About This Chapter
Food Preparation - Chapter Summary
These short and engaging lessons provide a high-level overview of food preparation methods. Inside the chapter, you'll find short and engaging lessons that cover food preparation vocabulary, skills, equipment, safety standards and more. You'll also examine the basics of bartending and study the essential requirements of halal and kosher food preparation.
You can study this chapter in sequence or jump to specific topics that you want to focus on. Each lesson comes with a short quiz to help you ensure your comprehension of the material. The chapter is completely self-paced and you can access the lessons using almost any device that has an Internet connection.
How It Helps
Proper food preparation is essential for ensuring the safety of restaurant and hotel customers. These food preparation lessons can help a variety hospitality professionals learn or review fundamental food preparation methods, rules, equipment and more. If you're new to the industry, these lessons can equip you with the knowledge you need to safely prepare food. These lessons can benefit industry professionals who want to transition into a food service position and who need to demonstrate competency in food preparation.
Upon completion of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Recognize different types of food preparation
- Define prepared food
- List food preparation terminology
- Use basic skills for food preparation
- Identify equipment that's used to prepare food
- Consider food preparation regulations and safety standards
- Know hygiene rules and how to use gloves while preparing food
- Understand how to prepare halal and kosher food
- Assess bartending supplies, tools, vocabulary and tips
1. Food Preparation Regulations
This lesson describes basic food safety regulations that are required to be followed by food handlers when preparing and serving food. Temperature control, personal hygiene, and operational cleanliness are discussed.
2. Food Preparation: Hygiene & Safety
In this lesson, we will review basic food safety guidance in a commercial setting. We will give special focus to maintaining a clean and hygienic food prep area, as well as storing, cooking, and serving food at safe temperatures.
3. Bartending Basics: Supplies & Tools
A commercial bar must have a number of basic tools and supplies on hand to quickly and efficiently prepare customer orders. Quick service and minimal waste help a bar maintain profits.
4. Bartending Basics: Tips & Terminology
In this lesson we will review some of the common drink terminology used in a bar setting and how when combined with a few personal bartender tips, it results in customer satisfaction.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality & Tourism Management Training course
- Hospitality Industry Basics
- Operating in the Hospitality Industry
- Hospitality Management
- The International Hospitality Industry
- Customer Service & Housekeeping
- Restaurant Services & Types
- Menu Planning
- Food Storage & Emergency Preparation
- Inventory Control
- Marketing in Hospitality
- Financial Management in Hospitality