About This Chapter
Critical Care Nursing for the Liver & Kidneys - Chapter Summary
This comprehensive chapter explores diseases that affect the liver and kidneys. As you progress through this series of simple lessons, you'll outline the causes, symptoms and treatments for a variety of liver and kidney ailments, such as pyelonephritis, cholangitis and calciphylaxis.
The lessons highlight important definitions and explain liver and kidney concepts in a way that's easy to understand and remember. You can solidify your knowledge by taking the accompanying self-assessment quizzes. Our instructors are available to answer your questions, and you can access the chapter on any device that has an Internet connection.
How It Helps
If you're an aspiring healthcare worker or current medical professional, you can use these lessons to strengthen your understanding of critical care nursing concepts related to the liver and kidneys. The chapter can also be used alongside training and continuing education resources.
By the end of this chapter, you'll be able to:
- Evaluate the causes, symptoms and treatment for pyelonephritis
- Assess pyelonephritis treatments during pregnancy
- Compare cystitis and pyelonephritis
- Understand the symptoms and treatments for emphysematous pyelonephritis, cholangitis, calciphylaxis and proteus mirabilis infections
- Interpret guidelines for fluid replacement in adults
1. Pyelonephritis: Definition & Causes
This lesson defines pyelonephritis and discusses its causes, mainly bacteria. You'll also learn about how these bacteria find their way to the kidney from different routes.
2. Pyelonephritis: Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson briefly defines and explains pyelonephritis. Learn about this condition's numerous signs and symptoms and its most important treatment option, antibiotics.
3. Pyelonephritis in Pregnancy: Symptoms & Treatment
Pyelonephritis, a urinary tract infection that has spread into the kidneys, is a potentially serious condition in pregnancy. This lesson covers the symptoms and treatment of this condition.
4. What is the Difference Between Cystitis and Pyelonephritis?
Cystitis and pyelonephritis are two related terms that are often confused. If you want to learn their technical and common definitions as well as the difference between them, read this lesson!
5. Emphysematous Pyelonephritis (EPN): Symptoms & Treatment
Emphysematous pyelonephritis is a very serious infectious disorder that can result in a person's death. Find out what this is, what its signs and symptoms can be, and what its potential treatment options are.
6. Cholangitis: Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson defines a painful condition known as cholangitis. You'll learn its most important signs and symptoms, possible causes as well as general forms of treatment.
7. Fluid Replacement in Adults: Guidelines, Formula
In this lesson, you will learn about evaluating adult patients for fluid replacement, types of fluid replacement, fluid replacement guidelines, and formulas.
8. Calciphylaxis: Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson covers a rare and strange condition known as calciphylaxis. Read on to find out what it is, how it's connected to eggs, and its symptoms and treatment.
9. Proteus Mirabilis Infection: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
Proteus mirabilis is a type of bacteria that can cause infections in the body, particularly urinary tract infections. In this lesson, learn about the causes, symptoms, and treatments for Proteus mirabilis infections.
10. Epiploic Appendagitis: Causes & Treatment
This lesson goes over a very odd and rare condition known as epiploic appendagitis. You'll learn what it is, what causes it and how it's usually treated.
11. Liver Damage: Signs & Symptoms
Did you know that symptoms of liver problems might not appear until the liver has suffered extensive damage? Learn more about causes and signs of liver damage in this lesson.
12. What Causes Liver Damage?
In this lesson we'll be looking at the main causes of liver damage. We'll go over infections of the liver, alcohol abuse, genetics, and cancer as the four main causes of liver damage.
13. Liver Damage: Side Effects & Treatment
The liver is the largest gland of the body and assists in the regulation of glucose and protein. When there is a malfunction of the liver, all body systems are affected. This lesson will discuss side effects and treatments of liver damage.
14. How to Test for Liver Damage
This lesson goes over seven different tests that might indicate an abnormality related to the liver. You'll learn about ALT, AST, Bilirubin, ALP, GGT, Albumin and Prothrombin Time.
15. Bruised Kidney: Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
In this lesson, we will discuss what a bruised kidney is and what the symptoms and treatments are. We will also discuss causes of a bruised kidney and medical tests that may be performed.
16. Liver Laceration: Symptoms & Classification
An injury to your liver can be serious. In this lesson, we will learn about classifications of liver lacerations. We will also learn about symptoms of a liver laceration.
17. Liver Laceration: Management & Recovery
A laceration to your liver can be a life-threatening injury. In this lesson, we will learn about the management and recovery following a liver laceration.
18. Liver Laceration: Complications & Treatment
An injury to your liver can be life threatening. In this lesson, we will learn about complications from liver lacerations. We will also learn what treatment is indicated for liver injuries.
19. What is Hypertensive Kidney Disease?
Hypertensive kidney disease is kidney failure caused by high blood pressure. In this lesson, we will learn about blood pressure and how that causes hypertensive kidney disease.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Critical Care Nursing course
- Critical Care Nursing Essentials
- Evidence-Based Practice for Nursing
- Critical Care Nursing in Pediatrics
- Sleep & Sedation in Critical Care
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: Theory and Treatment
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: Practical Applications
- Critical Care Nursing for Skin Conditions
- Infections of the Blood & Respiratory System
- Treating Bleeding Issues
- Types of Wounds
- Treating Wounds
- Treating Ulcers
- Understanding Necrosis
- Critical Care Nursing for Eyes
- Electric Shocks & Electrical Burns
- Bruises, Contusions & Hematomas
- Diagnosing & Treating Chest & Stomach Injuries
- Pelvic Injuries
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Poison & Chemical Exposure
- Bacterial & Viral Tropical Diseases
- Fungal Tropical Infections
- Helminth Infections
- Protozoan Infections