About This Chapter
Human Body Systems - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, instructors explain the diseases, disorders, and conditions that affect the respiratory system, the endocrine system, and the nervous system. You can also learn about age-related changes in the cardiovascular system and the physiology of adipose tissue. When you've completed this chapter, you should know about:
- The circulatory system
- Diseases of and changes to the cardiovascular system
- Respiratory and endocrine diseases
- Genetic disorders
- Neurological disorders and conditions
With each video lesson, you'll have access to a written transcript with which you can follow along, a self-assessment quiz that helps you track your progress, and video tags that allow you to easily navigate between key points in the lesson. If you get stuck on a vocabulary term, most key words and phrases are linked to text lessons that provide you with further information.
1. The Human Circulatory System: Parts and Functions
In this lesson, you will take a ride on the transportation system of the body called the circulatory system and its two parts: the pulmonary circuit and the systemic circuit. Take a look inside and see how every inch of your body receives the oxygen and nutrients it needs.
2. Different Kinds of Cardiovascular Disease: Definitions & Examples
So many problems can occur in the cardiovascular system of your body. Some of them mainly involve the heart and others the blood vessels, but one big one involves both at the same time!
3. Age-Related Changes to the Cardiovascular System: Types & Effects
The heart is one of those organs that's really difficult to live without since it is responsible for moving blood throughout your body. In this lesson, we'll explore some of the issues that can happen to the heart and the cardiovascular system.
4. Important Respiratory Diseases: Obstructive, Restrictive & Infective
This lesson will discuss the different categories of respiratory diseases, including infectious, obstructive, and restrictive. Examples of each category will also be discussed.
5. Common Endocrine Diseases, Related Hormones & Their Effects
This lesson discusses seven endocrine diseases as well as the hormones involved. Specifically, we explore diabetes mellitus, Addison's disease, Cushing's syndrome, hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, hyperparathyroidism, and hypoparathyroidism.
6. What are Genetic Disorders? - Definitions & Descriptions
This lesson defines genetic disorders and explores three main types of genetic disorders, including monogenetic disorders, chromosome disorders, and multifactorial inheritance disorders. You'll learn about genes, chromosomes, DNA, and much more!
7. What are Neurological Disorders? - Definitions & Causes
There are a ton of reasons for why your body's nervous system may fail. We'll go over what the nervous system is, what neurological disorders are, the many things that cause them, and what neurons and the myelin sheath have to do with all of this in this lesson.
8. Common Signs & Symptoms of Neurological Conditions
Explore the differences between signs and symptoms and which signs and symptoms are commonly attributed to nervous system dysfunction and disease, including amnesia and ataxia.
9. Physiology of Adipose Tissue
Adipose tissue is a loose connective tissue that contains fat-storing cells. Learn how this tissue provides you with a long-term source of energy and cushions and insulates your vital organs, as well as how it may even act as an endocrine organ, in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the TExES Health EC-12 (157): Practice & Study Guide course
- Maintaining Healthy Body Systems
- Prenatal and Human Development
- Nutritional Disorders
- Physical Fitness
- Communicable Diseases
- Noncommunicable Diseases
- Understanding the Immune System
- Emotional & Mental Health
- Families & Family Issues
- Health & Healthy Relationships
- Sexuality & Health
- Contraception and Family Planning
- Safety, Accidents & Emergencies
- Alcohol, Tobacco & Other Drugs
- Substance Abuse & Addiction
- Community & Environmental Health
- Health Skills & Resources
- Health-Related Products & Services
- Health Education