About This Chapter
Who's it for?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering high school algebra I material will benefit from taking this course. There is no faster or easier way to learn high school algebra I. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding rational numbers or real numbers
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning math (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about real numbers
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra math learning resources
How it works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the real numbers chapter exam.
Why it works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the real numbers chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any question about real numbers. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students will review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a real numbers unit of a standard high school algebra I course. Topics covered include:
- Graphs of rational numbers on a number line
- Discovery of the absolute value of a real number
- Notation for rational numbers, fractions and decimals
- The order of real numbers
1. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
2. Graphing Rational Numbers on a Number Line
Number lines have many uses both in mathematics and everyday life. This lesson will teach you how to graph numbers on a number line and give real-world examples of how to use number lines.
3. Notation for Rational Numbers, Fractions & Decimals
How do fractions become decimals? And how do decimals become fractions? In this lesson, we'll learn about the notation of rational numbers, fractions and decimals and learn how they're related.
4. The Order of Real Numbers: Inequalities
An inequality is an operation describing how one number can be compared to another. This lesson will describe and define inequalities and the symbols used to represent them. It will also give some examples on how to work with inequalities.
5. Finding the Absolute Value of a Real Number
You can find the absolute value of any real number. This lesson will define absolute value, explain what real numbers are and give the steps to finding the absolute value of any real number.
6. What Are Composite Numbers? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what composite numbers are and briefly touch on prime numbers. You'll also learn a couple of rules about composite numbers. Then, you can test your new knowledge with a brief quiz.
7. What Are Odd & Even Numbers? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn what odd and even numbers are with the help of some visual aids. You'll also learn some interesting properties of odd and even numbers. Then, you can test your new knowledge with a brief quiz.
8. What are Real Numbers? - Definition & Properties
There are many definitions of real numbers, but they all lead to the same conclusion. Real numbers are numbers that have a measurable value. Learn more about real numbers with some examples and a quiz to test your knowledge.
9. What is Long Division? - Definition & Examples
Long division is a method by which a person can perform more complex division problems using only a pencil and paper. This lesson will define long division, show how to perform the operation, and give some examples. There will be a quiz at the end to give you some practice.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the High School Algebra I: Help and Review course
- High School Algebra - Basic Arithmetic: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Solving Math Word Problems: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Decimals and Fractions: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Percent Notation: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Exponential Expressions & Exponents: Help & Review
- High School Algebra - Radical Expressions: Help and Review
- Algebraic Equations and Expressions: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Properties of Functions: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Matrices and Absolute Value: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Working With Inequalities: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Properties of Exponents: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Complex and Imaginary Numbers: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Algebraic Distribution: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Linear Equations: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Factoring: Help and Review
- Factoring & Graphing Quadratic Equations: Help & Review
- The Properties of Polynomial Functions: Help & Review
- High School Algebra - Rational Expressions: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Cubic Equations: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Quadratic Equations: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Measurement and Geometry: Help and Review
- Ratios, Proportions & Percent in Algebra: Help & Review
- Statistics, Probability and Data in Algebra: Help and Review
- High School Algebra - Well-Known Equations: Help and Review