how to properly treat and care for grease burns.
25. Rope Burns: Treatment & First Aid
Rope burns occur when a rope runs across your skin quickly, causing great friction that can result in redness, blisters, or bleeding. Learn how to treat these injuries in both the short and long term.
26. Cryogenic Burns: Definition & Treatment
In this lesson, we'll be learning about the dangers of cryogenic burns. By the end of this lesson, you'll understand more about the pathophysiology of this rare burn, as well as first aid and medical treatment.
27. Rhinophyma: Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson goes over a condition once associated with alcoholism called rhinophyma. Find out what this is, what its signs and symptoms may be, and how it's generally treated.
28. Plantar Warts: Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
In this lesson, you will learn about the definition and location of plantar warts. You'll also learn about some of the major signs, symptoms, and treatment options for plantar warts.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Critical Care Nursing course
- Critical Care Nursing Essentials
- Evidence-Based Practice for Nursing
- Critical Care Nursing in Pediatrics
- Sleep & Sedation in Critical Care
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: Theory and Treatment
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: Practical Applications
- Infections of the Blood & Respiratory System
- Treating Bleeding Issues
- Treating Wounds
- Types of Wounds
- Treating Ulcers
- Types & Treatment of Necrosis
- Critical Care Nursing for the Liver & Kidneys
- Critical Care Nursing for Eyes
- Dislocations of the Feet & Toes
- Dislocations of the Hands & Fingers
- Dislocations of the Knees & Ankles
- Dislocations of the Ribs & Spine
- Hip Dislocations
- Shoulder & Elbow Dislocations
- Electric Shocks & Electrical Burns
- TMJ & Jaw Dislocations
- Bruises, Contusions & Hematomas
- Diagnosing & Treating Chest & Stomach Injuries
- Pelvic Injuries
- Cardiovascular Diseases