About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering high school biology material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn biology. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding genetics or genetic mutations
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning science (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about genetic mutations
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra science learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the genetic mutations chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the genetic mutations chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any genetic mutations question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a genetic mutations unit of a standard high school biology course. Topics covered include:
- How genetic mutations affect DNA
- How genetic mutations affect protein function
- Frameshift mutations
1. How Point Mutations, Insertions, and Deletions Affect DNA
What are genetic mutations? How do they affect our DNA? This lesson covers the basics of point mutations and provides simple examples of different mutation types.
2. Effects of Mutations on Protein Function: Missense, Nonsense, and Silent Mutations
How does a tiny point mutation change the way a protein works? What are the consequences of base substitutions? In this lesson, we'll use an imaginary creature to explore missense, nonsense and silent mutations.
3. Mutagens: How the Environment Affects Mutation Rates
What causes mutations to occur in living things? How do we avoid mutations? Are mutations always bad? Discover answers to these questions and more in this lesson on mutagens.
4. Effects of Frameshift Mutations: Definitions and Examples
What is a frameshift in genetic translation? How can a frameshift mutation change a protein? In this lesson, learn about the codon reading frame and how frameshift mutations cause serious problems for polypeptide formation.
5. Immunoglobulin Deficiency: Symptoms & Treatment
In this lesson we'll learn the basics about immunoglobulins and how they function in the body. Then, we'll look at what happens when the body doesn't make enough of each type. We'll also cover treatment options for people with these deficiencies.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Biology: Help and Review course
- Core Science Concepts: Help and Review
- Basic Science Lab Skills: Help and Review
- Inorganic Chemistry Review for High School Biology: Help and Review
- Basic Organic Chemistry: Help and Review
- How Enzymes Work: Help and Review
- Essentials of Cell Biology: Help and Review
- Requirements of Biological Systems: Help and Review
- Cell Communication: Help and Review
- Cell Metabolism: Help and Review
- Cell Division in Biology: Help and Review
- Nucleic Acids - DNA and RNA - in Biology: Help and Review
- The Steps of DNA Replication: Help and Review
- Transcription and Translation of Nucleic Acids: Help and Review
- Genetics and Heredity in Biology: Help and Review
- DNA Technology and Genomics: Help and Review
- Bacterial Biology Essentials: Help and Review
- Viruses in Biology: Help and Review
- The Origin of the Universe and Life on Earth: Help and Review
- Geologic Time, Dating & Fossils: Help and Review
- Evolution Basics: Help and Review
- The Evolution & Classification of Organisms: Help and Review
- Basics of Plant Biology: Help and Review
- Plant Reproduction & Growth Cycles: Help and Review
- Introduction to Fungi: Help and Review
- Introduction to Invertebrates: Help and Review
- Introduction to Vertebrates: Help and Review
- Circulatory System & Other Systems: Help & Review
- The Nervous, Immune, and Endocrine Systems: Help and Review
- Animal Reproduction & Embryonic Development: Help and Review
- Human Reproductive Systems: Help and Review
- Ecology and the Environment: Help and Review
- Human Effects on the Environment: Help and Review
- Animal Behavior: Help and Review
- Laboratory Techniques for Molecular Biology & Genetic Engineering: Help and Review
- Analyzing Scientific Data in Biology: Help and Review