About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the Glencoe Understanding Psychology Health Psychology chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the health psychology topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Health impacts of stress
- Causes and types of stress
- Stress disorders
- Selye's General Adaptation Syndrome
- Stress and adaptation
- Behavioral and cognitive strategies for dealing with stress
- Physiological and psychological reactions to stress
- Seligman's Learned Helplessness Theory
- Instrumental and social support
- Research findings on Type A and Type B personalities
- Psychological aspects of cancer
- Long-term consequences of smoking
- Communicating effectively with healthcare providers
- Psychological strategies for increasing compliance with medical recommendations
- Happiness research
Glencoe Understanding Psychology is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Stressed by Stress
Most people have to deal with stress on a regular basis. But do you know what it's really doing to your body? Learn more about the reasons behind feeling stressed as well as common strategies to not let the stress get to you.
2. Stress: Definition and Impact on Overall Health
Stress, distress, eustress: just thinking about those terms may make you stress out! Don't worry, this lesson will define them and show plenty of examples of them in a manner that will calm your mind!
3. Where Does Stress Come From?
Explore the wonderful world of all the things that cause us stress. From school and work to internal and interpersonal stressors, we'll define what stressors are and the many places they arise from in this lesson.
4. Stress Disorders: Definition and Perspectives
Everyone has to deal with stress, but some people do not manage their stress in a healthy way. In this lesson, we will look more closely at psychological disorders related to stress, including ways that people react to and manage stress.
5. General Adaptation Syndrome: Definition, Phases & Changes
The general adaptation syndrome is a predictable series of phases related to stress. This lesson will explore some of the physiological and psychological changes associated with each phase.
6. Stress & Adaptation: Effects, Defense Mechanisms & Coping Strategies
In this lesson, we explore the stress response and how people typically deal with stressful situations. We give a nod to situations older people have to deal with and what they are likely to do in response.
7. Behavioral Strategies for Dealing with Stress
Everyone has varying levels of stress, but being able to handle that stress can really make a difference. In this lesson, we look at behavioral strategies for dealing with stress.
8. Cognitive Strategies for Dealing with Stress
In this lesson, we'll learn some cognitive strategies for dealing with stress. This involves dealing with stress in a different manner, but allows us to be more proactive about it.
9. Physiological & Psychological Reactions to Stress
While you probably know what stress is, you may not be aware of what it can do to you. In this lesson, we look at physical and psychological reactions to stress.
10. How Seligman's Learned Helplessness Theory Applies to Human Depression and Stress
Learned helplessness is when people feel helpless to avoid negative situations because previous experience has shown them that they do not have control. In this lesson, we'll explore some of the causes and effects of learned helplessness.
11. Social Support and Stress: Emotional vs. Instrumental Support
Social support is an important tool for coping with stress. There are two main and contradicting hypotheses about the role of social support in stressful situations: the buffering hypothesis and the main effects hypothesis. In this lesson, we'll learn more about social support and its effects on stress.
12. Psychology Research on Type A & Type B Personalities
What makes a person who they are? And can your personality affect your health? In this lesson, we'll examine two common personalities - type A and type B - and how they are linked with stress and with a person's health.
13. Smoking: Long-Term Consequences
In this lesson, we will look at why smoking is so harmful to your health from a chemical perspective. After that, we will discuss exactly what smoking causes in the long run. You'll be surprised to learn that lung cancer is the least of your concerns.
14. Research on Happiness: What Makes People Happy?
Research has found that there are several things that make people happy. Scientists have also discovered that most people don't do a good job of predicting what will make them happy. In this lesson, we'll look at what causes happiness, the relationship of money to happiness, and how accurate people are at making predictions about happiness.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 79 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Glencoe Understanding Psychology: Online Textbook Help course
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 1: Introduction to Psychology
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 2: Psychological Research
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 3: Neuroscience and Behavior
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 4: Sensation and Perception
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 5: States of Consciousness
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 6: Learning
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 7: Memory
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 8: Cognition and Language
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 9: Intelligence
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 10: Motivation and Emotion
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 11: Sexuality and Gender
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 12: Development
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 13: Personality
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 15: Psychological Disorders
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 16: Treatment of Psychological Disorders
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 17: Social Psychology
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Appendix: Statistics in Psychology