About This Chapter
Elements of Harmony in Music - Chapter Summary
Our instructors bring the elements of harmony in music to life, providing fun overviews through engaging lessons. Explore these lessons to examine this subject closely. Once you've completed this chapter, you will have the knowledge to:
- Differentiate between simple and compound intervals
- Define various types of intervals and main intervals
- Share examples of triads in music
- Identify and describe the chord families
- Provide examples of seventh chords and describe chord inversions
- Detail the history of and songs associated with the flatted fifth
- Explain the meaning of dissonance in music
- Describe texture and voices in music
This chapter offers the flexibility to select any number of lessons you'd like to view in your sequence of choice. Revisit these lessons as often as you'd like to gain full comprehension of the elements of harmony in music. When ready, check your understanding of the lessons by taking multiple-choice quizzes and a chapter exam. If you develop questions about specific lesson topics, feel free to submit them to our experts.
1. Main Intervals: Prime, Whole Tone, Semitone & Tritone
The relationship between the various notes in music matters. In this lesson, we are going to check out the concept of intervals, and look at some of the basic degrees of intervals in music.
2. What are Triads in Music? - Definition & Examples
In music, a triad is a chord of three notes played simultaneously. Triads come in different varieties such as major, minor, augmented, and diminished. In this lesson, we will learn about triads in every form.
3. What are Seventh Chords? - Definition & Examples
Composing music can be lots of fun, but you need to understand your chords to get it just right. In this lesson, we'll look at seventh chords, talk about how to make them, and see how to use them.
4. Chord Inversions: Triads & Seventh Chords
Chords are the foundation of any composition, so it's important to know how to build them. In this lesson, we'll look at inverted chords and see how a composition is affected when chords are inverted.
5. The Flatted Fifth: History, Music & Songs
Music is full of tricks to create certain feelings or emotions. Today, we'll look at one of the most powerful intervals, the flattened fifth, and see how it has been used throughout history.
6. Dissonance in Music: Definition & Examples
Dissonance is a sound created when two discordant notes are played in unison and is contrasted with harmony or consonance. Examples of dissonance in music can be found in the work of Beethoven, Chopin and Nirvana.
7. Texture and Voices in Music: Definition & Overview
Why are background instruments important? What do 'thin' and 'thick' mean in a musical sense? Let's find out more about texture and how we use it to describe music.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 79 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Music EC-12: Practice and Study Guide course
- About the TExES Music EC-12 Exam
- Elements of Music Notation
- Elements of Pitch
- Elements of Melody
- Elements of Tone
- Elements of Chord Progression
- Nonharmonic Tones
- Meter & Rhythm
- Musical Forms
- Music Sections
- Composing, Arranging & Improvising Music
- Vocal Range
- Principles of Singing
- Understanding Instruments
- Opera and Orchestral Music
- Medieval Music
- Music of the Renaissance
- Music in the Baroque Period
- The Classical Period in Music
- The Romantic Period in Music
- Jazz Music
- Musical Theater and Popular Music
- Music of the Modern Era
- Contemporary Music
- Music of the World
- Music Instruction in Texas
- Music Teaching Strategies