About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other GED science work.
- Identify the plate tectonics and continental drift concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our GED science tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn plate tectonics and continental drift and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding earthquakes and volcanoes, continental drift theories, tectonic plate movement, plate boundaries or any other plate tectonics and continental drift topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their science learning
- Prefer learning science visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their plate tectonics and continental drift unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in GED science
- Don't have access to their science teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning plate tectonics and continental drift simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live GED science tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn plate tectonics and continental drift on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Explain how earthquakes and volcanoes provide evidence for Earth's inner layers.
- Understand Alfred Wegener's theory of continental drift.
- Discuss evidence that provides a mechanism for continental drift.
- List the causes of plate tectonic movement.
- Describe the different types of plate boundaries.
- Learn how plate movement contributes to different types of natural disasters.
1. Earthquakes and Volcanoes: Evidence of Earth's Inner Layers
The interior layers of the earth are not able to be observed directly, so scientists need to rely on other information to learn about it. S waves, P waves, and magma from volcanoes and earthquakes give a glimpse at the layers of the earth by providing data that can be built into a model of the earth.
2. Alfred Wegener's Theory of Continental Drift
People used to think that Earth was static, and that it never changed. Gradually, a body of evidence was gathered that made no sense in this model. Alfred Wegener, Geologic Supersleuth, laid the groundwork for a whole new theory for the large-scale changing nature of the earth.
3. Evidence for the Mechanism of Continental Drift
As scientists began to explore the ocean floor after World War II, they discovered many new clues to help them solve a mystery that had begun decades earlier - how the continents moved about on the surface of the earth.
4. Plate Tectonics: A Unified Theory for Change of the Earth's Surface
After many years of trying to solve the mystery of the moving continents, enough data and evidence was collected to develop a unifying theory of how the surface of the earth changes. It's called plate tectonics.
5. Causes of Tectonic Plate Movement
In this lesson, we explore the causes of plate movement, including thermal convection, ridge push and slab pull. Students will learn how these processes complement each other and form a theory for tectonic plate movement.
6. Plate Boundaries: Convergent, Divergent, and Transform Boundaries
In the theory of plate tectonics, the earth's crust is broken into plates that move around relative to each other. As a result of this movement, three types of plate boundaries are formed: divergent, convergent, and transform boundaries.
7. How Plate Movement Affects Earthquakes, Tsunamis & Volcanic Eruptions
Earthquakes, volcanoes, and tsunamis are all dangerous natural disasters, but they also have something else in common - tectonic plate movement. In this lesson, you'll see how these seemingly different events actually come from similar geological beginnings.
8. North American Plate: Tectonics, Movement & Facts
Learn about the North American Plate and how it is moving relative to other tectonic plates. In this lesson, we will explore the three major types of plate boundaries that you will find at the North American Plate's edge.
9. Plate Tectonics: Theory & Definition
Plate tectonics describes the internal workings of our planet. Using it allows geologists to explain a wide range of geologic features and processes. You will learn the basics about the theory in this lesson.
10. Ridge Push: Definition & Overview
In this lesson, we'll discuss ridge-push, which is one of the driving forces behind tectonic plate motions. We will also introduce the concept of volcanism at mid-ocean ridges.
11. Slab Pull: Definition & Theory
This lesson covers slab pull, which is one of the forces that affect tectonic plate motion. After this lesson, you will understand the mechanics of slab pull and how it factors into theory of plate tectonics.
12. What is the Ring of Fire? - Definition, Facts & Location
The Ring of Fire has produced the world's most destructive and active volcanoes, not to mention most of the world's earthquakes. Read on to find out just what the Ring of Fire is and the volcanoes it has created throughout the planet's history.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 79 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GED Science: Tutoring Solution course
- GED Science - Scientific Foundations and Study Skills: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Atoms, Elements, and the Periodic Table: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Compounds and Chemical Bonds: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Chemical Reactions, Acids, and Bases: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Nuclear Energy: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Energy and Heat: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Mechanics: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Sound and Light Waves: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Electricity: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Magnetism: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Biomolecules: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Cell Biology: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - The Cell Cycle and Cell Division: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Cellular Respiration and Photosynthesis: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Classification of Organisms: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Genetics and Evolution: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Animal Reproduction and Development: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Anatomy & Physiology of Reproductive Systems: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory, and Musculoskeletal Systems: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Health Issues and Concerns: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Nutrition & Physical Activity: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Ecology: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Animal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Genetic Engineering Basics: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Earth Science & Geology: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Earth's Spheres and Internal Structure: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Minerals and Rocks: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Oceanography: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Astronomy: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Meteorology: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Weather and Storms: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - The Atmosphere: Tutoring Solution