About This Chapter
Dinosaur Classifications - Chapter Summary
Whether you're learning about dinosaur classifications for the first time or hope to expand or refresh your current understanding, this chapter can help! Review fun lessons developed by top instructors to gain greater insight into bipedal, saurischian, ceratopsian, tyrannosaurid and other types of dinosaurs. Study their definitions, characteristics, families and more. When ready, gauge your comprehension of these dinosaurs by taking multiple-choice quizzes and a practice exam. Completing this chapter will enable you to:
- List facts and characteristics of ornithischian and ornithopod dinosaurs
- Define and share facts about sauropod dinosaurs
- Provide the definition of the Ceratosaurus
- Describe and share facts about coelurosauria dinosaurs
- Identify and discuss types of stegosaurian and raptor dinosaurs
- Discuss types and characteristics of the Abelisauridae group of dinosaurs
- Share the definition of and facts about the Tyrannosaurus rex
- Explain facts about carcharodontosaurids and duck-billed dinosaurs
- Examine the family of Spinosauridae dinosaurs
1. Saurischian Dinosaurs: Facts & Examples
What are Saurischian dinosaurs and what separates them from others? Are there any special traits to identify them? In this lesson, we will explore the answer to these questions and even take a look at different dinosaurs in this group.
2. Ornithischian Dinosaurs: Types & Characteristics
What is an Ornithischian dinosaur? How were they different from the other types? What are their defining characteristics? If you have these questions, take a look at the following lesson to get all the answers and then some.
3. Bipedal Dinosaurs: Types & Examples
Bipedal dinosaurs include some of the scariest dinosaurs that roamed the earth. This lesson will define bipedal and then will highlight some truly amazing bipedal dinosaurs (don't worry, they're not ALL scary).
4. Sauropod Dinosaurs: Definition & Facts
Do you know what the largest animals to have ever walked the Earth were called? You'll find out on this lesson about the size, characteristics, and life of sauropods.
5. Ornithopod Dinosaurs: Facts & Characteristics
What are ornithopod dinosaurs? In this lesson, you'll learn the answer to this question, as well as a lot of other interesting facts and characteristics about some of the ornithopods.
6. Ceratosaurus: Definition & Facts
Ceratosaurus nasicornis sounds like a bunch of gibberish. But once you're done with this lesson, you'll not only understand why this dinosaur's name makes perfect sense, you'll also learn a whole lot more about this creature in the process.
7. Coelurosauria Dinosaurs: Definition & Facts
The term Coelurosauria might seem like a bunch of random letters strung together, but in this lesson you'll be really surprised to learn some fascinating facts about this group of dinosaurs.
8. Ceratopsian Dinosaurs: Types & Facts
Did an epic battle between Triceratops and T. rex ever take place? You'll find out in this lesson as you learn some facts about, and characteristics of, Ceratopsian dinosaurs.
9. Stegosaurian Dinosaurs: Types & Facts
Learning about dinosaurs is always fun, right? Well, the Stegosaurian dinosaurs are no exception. This lesson will highlight this group of stout herbivores and give some information on several genera that fall under this grouping.
10. Abelisauridae: Types & Characteristics
What is an Abelisauridae? How big where they and what were some of their defining characteristics? If you want the answer to these questions, take a look at the lesson below to dig up the truth.
11. Raptor Dinosaurs: Types & Facts
If you have seen the movie, Jurassic Park you may think you know all about raptors, but there is more. Raptors are a group of carnivorous dinosaurs that most likely evolved into birds. Read on to learn what these dinosaurs looked like and what makes them unique from other types of dinosaurs.
12. Tyrannosaurid Dinosaurs: Family & Types
Tyrannosaurid dinosaurs once ruled the earth. This group of top predators was fierce and tyrannical, as their name implies. This lesson will go over some of the characteristics this group shared and then will highlight some Tyrannosaurid genera.
13. Tyrannosaurus Rex: Definition & Facts
You may have had one of these in your nightmares: the famous Tyrannosaurus Rex, a fearsome dinosaur. Read this lesson to find out more amazing facts about it.
14. Carcharodontosaurids: Definition & Facts
What are Carcharodontosaurids (car-care-uh-DON-tow-sore-ids)? How big were these dinosaurs and what were some of their important characteristics? In this lesson, we will define and examine some of the important facts about Carcharodontosaurids.
15. Duck-Billed Dinosaurs: Facts & Types
Did some dinosaurs really have and use snorkels to help the swim in the water? In this lesson, you're going to find out the answer as you learn about duck-billed dinosaurs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 79 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Dinosaur Study Guide course