About This Chapter
General Medical Conditions & Vocabulary - Chapter Summary
From autoimmune diseases to hearing and eye disorders, you will have the opportunity to go over details about many medical conditions caused by diseases or injury. Lessons focus on symptoms, treatments and relevant medical terms used to refer to each of these conditions.
In this chapter, you will find lessons addressing conditions you might be familiar with, such as diabetes and congestive heart failure, as well as lesser-known disorders such as macular degeneration and refractive disorders of the eye. After you complete your study of this chapter, you should be able to:
- Relate classification and diagnosis practices in psychology
- Differentiate between HIV and AIDS
- Distinguish degree levels of burns and discuss causes and treatment of this type of injury
- Provide detailed information about COPD
- Explain symptoms, treatments and complications of congestive heart failure and diabetes
- Define and provide examples of autoimmune diseases
- Discuss eye disorders, such as glaucoma, macular degeneration, blindness and refractive disorders
- Describe types and causes of hearing impairments
Video and text lessons are presented by instructors with medical and medical instruction backgrounds and the material is discussed using simple terms and detailed definitions and examples. Access lessons 24/7 from any device and even print lesson transcripts to keep as handy reference tools. Use self-assessment quizzes to determine your mastery of each topic and your readiness in moving from one lesson to the next.
1. Classification and Diagnosis
How do you diagnose something that you can't see? That's the problem faced by psychologists. This lesson will show you the tool they use to help diagnose their patients.
2. HIV vs. AIDS
This lesson will explain the differences between HIV and AIDS. We will review differences in what these diseases are, their symptoms, and the ability to treat each.
3. Burns: Causes, Degree Levels & The Rule of Nines
Sadly, burns are one of the most common accidents that can lead to life-altering consequences. In this lesson, learn about the causes of burns, the new classification system for burns, and the Rule of Nines, an estimation tool of burn extent.
4. COPD: Symptoms & Treatment
This lesson is going to give an overview of COPD. We are going to discuss the details about the signs and symptoms as well as treatment options that are available for COPD.
5. Congestive Heart Failure: Symptoms & Stages
In this lesson we will learn about congestive heart failure, the symptoms associated with it, and the different stages and the meaning of each. Congestive heart failure is sometimes known as CHF or heart failure and these terms are used interchangeability.
6. Congestive Heart Failure: Treatment & Complications
Your grandfather has congestive heart failure. You are wondering what his treatment options are and how you can help. In this lesson we will look at the treatment options for someone who has congestive heart failure and also what kind of complications they may face.
7. Medical Terminology Related to Strokes
This lesson will go over some terminology related to stroke: transient ischemic attack, cerebrovascular accident, ischemic stroke, hemorrhagic stroke, aphasia, and aneurysm.
8. What is Diabetes? - Types & Symptoms
Diabetes is a chronic condition that affects millions of people across the world today. This lesson explains more about the different forms of diabetes and how they may be treated in order for a person to live a healthier life.
9. Autoimmune Diseases: Definitions & Types
What is an autoimmune disease? Why does it occur? What are some examples of autoimmune diseases? This lesson will describe myasthenia gravis, multiple sclerosis, type 1 diabetes, and much more.
10. Refractive Disorders of the Eye: Vocabulary
Are you nearsighted? Farsighted? Neither? All three conditions actually have really weird technical terms. This lesson goes over them as we take a look at refractive disorders.
11. Blindness & Vision Impairment: Medical Vocabulary
Do you know what blindness really is? Can you tell me both definitions for it? And have you ever heard of scotoma or amblyopia? I'm sure you have, as they have very common names you've heard of before.
12. Major Disorders of the Eye: Definitions & Terminology
Have you ever seen those weird-looking spots or specks in your field of vision randomly floating about? This lesson tells you what they are and defines many other weird and wonderful conditions of the eye.
13. Glaucoma & Macular Degeneration Vocabulary
There are two major conditions that can threaten what some consider your most precious sense. They are called glaucoma and macular degeneration. These conditions and their major types are defined herein.
14. What is Hearing Impairment? - Definition, Causes & Treatment
This video lesson discusses hearing impairment, from the different types and their causes to available treatment options. Following the lesson is a short quiz to test your knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NBCOT COTA Exam: Test Prep & Study Guide course
- Prenatal & Infant Development
- Childhood & Adolescent Development
- Types of Development in Adults
- Understanding Atypical Development
- Neurological Conditions
- Musculoskeletal Conditions
- Evaluations in Occupational Therapy
- Frames of Reference & Models in Occupational Therapy
- Developing OT Treatment Plans
- Advocating for OT Client & Community Needs
- Implementation of OT Treatment Plans
- Groups in Occupational Therapy
- Feeding & Eating Skills for Occupational Therapy
- Orthotic & Prosthetic Devices
- Using Assistive Technology
- Environmental Accessibility
- Professional Development in Occupational Therapy
- Laws & Regulations in Occupational Therapy
- Ethics & Safety in Occupational Therapy