About This Chapter
Critical Care Nursing for the Liver & Kidneys - Chapter Summary
This comprehensive chapter explores diseases that affect the liver and kidneys. As you progress through this series of simple lessons, you'll outline the causes, symptoms and treatments for a variety of liver and kidney ailments, such as pyelonephritis, cholangitis and calciphylaxis.
The lessons highlight important definitions and explain liver and kidney concepts in a way that's easy to understand and remember. You can solidify your knowledge by taking the accompanying self-assessment quizzes. Our instructors are available to answer your questions, and you can access the chapter on any device that has an Internet connection.
How It Helps
If you're an aspiring healthcare worker or current medical professional, you can use these lessons to strengthen your understanding of critical care nursing concepts related to the liver and kidneys. The chapter can also be used alongside training and continuing education resources.
By the end of this chapter, you'll be able to:
- Evaluate the causes, symptoms and treatment for pyelonephritis
- Assess pyelonephritis treatments during pregnancy
- Compare cystitis and pyelonephritis
- Understand the symptoms and treatments for emphysematous pyelonephritis, cholangitis, calciphylaxis and proteus mirabilis infections
- Interpret guidelines for fluid replacement in adults
1. Pyelonephritis: Definition & Causes
This lesson defines pyelonephritis and discusses its causes, mainly bacteria. You'll also learn about how these bacteria find their way to the kidney from different routes.
2. Pyelonephritis: Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson briefly defines and explains pyelonephritis. Learn about this condition's numerous signs and symptoms and its most important treatment option, antibiotics.
3. What is the Difference Between Cystitis and Pyelonephritis?
Cystitis and pyelonephritis are two related terms that are often confused. If you want to learn their technical and common definitions as well as the difference between them, read this lesson!
4. Emphysematous Pyelonephritis (EPN): Symptoms & Treatment
Emphysematous pyelonephritis is a very serious infectious disorder that can result in a person's death. Find out what this is, what its signs and symptoms can be, and what its potential treatment options are.
5. Cholangitis: Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson defines a painful condition known as cholangitis. You'll learn its most important signs and symptoms, possible causes as well as general forms of treatment.
6. Calciphylaxis: Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson covers a rare and strange condition known as calciphylaxis. Read on to find out what it is, how it's connected to eggs, and its symptoms and treatment.
7. Epiploic Appendagitis: Causes & Treatment
This lesson goes over a very odd and rare condition known as epiploic appendagitis. You'll learn what it is, what causes it and how it's usually treated.
8. Liver Damage: Signs & Symptoms
Did you know that symptoms of liver problems might not appear until the liver has suffered extensive damage? Learn more about causes and signs of liver damage in this lesson.
9. What Causes Liver Damage?
In this lesson we'll be looking at the main causes of liver damage. We'll go over infections of the liver, alcohol abuse, genetics, and cancer as the four main causes of liver damage.
10. Liver Laceration: Symptoms & Classification
An injury to your liver can be serious. In this lesson, we will learn about classifications of liver lacerations. We will also learn about symptoms of a liver laceration.
11. Liver Laceration: Management & Recovery
A laceration to your liver can be a life-threatening injury. In this lesson, we will learn about the management and recovery following a liver laceration.
12. Liver Laceration: Complications & Treatment
An injury to your liver can be life threatening. In this lesson, we will learn about complications from liver lacerations. We will also learn what treatment is indicated for liver injuries.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 79 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Critical Care Nursing course
- Critical Care Nursing Essentials
- Evidence-Based Practice for Nursing
- Critical Care Nursing in Pediatrics
- Sleep & Sedation in Critical Care
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: Theory and Treatment
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: Practical Applications
- Critical Care Nursing for Skin Conditions
- Infections of the Blood & Respiratory System
- Treating Bleeding Issues
- Treating Wounds
- Types of Wounds
- Treating Ulcers
- Types & Treatment of Necrosis
- Critical Care Nursing for Eyes
- Dislocations of the Hands & Fingers
- Dislocations of the Knees & Ankles
- Dislocations of the Ribs & Spine
- Electric Shocks & Electrical Burns
- Hip Dislocations
- Shoulder & Elbow Dislocations
- TMJ & Jaw Dislocations
- Diagnosing & Treating Chest & Stomach Injuries
- Pelvic Injuries