About This Chapter
Evidence-Based Practice for Nursing - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
If you're looking for detailed information about evidence-based practice for nursing, you've reached the right place! This chapter is filled with engaging lessons you can review to boost your knowledge of this comprehensive approach to medical care. Explore advantages and disadvantages of evidence-based practice along with its use in various nursing fields. Also, examine its models, guidelines and principles. Gauge your knowledge of the lessons by taking short self-assessment quizzes, and submit any questions you have about chapter topics to our experts. Using these resources can ensure you understand:
- Evidence-based practice principles, guidelines, steps, models, hierarchy and examples
- How health professionals and various nursing fields use this practice
- The importance of evidence-based practice and how it is used to improve patient outcomes
- Steps for implementing evidence-based practice
- Tips for using this practice in pain management and wound care
- How to use evidence-based practice for autism and treating strokes
|Evidence-Based Practice: Definition & Principles||Define evidence-based practice, and describe its principles.|
|Evidence-Based Practice for Health Professionals||Learn about the use of evidence-based practice among health professionals.|
|Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing||Study ways that the nursing field uses this practice.|
|Evidence-Based Practice in Critical Care Nursing||Review the benefits of using evidence-based practice in critical care nursing.|
|Examples of Evidence-Based Practice||Take a close look at some examples of ways medical professionals use this practice.|
|Evidence-Based Practice: Guidelines & Steps||Examine guidelines and steps for using evidence-based practice in the medical field.|
|Why is Evidence Based Practice Important?||Read about the reasons evidence-based practice is important in the medical field.|
|Improving Patient Outcomes with Evidence Based Practice||Explore ways patient outcomes can improve through the use of this practice.|
|Evidence-Based Practice: Advantages & Disadvantages||Discover some advantages and disadvantages of utilizing evidence-based practice.|
|Implementation of Evidence-Based Practice||Find out common steps for implementing this practice.|
|Evidence-Based Practice: Models & Hierarchy||Understand the models and hierarchy of evidence-based practice.|
|Evidence-Based Practice in Pain Management||See how this practice is utilized in pain management.|
|Evidence-Based Practice in Wound Care||Describe how medical professionals take advantage of evidence-based practice in wound care.|
|Evidence-Based Practice in Pediatric Nursing||Describe how the pediatric nursing field uses this practice.|
|Evidence-Based Practice in Psychiatric Nursing||Review ways psychiatric nursing utilizes evidence-based practice.|
|Evidence-Based Practice for Autism||Take a look at how autism is managed with this practice.|
|Evidence-Based Practice in Treating Strokes||Describe ways strokes are treated with help from evidence-based practice.|
1. Evidence-Based Practice: Definition & Principles
If you were a patient in the hospital, would you want the best and most recent evidence to be used in your care? In this lesson, we will learn about the benefits of using evidence-based practice in nursing.
2. Evidence-Based Practice for Health Professionals
Healthcare professionals treat their patients in the best way they know how. In this lesson, you will learn how evidence-based practice helps achieve that goal.
3. Evidence-Based Practice in Nursing
Healthcare is always changing and evolving. As such, nurses must constantly update their practice to keep up with change and ensure the best patient outcomes. This lesson discusses evidence-based practice and how it affects nursing.
4. Evidence-Based Practice in Critical Care Nursing
Healthcare is progressively changing. Nurses in the critical care area must keep up with the latest evidence in order to ensure the best outcomes possible in their patients. In this module, we will review evidence-based practice and how it affects critical care nursing.
5. Examples of Evidence-Based Practice
It is not uncommon to hear the term, evidence-based practice, in the medical field. But you may wonder what that means. We will review what evidence-based practice is and how it can be implemented.
6. Evidence-Based Practice: Guidelines & Steps
This lesson cover the six important steps regarding the evidence-based practice process in a medical practice. You'll learn everything from how to ask the right question to what to do with the evidence you collect.
7. Why is Evidence Based Practice Important?
Once, nursing care was guided solely by tradition. Now, nursing is guided by evidence-based practice, which uses a scientific approach to determine the best course of action for patients.
8. Improving Patient Outcomes with Evidence Based Practice
In this lesson, we take a look at the history and process of evidence based practice (EBP) and explain how it can be used to improve patient outcomes in the healthcare field.
9. Evidence-Based Practice: Advantages & Disadvantages
In this lesson, we will define evidence-based practice. We will also discuss the advantages and disadvantages of evidence-based practice as a method of caring for people.
10. Implementation of Evidence-Based Practice
In this lesson, you will learn about evidence-based practice and how it is used to solve problems and improve quality in nursing care through implementation by putting new techniques into daily practice.
11. Evidence-Based Practice: Models & Hierarchy
In this lesson, we'll define what evidence-based practice is and look at how evidence-based practice models and hierarchy's are used to help healthcare team members determine the best patient care and treatment plans.
12. Evidence-Based Practice in Pain Management
This lesson focuses on the use of evidence based nursing practice for effective pain management. There are many types of treatments available. Included in the lesson are a few examples of the different types of treatments that can be used to alleviate pain.
13. Evidence-Based Practice in Wound Care
Pressure ulcers are a huge burden on patients and on the healthcare system. In this lesson, we will learn more about pressure ulcers and evidence-based practice in managing them.
14. Evidence-Based Practice in Pediatric Nursing
This lesson provides an introduction to evidenced-based practice in pediatric nursing using an easy to follow example. It covers the ask, acquire, appraise, and apply model.
15. Evidence-Based Practice in Psychiatric Nursing
With all the new medications, treatments, and protocols each year, psychiatric nurses must stay abreast of these changes to provide the best care. This lesson will define and discuss the role of evidence-based practice in psychiatric nursing.
16. Evidence-Based Practice for Autism
In this lesson, you will learn about autism and signs and symptoms associated with it. We will also discuss different scientifically-proven methods that have been shown to help children with autism.
17. Evidence-Based Practice in Treating Strokes
Each year approximately 700,000 strokes occur in the United States. The majority of these strokes result in permanent disabilities. In this lesson we will learn about strokes and the evidence-based practice in treating them.
18. Evidence-Based Practice in Anesthesiology
In this lesson you will learn about each of the three components of evidence-based practice, how to identify each, and how they are applied in the science of anesthesia.
19. Evidence-Based Practice in Midwifery
Evidence-based healthcare is becoming commonplace across the different medical disciplines. In this lesson, we'll learn how evidence-based healthcare influences how midwives develop care plans for their patients.
20. Evidence-Based Practice in Social Work
Social workers find the best way to help individuals or groups that require it. One way to make this determination is with evidence-based practice. Use this lesson to learn about this process and how it is incorporated into social work.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Critical Care Nursing course
- Critical Care Nursing Essentials
- Critical Care Nursing in Pediatrics
- Sleep & Sedation in Critical Care
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: Theory and Treatment
- Deep Vein Thrombosis: Practical Applications
- Critical Care Nursing for Skin Conditions
- Infections of the Blood & Respiratory System
- Treating Bleeding Issues
- Treating Wounds
- Types of Wounds
- Treating Ulcers
- Types & Treatment of Necrosis
- Critical Care Nursing for the Liver & Kidneys
- Critical Care Nursing for Eyes
- Dislocations of the Feet & Toes
- Dislocations of the Hands & Fingers
- Dislocations of the Knees & Ankles
- Dislocations of the Ribs & Spine
- Hip Dislocations
- Shoulder & Elbow Dislocations
- Electric Shocks & Electrical Burns
- TMJ & Jaw Dislocations
- Bruises, Contusions & Hematomas
- Diagnosing & Treating Chest & Stomach Injuries
- Pelvic Injuries
- Cardiovascular Diseases