About This Chapter
Critical Care Nursing in Pediatrics - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
Whether working on a homework assignment, studying for a test or seeking general information, this chapter can help you better understand critical care nursing in pediatrics. Explore entertaining lessons that provide comprehensive looks at what's involved caring for a child in critical condition and much more. Study these concepts when convenient by accessing lessons anytime from your computer, smartphone or tablet. To assess your knowledge of critical care nursing in pediatrics, take short lesson quizzes and a chapter exam. In no time, you will have a grasp of the following:
- Critical care in pediatric nursing
- How to provide nursing care for a critically ill child
- Steps involved in transport for pediatric critical care
- Basics of cardiology in pediatric critical care nursing
|Pediatric Critical Care Nursing||Examine this overview of pediatric critical care nursing.|
|Nursing Care of the Critically Ill Child||Learn about the care required from nurses when working with critically ill children.|
|Pediatric Critical Care Transport||Discover how to transport critical care pediatric patients.|
|Cardiology in Pediatric Critical Care Nursing||Review how cardiology care is managed in critical care nursing for children.|
1. Pediatric Critical Care Nursing
In this lesson you will learn about the history of pediatric critical, educational requirements, and the role of the pediatric critical care nurse in the hospital setting. You will also learn some of the unique challenges pediatric critical care nurses face in their work.
2. Nursing Care of the Critically Ill Child
In this lesson, we will review the necessary nursing care for critically ill children. We will look at assessment and interventions that are necessary in providing care to children.
3. Pediatric Critical Care Transport
In this lesson, you will learn what pediatric critical care transport is, and learn the different types of transportation that are available to critical care pediatric patients and how it differs from a standard ambulance.
4. Cardiology in Pediatric Critical Care Nursing
In this lesson you will learn about caring for pediatric patients in the critical care setting relating to the heart. In this fast-paced environment, nurses and staff must constantly observe and treat heart-related signs they observe and symptoms the patient displays. You will learn some of this population's specialized needs, tips to reduce their anxiety, and roles of the team, especially the family in caring for the young ones.
5. Altered Mental Status in Children
There can be many causes for altered mental status in children. In this lesson, we will learn about some of those causes as well as what assessment and tests are needed to identify the cause.
6. Fluid Replacement in Pediatrics: Guidelines, Formula
The lesson discusses the formula and guidelines for administering fluid replacements to pediatric patients, causes of losses of fluids, and signs of fluid loss one might observe.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Critical Care Nursing course
- Critical Care Nursing Essentials
- Evidence-Based Practice for Nursing
- Sleep & Sedation in Critical Care
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: Theory and Treatment
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: Practical Applications
- Critical Care Nursing for Skin Conditions
- Infections of the Blood & Respiratory System
- Treating Bleeding Issues
- Types of Wounds
- Treating Wounds
- Treating Ulcers
- Understanding Necrosis
- Critical Care Nursing for the Liver & Kidneys
- Critical Care Nursing for Eyes
- Electric Shocks & Electrical Burns
- Bruises, Contusions & Hematomas
- Diagnosing & Treating Chest & Stomach Injuries
- Pelvic Injuries
- Cardiovascular Diseases
- Poison & Chemical Exposure
- Bacterial & Viral Tropical Diseases
- Fungal Tropical Infections
- Helminth Infections
- Protozoan Infections