About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other GED science work.
- Identify the atmosphere concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our GED science tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about the atmosphere and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding solar radiation, heat transfer, cloud formation, air lift, climate classifications, greenhouse gases, air pollution or any other atmosphere topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their science learning
- Prefer learning science visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their atmosphere unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in GED science
- Don't have access to their science teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about the atmosphere simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live GED science tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about the atmosphere on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- List the major components of the atmosphere.
- Describe the structure of the atmosphere.
- Examine the effects of solar radiation.
- Discuss the different mechanisms of heat transfer.
- Explain the effects of humidity.
- Take a look at the process of cloud formation.
- Learn about the processes that lift air.
- Explain how precipitation forms.
- Understand the global distribution of different types of climates.
- Describe the factors that influence climate.
- Explore the effects of greenhouse gases.
- List the sources of air pollution.
1. Major Components of the Atmosphere
Our atmosphere is a complex mixture of many different gases. In this video lesson you will identify the major components of Earth's atmosphere as well as how much there is of each.
2. The Structure of the Atmosphere
If you've ever climbed a mountain or been to the beach, you know that the atmosphere is different at different levels. This lesson explains how the structure of the atmosphere is really like a layer cake.
3. What is Solar Radiation? - Definition & Effects
The sun plays an important role to us on Earth. It provides many things such as light and warmth. But, what is solar radiation and how does it affect us? In this video lesson, you'll learn about solar radiation, how it allows us to survive, and the influence it has on our global climate.
4. Mechanisms of Heat Transfer: Conduction, Convection & Radiation
There are three main ways that heat is transferred between substances or objects. In this video lesson you'll learn about each one, and identify the differences between them.
5. What is Humidity? - Definition, Measurements & Effects
Humidity is an important aspect of the atmosphere because it affects both weather and climate. In this video lesson you will learn about the different types of humidity and understand how temperature affects water vapor in the air.
6. What is Cloud Formation? - Definition, Types & Process
There are many different types of clouds that form in the sky. In this video lesson you will learn about how clouds form, as well as the different types of clouds and how they are classified.
7. Air Lift: Definition & Processes
In this video lesson, you will learn about air lift. You will also identify the different ways air is lifted, as well as some of the effects each mechanism has.
8. What is Precipitation? - Definition, Types & Formation
Precipitation comes in many forms, but it all comes from the same general process. In this video lesson you will identify different types of precipitation, as well as how precipitation forms in the atmosphere from condensation.
9. Climate Classifications & Their Global Distribution
Earth has many climates, but we can categorize them based on common characteristics. In this video lesson you will identify the 5 major climate classifications on Earth, as well as where on Earth these climates are found.
10. Greenhouse Gases and the Enhanced Greenhouse Effect
In this video lesson, you will learn about the five main greenhouse gases and how their unnaturally high concentrations are leading to the enhanced greenhouse effect and global climate change on Earth.
11. What Is Air Pollution? - Definition, Sources & Types
In this video lesson, you will learn about the sources and types of air pollution. You will be able to identify the six classes of air pollutants identified by the Environmental Protection Agency and the Clean Air Act of 1970.
12. Acid Precipitation: Definition, Causes & Effects
Explore the way that acid precipitation develops and the role that we play in it. Learn about the different environmental and human problems that it can cause.
13. Atmospheric Carbon Dioxide: History & Environmental Effects
After this lesson about atmospheric carbon dioxide, you will be able to describe how carbon dioxide levels in our atmosphere have changed over time due to both natural transitions and human-caused disturbances.
14. What is the Oort Cloud? - Definition, Location & Facts
This lesson will explain what the Oort cloud is, how it formed as part of the solar system's development, where it's located, and discuss its properties and effects. A short quiz will follow.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the GED Science: Tutoring Solution course
- GED Science - Scientific Foundations and Study Skills: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Atoms, Elements, and the Periodic Table: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Compounds and Chemical Bonds: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Chemical Reactions, Acids, and Bases: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Nuclear Energy: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Energy and Heat: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Mechanics: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Sound and Light Waves: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Electricity: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Magnetism: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Biomolecules: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Cell Biology: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - The Cell Cycle and Cell Division: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Cellular Respiration and Photosynthesis: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Classification of Organisms: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Genetics and Evolution: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Animal Reproduction and Development: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Anatomy & Physiology of Reproductive Systems: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - The Circulatory, Respiratory, Digestive, Excretory, and Musculoskeletal Systems: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Health Issues and Concerns: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Nutrition & Physical Activity: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Ecology: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Animal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Genetic Engineering Basics: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Earth Science & Geology: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Earth's Spheres and Internal Structure: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Minerals and Rocks: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Plate Tectonics & Continental Drift: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Oceanography: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Astronomy: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Meteorology: Tutoring Solution
- GED Science - Weather and Storms: Tutoring Solution