About This Chapter
Ethical, Social & Legal Responsibilities of Leadership - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our instructors provide an overview of a variety of issues, theories and concepts pertaining to the ethical, social and legal responsibilities of leadership. You can expect to study topics like social responsibility, workplace diversity, business ethics, behavioral management theory and much more. To help you retain your understanding of these topics, we've included short lesson quizzes and a chapter exam. You can access this chapter at any time using any computer or mobile device. When you're finished, you should be able to :
- Evaluate the importance of social responsibility and business ethics in organizations
- Differentiate between a compliance-based and integrity-based code of ethics
- Assess multiple workplace diversity issues
- Explain the role of ethics in project management
- Understand basic governmental regulation and management concepts
- Summarize behavioral management theory
- Analyze the effect of affirmative action on workplace diversity
1. Social Responsibility in Organizations
Watch this video lesson to learn how companies put into practice their social responsibilities. Learn how a socially responsible company helps the environment, people, and employees along with giving freely to society.
2. Business Ethics in Contemporary Businesses
The concept of ethics is easy to give examples of but hard to define. In this lesson, we will discuss ethics and how they apply in the business world, as well as discuss an example of an ethical situation using Enron.
3. Code of Ethics: Compliance-based and Integrity-based
A business may develop a code of ethics for different reasons. In this lesson, you'll learn what a code of ethics is and the difference between a compliance-based code of ethics and an integrity-based code of ethics.
4. Diversity Issues in the Workplace: Discrimination, Sexism, Ageism & More
As our world gets smaller, each workplace becomes more diverse. Understanding how to work with individuals from different backgrounds is important for a successful organization. We will address diversity issues in this lesson
5. Ethics in Project Management
This lesson explores what ethics means in project management and why it's important. By the end of the lesson, you'll be able to identify ethical and unethical situations in project management.
6. Governmental Regulation and Management
In the U.S., we have several different government agencies that help protect the rights and safety of our workers. This lesson explores and explains these agencies and how they relate to management.
7. Behavioral Management Theory: Understanding Employee Behavior & Motivation
Behavioral management theory was developed in response to the need to account for employee behavior and motivation. The shift moved management from a production orientation (classical leadership theory) to a leadership style focused on the workers' human need for work-related satisfaction and good working conditions.
8. Affirmative Action: Definition and Effects on Diversity in the Workplace
Affirmative action creates a diverse workplace for organizations. Legislation was passed to help protected groups not have an adverse impact on employment opportunities. In this lesson, find out the difference between protected groups and adverse impacts.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 302: Foundations of Leadership course
- Basics of Leadership in the Workplace
- Leadership Styles & Traits
- Leadership & Management Functions
- Effective Leadership & Leadership Theories
- Decision-Making in Leadership & Business
- Communication in Leadership
- Leading Work Groups & Teams
- Managing Conflict & Conflict Resolution
- International Business Leadership
- Required Assignments for Business 302