About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other SAT literature prep work.
- Identify the literary interpretation concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our SAT Subject Test in Literature Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn how to interpret theme and meaning and prepare for the exam. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding mood and tone, imagery, symbolism or any other topic related to literary interpretation.
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their SAT literature preparation
- Prefer learning about literature visually
- Find themselves struggling to prepare for the SAT Subject Test in Literature
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in preparing for the SAT Subject Test in Literature
- Need access to SAT literature materials
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make preparing for the SAT literature section simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live SAT prep tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Review the methods for interpreting theme and meaning on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Become familiar with common literary terms.
- Understand the meaning of inference.
- Develop close reading, visualization and other reading strategies.
- Describe the difference between connotation and denotation.
- Define and give examples of literary motifs.
- Discuss the differences between mood and tone.
- Use a step-by-step approach to analyze a literary selection.
- Understand how text can guide literary interpretation.
1. What Are Literary Motifs? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn about how writers use themes in works of literature as a way to explore universal ideas like love and war. You will also explore motifs, or repeating objects and ideas, which can contribute to theme.
2. Tone vs. Mood: Interpreting Meaning In Prose
In this lesson, learn the difference between the tone and the mood of a piece of prose. Explore examples of how tone and mood are conveyed by authors through word choice and telling details.
3. Understanding Tone and Mood in a Reading Passage
In this lesson, we will define the literary terms tone and mood. We will then discuss how to identify each of them, as well as how to identify them in small reading passages.
4. Symbolism & Imagery in Literature: Definitions & Examples
In this lesson you will learn how poets and authors use symbolism in their writing to make it more meaningful and interesting. Explore how descriptive writing called imagery appeals to the senses, adding to works of literature.
5. Interpreting Literary Meaning: How to Use Text to Guide Your Interpretation
In this lesson, we will discuss how to find and interpret literary meaning in writings. The lesson will focus on using the text to find key elements to guide your interpretation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the SAT Subject Test Literature: Tutoring Solution course
- Reading and Understanding Essays: Tutoring Solution
- Figurative Language in Literature: Tutoring Solution
- Language and Sentence Structure: Tutoring Solution
- Writing Structure & Organization in Literature: Tutoring Solution
- Literary Genres: Tutoring Solution
- Poetry Terms & Types: Tutoring Solution
- Drama: Tutoring Solution
- Literary Periods in American History: Tutoring Solution
- Analyzing American Literature: Tutoring Solution
- Prominent Plays & Playwrights: Tutoring Solution
- American Novelists: Tutoring Solution
- Periods in English Literature: Tutoring Solution
- Authors & Works in English Literature: Tutoring Solution