About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other GED science work.
- Identify the health issues and concerns concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our GED science tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about health issues and concerns and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding the health status of Americans, human immune system, viruses, disease control, substance abuse, alcohol and tobacco use, environmental health or any other health issues and concerns topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their science learning
- Prefer learning science visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their health issues and concerns unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in GED science
- Don't have access to their science teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about health issues and concerns simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live GED science tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about health issues and concerns on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Describe the major health problems faced by Americans.
- Discuss the structure and function of viruses.
- Take a look at methods of disease control and prevention.
- Differentiate between infection and disease.
- List some of the causes of substance abuse disorders.
- Identify addictive behaviors.
- Describe the trends in alcohol and tobacco use in the U.S.
- Understand the long-term effects of smoking.
- Explain how smoking affects others and the environment.
- List the four types of environmental hazards.
- Learn how to assess risks to environmental health.
1. Major Health Problems in the United States
Ever wonder what the most common health-related problems are in the United States? You're about to find out what they are and how some of them are related.
2. What Are Viruses? - Definition, Structure & Function
In this lesson, you'll learn some historical facts about viruses and the material they are composed of. Find out more as we review the capsid, nucleic acids, the viral envelope, viruses, virions, bacteriophages and virology.
3. Disease Control & Prevention
This lesson will discuss the many different ways by which people can control disease. Everything from vaccination to sterilization and beyond will be mentioned so that you can better appreciate the large arsenal of tools at our disposal.
4. The Differences Between Infection and Disease
This lesson will go over the differences between an infection and a disease. We'll cover everything from prions and infectivity to opportunistic infections and idiopathic disease. We'll also learn what the etiology of disease is and much more.
5. Substance Use, Abuse, and Dependence: Definition and Causes of Substance Disorders
Substance use, abuse, and dependence are often confused with each other. In this lesson, we'll look at the differences between the three and common causes of addiction.
6. Addiction and Addictive Behaviors: Types & Warning Signs
This lesson will define addiction and addictive behavior in addition to taking a look at what addictive behaviors have in common and what things to look out for in a potential addict.
7. Alcohol Use in the United States: Trends in Consumption
You more than likely have had alcohol once in your life. At least that's what statistics point to. In fact, this lesson will be chock full of statistics about alcohol use and abuse in the United States.
8. Tobacco Use in the United States: Trends in Consumption
This lesson will discuss important statistics related to smoking, including how age, ethnicity, education, and geographic location influence tobacco use, as well as the financial and health-related implications of smoking.
9. The Social and Political Issues of Tobacco Use
We often think about the fact that smoking is something we should worry about with respect to cancer, but political, social, and religious concerns are just as important when it comes to this deadly habit. Learn about how these concerns are related to smoking in this lesson.
10. Tobacco Use: Addiction and Short-Term Effects
In this lesson, you will learn about why it is that smoking is so addictive and what the short-term consequences of tobacco use will result in. You will also find out how nicotine plays an important role in all of this.
11. Smoking: Long-Term Consequences
In this lesson, we will look at why smoking is so harmful to your health from a chemical perspective. After that, we will discuss exactly what smoking causes in the long run. You'll be surprised to learn that lung cancer is the least of your concerns.
12. Smoking: Effects on Others & the Environment
This lesson will hopefully dispel some myths surrounding secondhand smoke and how it affects people who do not smoke. You'll even learn about the fact that there are two different kinds of secondhand smoke.
13. What Is Environmental Health? Definition, Types & Sources
In this video lesson, you will learn about environmental health. You will also learn about threats to environmental health and how to distinguish between different categories of environmental hazards.
14. Understanding & Assessing Threats to Environmental Health
In this lesson you will learn how threats to environmental health are assessed. You will also learn how management decisions are made based on such threats and their risks.
15. Cigarette Smoking: History, Causes & Effects
This brief lesson give the history of tobacco and the effects that are currently known about its use. It describes forms of tobacco and products used in the United States.
16. Health Maintenance Organization (HMO): Definition & Overview
Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) is a specific type of health insurance plan. Let's follow a hypothetical HMO consumer, Emy, as she learns all about her medical coverage under her HMO plan.
17. Metabolism: Definition & Overview
Metabolism is the sum of all chemical reactions within the body. This concept, however, is much more complex than most of us understand. This lesson describes metabolism and the processes involved.
18. What Are Saturated Fats? - Definition, Types, Function & Examples
Saturated fat in food is fat that is saturated with hydrogen atoms and is typically found in animal products. In this lesson, you will learn what saturated fat is and its effect on the body.
19. What Are Triglycerides? - Definition & Overview
A triglyceride is a molecule that acts as an essential energy source in your body. But even though it's essential, too much of it can be bad for you. In this lesson, learn about this molecule's structure and the role it plays in your body.
20. What Are Vital Signs? - Definition & How to Take Them
In this lesson, you will learn about vital signs. Included will be an example, the definition of vital signs and the processes of taking vital signs. Also, a quiz is provided to assist you with this lesson.
21. What is a Repetitive Stress Injury? - Symptoms, Treatment & Prevention
In this lesson you will learn about repetitive stress injury. Included will be the definition, symptoms, and the a few types of these stress injuries. Also, the tests and treatments for the injury will be discussed.
22. What is a Stress Fracture? - Definition, Symptoms & Treatment
In this lesson you will learn about stress fracture. Included will be the definition, symptoms, and treatment of the fracture. Also, the tests and assessments to diagnose the injury will be discussed.
23. What is a Stroke? - Causes, Symptoms & Treatment
A stroke is a reduction in blood flow to the brain, and is a major condition that can have devastating effects within the body. This article will address strokes, the symptoms that are found in stroke patients, the causes, and the treatments.
24. What is Brain Damage? - Causes & Effects
The brain is a key organ in the nervous system and controls the functions of the body. Brain damage, then, can have major consequences on how the entire body functions. This article addresses brain damage, its causes, and effects.
25. What is Dehydration? - Definition, Causes & Symptoms
Dehydration is a condition where the water levels in the body are too low. This can result in numerous minor and major effects within the body and can be deadly. This article addresses dehydration, its causes, its symptoms and effects.
26. What is Fetal Alcohol Syndrome? - Characteristics, Symptoms & Signs
Alcohol consumption during pregnancy can be very dangerous for an unborn child. In many cases, alcohol consumption can lead to the development of Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. This article discusses FAS and its symptoms.
27. What is Relative Age? - Definition & Effect
How do geologists determine the age of different rock layers or fossils without the aid of modern equipment? Learn how geologists use rock layers to determine relative ages.
28. Malaria Treatments: Vaccine & Prophylaxis
Malaria is a debilitating mosquito-borne illness, but it can be prevented. In this lesson we will identify and describe the preventative treatments of malaria.
29. Mollusca Contagiosa: Symptoms and Treatment
Mollusca contagiosa is a virus that causes a unique skin condition: a rash that looks like little pearls on the skin's surface. Read this lesson to learn how this virus is contracted, who is most likely to catch it, and how it's treated.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GED Science: Tutoring Solution course
- GED Science - Scientific Foundations and Study Skills: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Atoms, Elements, and the Periodic Table: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Compounds and Chemical Bonds: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Chemical Reactions, Acids, and Bases: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Nuclear Energy: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Energy and Heat: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Mechanics: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Sound and Light Waves: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Electricity: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Magnetism: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Biomolecules: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Cell Biology: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - The Cell Cycle and Cell Division: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Cellular Respiration and Photosynthesis: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Classification of Organisms: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Genetics and Evolution: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Animal Reproduction and Development: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Anatomy & Physiology of Reproductive Systems: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory, and Musculoskeletal Systems: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Nutrition & Physical Activity: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Ecology: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Animal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Genetic Engineering Basics: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Earth Science & Geology: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Earth's Spheres and Internal Structure: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Minerals and Rocks: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Plate Tectonics & Continental Drift: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Oceanography: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Astronomy: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Meteorology: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Weather and Storms: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - The Atmosphere: Tutoring Solution