About This Chapter
High School Algebra I: Decimals and Fractions - Chapter Summary
Learn the basics of working with decimals and fractions with the lessons in this chapter. A knowledgeable instructor will show you how to add, subtract, multiply and divide fractions and decimals. You'll also learn to incorporate whole and mixed numbers. After completing this chapter, you should be able to:
- Define decimal place value
- Compare and order decimals and fractions
- Solve equations and word problems using decimals and fractions
- Use estimation
- Build and reduce fractions
- Understand fraction and mixed number arithmetic
|What Is a Decimal Place Value?||Understand the definition of decimal place value.|
|Comparing and Ordering Decimals||Get to know the process of comparing and ordering decimals.|
|Adding and Subtracting Decimals||Learn how to add and subtract decimals.|
|Multiplying and Dividing Decimals||Review multiplying and dividing decimals, including multiples of 10.|
|How to Estimate in Math||Explore the process of estimating decimals to solve math problems.|
|How to Build and Reduce Fractions||Understand how to build and reduce fractions.|
|How to Find Least Common Denominators||Learn to find the least common denominator.|
|Comparing and Ordering Fractions||Review the process of comparing and ordering fractions.|
|Changing Between Improper Fraction and Mixed Number Form||Become familiar with changing between improper fraction form and mixed number form.|
|How to Add and Subtract Like Fractions and Mixed Numbers||Get to know how to add and subtract like fractions and mixed numbers.|
|How to Add and Subtract Unlike Fractions and Mixed Numbers||Explore the process of adding and subtracting unlike fractions and mixed numbers.|
|Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers||Understand how to multiply fractions and mixed numbers.|
|Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers||Take a look at dividing fractions and mixed numbers.|
|Practice with Fraction and Mixed Number Arithmetic||Review fraction and mixed number arithmetic.|
|Estimation Problems Using Fractions||Learn to work estimation problems using fractions.|
|Solving Problems Using Fractions and Mixed Numbers||Identifying the process of solving problems with fractions and mixed numbers.|
|How to Solve Complex Fractions||Understand methods of solving complex fractions|
|Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication and Division with Decimal Notation||Take a look at adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing with decimal notation.|
|Using the Number Line to Compare Decimals, Fractions and Whole Numbers||Learn how the number line can be used to compare decimals, fractions and whole numbers.|
|How to Simplify Word Problems with Fractions Using Whole Numbers||Review the process of using whole numbers to restate a word problem containing fractions.|
1. What is a Decimal Place Value?
In this video lesson, you will see how a decimal, a simple dot, can change the place value of all the digits in a number. You will also learn how to read decimals using place values.
2. Comparing and Ordering Decimals
In this video lesson, you'll find out how you can look at any two decimals and immediately tell which is greater than the other. You'll also learn how to quickly sort decimals from least to greatest or vice versa.
3. Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication, and Division with Decimal Notation
Performing operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication and division has some differences when there are decimals involved. This lesson will explain how to perform these operations all while keeping the decimals straight.
4. Adding and Subtracting Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
In math, we sometimes have to deal with decimal numbers instead of our nice whole numbers. Watch this video lesson to learn the one thing that you have to take into consideration when adding and subtracting decimals.
5. Multiplying and Dividing Decimals: Examples & Word Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn what you need to do to get a correct answer when multiplying and dividing decimals. Learn the easy tricks to figuring out where the decimal point goes.
6. How to Estimate with Decimals to Solve Math Problems
Watch this video lesson to learn how you can estimate problems with decimals in them so you can get a quick answer when you need it - for example, when you are at the gas station and you need to know how much gas you can afford.
7. How to Build and Reduce Fractions
Fractions are a fundamental part of everyday life. Fractions represent a comparison of a part to the whole. To reduce fractions, we will divide by the greatest common factor, or the GCF.
8. How to Find Least Common Denominators
Finding a Least Common Denominator is an important tool when working with fractions. To find a Least common denominators, we will use multiples of our numbers.
9. Comparing and Ordering Fractions
Comparing and ordering fractions is way to examine fractions that contain different-sized sets. In order to compare these fractions, you must find a common denominator and make equivalent fractions.
10. Changing Between Improper Fraction and Mixed Number Form
Improper fractions and mixed numbers are two different types of fractions. They both have different purposes when using fractions in a problem. In this lesson, you will learn how to convert between these two different forms.
11. How to Add and Subtract Like Fractions and Mixed Numbers
When adding and subtracting fractions, you must be sure to have a common denominator. Once you have a common denominator, you just add or subtract your numerators and then your whole numbers. Learn how in this lesson.
12. How to Add and Subtract Unlike Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Simple fraction arithmetic gets a little more complicated when our denominators don't match. In this lesson, we'll learn how to add and subtract unlike fractions. Then we'll do the same with mixed numbers.
13. Multiplying Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Multiplying fractions is much more straightforward than adding, subtracting or dividing fractions. In this lesson, learn how it works. We'll also learn how to multiply mixed numbers.
14. Dividing Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Dividing fractions and mixed numbers? It sounds daunting, but it's not as tricky as it sounds. In this lesson, we'll learn how to divide fractions and mixed numbers.
15. Practice with Fraction and Mixed Number Arithmetic
Adding whole numbers is one thing. But adding fractions and mixed numbers? That's not so simple. Or is it? In this lesson, we'll practice arithmetic with both fractions and mixed numbers.
16. Estimation Problems using Fractions
When working with fractions, estimating can save time and effort while getting you very close to the correct answer. In this lesson, we'll learn how to use estimation to quickly solve problems involving fractions.
17. Solving Problems using Fractions and Mixed Numbers
Fractions don't just live in math problems. They're all around us, helping us through our lives. In this lesson, we'll look at real scenarios where your ability to work with fractions can save the day.
18. How to Solve Complex Fractions
Did you know fractions can nest within fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about complex fractions and look at two different methods for solving them.
19. Using the Number Line to Compare Decimals, Fractions, and Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how useful the number line can be when you need to compare two different numbers, be they whole numbers, decimals or even fractions. Learn how to plot these numbers on the number line so you can compare them.
20. How to Simplify Word Problems with Fractions Using Whole Numbers
Watch this video lesson to learn how to solve word problems with fractions in them easily by turning your fractions into whole numbers. Learn what you need to do to get rid of your fractions so you can easily solve your problem.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 49 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Remedial Algebra I course
- High School Algebra: Basic Arithmetic
- High School Algebra: Solving Math Word Problems
- High School Algebra: Percent Notation
- High School Algebra: Real Numbers
- High School Algebra: Exponents and Exponential Expressions
- High School Algebra: Radical Expressions
- High School Algebra: Algebraic Expressions and Equations
- High School Algebra: Properties of Functions
- High School Algebra: Matrices and Absolute Value
- High School Algebra: Working With Inequalities
- High School Algebra: Properties of Exponents
- High School Algebra: Complex and Imaginary Numbers
- High School Algebra: Algebraic Distribution
- High School Algebra: Linear Equations
- High School Algebra: Factoring
- High School Algebra: Graphing and Factoring Quadratic Equations
- High School Algebra: Properties of Polynomial Functions
- High School Algebra: Rational Expressions
- High School Algebra: Cubic Equations
- High School Algebra: Quadratic Equations
- High School Algebra: Measurement and Geometry
- High School Algebra: Calculations, Ratios, Percent & Proportions
- High School Algebra: Data, Statistics, and Probability
- High School Algebra: Well-Known Equations