About This Chapter
Earth's Timeline and Evolution - Chapter Summary
If you would like to learn about the timeline of the evolution of life on Earth, you can go through this chapter and read over each of the comprehensive lessons we have included there. Each lesson is compiled by an experienced instructor, who will share his or her expertise with you in an easy-to-use online format.
Once you are comfortable with your knowledge of each topic, you can answer the questions provided in the lessons' practice quizzes to make sure that you have accurately understood some of the main points from each lesson. The final chapter exam will test your understanding of the most significant information from the overall subject. You can also message the lesson instructors if you would like clarification on certain points. Once you have completed this chapter, you will be able to:
- Identify the major eras of the history of life on Earth and their characteristics
- Define evolutionary change
- Recognize the forms of evolutionary change
1. The History of Life on Earth: Timeline and Characteristics of Major Eras
The Earth is over 4.6 billion years old. Ever wonder what happened during certain time periods in that large amount of time? We will look at the major eons and eras of Earth's history along with important characteristics of each.
2. Evolutionary Change: Definition and Forms
You've probably heard of Charles Darwin and evolution. We know that evolution is change over time, but here we will look at how these changes may have occurred during Earth's history.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Biology 101: Intro to Biology course
- Basic Terms & Skills in Biological Science
- Inorganic Chemistry Review for Biology
- Introduction to Organic Molecules & Heterotrophs
- The Nucleotide Structure of DNA & RNA
- Enzyme Function, Interactions & Regulation
- Cell Membrane Model, Components & Transport
- Cell Structure, Organelles & Organelle Functions
- Processes & Steps of DNA Replication
- Transcription, Translation & Protein Synthesis
- Types & Effects of Genetic Mutations
- Cellular Metabolism & Respiration
- Cell Growth & The Process of Cell Division
- The Musculoskeletal, Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive & Excretory Systems
- The Nervous System & Endocrine System
- Reproduction, Development & Survival in Animals
- Mendelian Genetics & Mechanisms of Heredity
- Ecology Principles & Community Ecology
- Evolutionary Principles & Natural Selection
- Taxonomic Classification & Phylogeny
- Genetic Engineering & DNA Sequencing
- Studying for Biology 101