About This Chapter
Below is a sample breakdown of the DNA Replication chapter into a 5-day school week. Based on the pace of your course, you may need to adapt the lesson plan to fit your needs.
|Day||Topics||Key Terms and Concepts Covered|
|Monday||Models of DNA replication||Experiments proving or disproving the semi-conservative, conservative and dispersive models of DNA replication|
|Tuesday||DNA helicase||DNA helicase's role in separating the parental and daughter strands of DNA to prepare for replication|
|Wednesday||DNA polymerase and RNA primase||RNA primase and the synthesis of RNA primer; DNA polymerase and the addition of daughter nucleotides|
|Thursday||Leading and lagging strands||Continuous and discontinous replication; the function of DNA ligase in joining together Okazaki fragments|
|Friday||DNA replication review||An overview of the roles DNA helicase, RNA primase, DNA polymerase and DNA ligase play in the replication process|
1. What Is DNA Replication? - Conservative, Semi-Conservative & Dispersive Models
How do we know that DNA replication is semi-conservative? How do we know it's not conservative or dispersive? Let's follow the famous experiment by Meselson and Stahl to find out!
2. How Helicase Unwinds the DNA Double Helix in Preparation for Replication
How does semi-conservative replication begin? Discover how DNA helicase creates a replication fork to unwind the complicated DNA molecule and allow daughter strands to form on the parental template.
3. How DNA Polymerase and RNA Primase Initiate DNA Replication
How do enzymes assist in starting DNA replication? In this lesson, we explore the work of a contributing enzyme, DNA polymerase, and learn how the RNA primer is made by the action of RNA primase.
4. DNA Replication: The Leading Strand and DNA Polymerase Activities
How does replication occur in the antiparallel DNA molecule? In this lesson, explore the significance of the leading and lagging strands, and learn how Okazaki fragments and RNA ligase make DNA replication possible.
5. DNA Replication: Review of Enzymes, Replication Bubbles & Leading and Lagging Strands
Feeling lost in the thorny details of DNA replication? This lesson provides an overview of semi-conservative replication, with a focus on putting together all of the concepts involved. We'll review the work of each enzyme on our way to completing the big picture of DNA replication.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Biology 101 Syllabus Resource & Lesson Plans course
- Science Basics: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Review of Inorganic Chemistry For Biologists Lesson Plans
- Introduction to Organic Chemistry: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Nucleic Acids - DNA and RNA: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Enzymatic Biochemistry: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Cell Biology: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- The Transcription and Translation Process: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Genetic Mutations: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Metabolic Biochemistry: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Cell Division: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Plant Biology: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Plant Reproduction and Growth: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Physiology I: Human Body Systems Lesson Plans
- Physiology II: Human Body Systems Lesson Plans
- Animal Reproduction and Development: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Genetics - Principles of Heredity: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Principles of Ecology: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Principles of Evolution: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- The Origin and History of Life On Earth: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Phylogeny and the Classification of Organisms: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Social Biology: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Basic Molecular Biology Lab Techniques: Biology 101 Lesson Plans
- Analyzing Scientific Data: Biology 101 Lesson Plans