About This Chapter
How it works:
- Identify the lessons in the Glencoe Understanding Psychology Treatment of Psychological Disorders chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons within this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the psychological disorder treatment topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will learn:
- Psychoanalytic therapy
- Behavioral approaches in therapy
- Common cognitive treatments and therapy
- Existential vs. humanistic theories
- Carl Rogers' humanistic theory and psychotherapy
- Interpersonal therapy
- Group therapy
- Research on psychotherapy's effectiveness
- Biological therapy
- Psychiatric drugs
- Electroconvulsive therapy
- Community psychology
Glencoe Understanding Psychology is a registered trademark of McGraw-Hill Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Psychoanalytic Therapy: Free Association, Dream Analysis and Transference & Resistance
Psychoanalytic therapy has many techniques. This lesson will explore four of these techniques: free association, dream analysis, and the analysis of transference and resistance.
2. Behavioral Approaches in Therapy
What is the relationship between the stimulus-response model, applied behavior analysis, social-cognitive theory, and changing behavior? Is there really more than one way to look at behavioral therapy?
3. Common Cognitive Treatments and Therapy
How do you treat someone who thinks or acts in a negative way? In this lesson, we'll look at what cognitive behavioral therapy is and the six phases in CBT.
4. Existential vs. Humanistic Theories: Comparing Two Major Theories in Psychotherapy
The humanistic and existential theories of psychology are often confused. In this lesson, we'll look at the similarities of and differences between the two theories and their related therapies.
5. Carl Rogers' Humanistic Theory and Psychotherapy
Carl Rogers is often credited with being one of the most influential psychologists of the 20th century with contributions that include client-centered therapy, self-actualization, and the theory of self.
6. Group Therapy
When an individual has personal problems they want to work on with the help of a professional therapist, they don't necessarily have to do it one-on-one. They could benefit from group therapy instead. When is group therapy a good option?
7. Biological Therapy
Do you think psychological problems can be fixed with electric shocks or brain surgery? Find out more about biological treatments for mental problems and the controversial role they played in treating patients.
8. Psychiatric Drugs
Have you ever been curious about how psychiatric drugs work, or more specifically, which psychiatric drugs are used for which disorders? This lesson outlines some common psychiatric disorders and how various medications are used to treat and subdue psychotic symptoms.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Glencoe Understanding Psychology: Online Textbook Help course
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 1: Introduction to Psychology
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 2: Psychological Research
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 3: Neuroscience and Behavior
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 4: Sensation and Perception
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 5: States of Consciousness
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 6: Learning
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 7: Memory
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 8: Cognition and Language
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 9: Intelligence
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 10: Motivation and Emotion
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 11: Sexuality and Gender
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 12: Development
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 13: Personality
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 14: Health Psychology
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 15: Psychological Disorders
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Chapter 17: Social Psychology
- Glencoe Understanding Psychology Appendix: Statistics in Psychology