About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Identify the lessons in Prentice Hall The Glory of Ancient Greece chapter with which you need help.
- Find the corresponding video lessons with this companion course chapter.
- Watch fun videos that cover the ancient Greek history topics you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material or submit a question for one of our instructors.
Students will study:
- Women in ancient Greece
- Ancient Greece's legacy in art, science, sports, government
- Alexander the Great and the origins of Hellenism
- The Library of Alexandria
- Euclid, Archimedes and Ptolemy
Prentice Hall is a registered trademark of Pearson Education, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Daily Life in Ancient Athens
In this lesson, you will explore the culture of ancient Athens and experience the daily life of an Athenian citizen. Afterward, you can test your understanding with a brief quiz.
2. Women of Greece
The Greeks were one of the most progressive ancient civilizations, but that wasn't true in how they treated women. This lesson goes over facts about how women were treated and explains how the best place to be a woman in Greece was Sparta.
3. Slavery in Ancient Greece
This lesson explores slavery in ancient Greece. We examine the various forms slavery took in Greece, comparing Spartan serfdom to Athenian chattel slavery. Finally, we enumerate the duties and rights of Athenian slaves.
4. Legacy of Ancient Greece: Art, Government, Science & Sports
In this lesson, you will explore the legacies that the ancient Greeks left behind on this world in art, government, science, and sports. Then, test your understanding with a brief quiz.
5. History of Sparta
In this lesson, you'll examine forces that shaped a Spartan society of elite warriors. We'll also explore the stratified caste system created by Lycurgus.
6. Alexander the Great and the Birth of Hellenism
This lesson describes Alexander the Great's mighty empire. Beginning with a brief account of his father Philip, the lecture then turns to an enumeration of Alexander's conquests. Next, Alexander's methods are explored. Finally, we will discuss Alexander's legacy of Hellenization.
7. The Library of Alexandria & The Benefits of Hellenization
This lecture begins by examining the spread of the Greek language and alphabet during the Hellenistic period and noting the implications of a universal language. Next we look at four factors that combined to make Alexandria the heart of Hellenistic scholarship: common language, a convenient alphabet, papyrus and climate.
8. Euclid, Archimedes & Ptolemy: Alexandrian Hellenistic Philosophers
This lecture recounts the achievements of the many great minds that called Alexandria home. We will look at Euclid, Ptolemy, Archimedes, Aristarchus, Herophilos, Erasistratus and Eratosthenes.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Prentice Hall History of Our World: Online Textbook Help course
- History of Our World Chapter 1: The Beginnings of Human Society
- History of Our World Chapter 2: The Fertile Crescent
- History of Our World Chapter 3: Ancient Egypt and Nubia
- History of Our World Chapter 4: Ancient India
- History of Our World Chapter 5: Ancient China
- History of Our World Chapter 6: The Rise of Ancient Greece
- History of Our World Chapter 8: The Rise of Ancient Rome
- History of Our World Chapter 9: The Glory of Ancient Rome
- History of Our World Chapter 10: Byzantine and Muslim Civilizations
- History of Our World Chapter 11: Civilizations of Africa
- History of Our World Chapter 12: Early Civilizations of the Americas
- History of Our World Chapter 13: Civilizations of Asia
- History of Our World Chapter 14: Europe in the Middle Ages
- History of Our World Chapter 15: The Renaissance and Reformation
- History of Our World Chapter 16: Exploration: Europe and Asia
- History of Our World Chapter 17: Exploration: Europe, the Americas, and Africa
- History of Our World Chapter 18: The Rise of Monarchies
- History of Our World Chapter 19: Revolutions
- History of Our World Chapter 20: A Changing World
- History of Our World Chapter 21: World Wars and Revolutions
- History of Our World Chapter 22: The World Today (1945-Present)