About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other abnormal psychology work.
- Identify the introductory anxiety disorders concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our abnormal psychology tutoring solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn the basics of anxiety disorders and earn better grades. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding various perspectives on anxiety disorders, causes, treatments or any other introduction to anxiety disorders topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their psychology learning
- Prefer learning psychology visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their introduction to anxiety disorders unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in abnormal psychology
- Don't have access to their psychology teacher outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning the basics of anxiety disorders simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live psychology tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn anxiety disorders basics on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Examine the different models of etiology regarding anxiety disorders.
- Discuss the causes and treatment of generalized anxiety disorder.
- Take a look at the causes of panic disorder and agoraphobia, and become familiar with the treatment for these disorders.
- Explain what causes social and specific phobias, and understand how phobias are treated.
- Explore the causes and treatment of obsessive compulsive disorder.
- Learn about the causes and treatment of trauma-related disorders, such as post-traumatic stress disorder and acute stress disorder.
1. Understanding Anxiety Disorders: Definition and Perspectives in Mental Health
Anxiety disorders are the most common type of mental disorder, affecting as many as one in four people. In this lesson, we will explore anxiety disorders including common causes, symptoms, and treatments.
2. Generalized Anxiety Disorder: Definition, Causes and Treatment for GAD
People who suffer from generalized anxiety disorder can be totally overwhelmed with fear and worry. In this lesson, we will explore GAD and learn about the possible causes and treatments of this mental disorder.
3. Panic Disorder and Agoraphobia: Symptoms, Causes and Treatment
Panic disorder is a debilitating condition that is characterized by how quickly it strikes. In this lesson we will learn about the symptoms, causes and treatment of panic disorder. We will also learn about agoraphobia, a disease that often accompanies panic disorder.
4. Specific and Social Phobias: Definition, Causes and Treatment
What are the similarities and differences between specific and social phobias? This lesson will explore this question, as well as the causes of, and treatments for, both types of phobias.
5. What is OCD? - Symptoms, Causes and Treatment for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
Obsessive-compulsive disorder, better known as OCD, is a common but often misunderstood disorder. In this lesson we'll explore the obsessions and compulsions of OCD as well as causes and treatment.
6. Trauma-Related Disorders: Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder & Acute Stress Disorder
A lot happens in the brain following a traumatic, life threatening event. Sometimes the brain has difficulty managing the stress and can be caught in a loop known as post-traumatic stress disorder, which will be discussed in this lesson along with acute stress disorder.
7. Psychasthenia: Definition & Symptoms
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of psychasthenia as well as symptoms of this now defunct disorder. Although this label is no longer used for diagnosis, some of its symptoms are included in multiple disorders that are currently in use.
8. What Are Obsessions in OCD? - Definition & Examples
Obsessions are intrusive thoughts, images, impulses, or ideas that are recurrent and cause you to feel a high level of anxiety or distress. Learn about obsessions, compulsions, OCD, and more.
9. What Is Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD)? - Symptoms, Treatment & Causes
In this lesson, you'll learn about generalized anxiety disorder and the difference between it and everyday anxiety. You will also review the causes behind it and the forms of treatment for people suffering from the disorder.
10. What Is School Phobia? - Treatment, Symptoms & Interventions
This lesson discusses school phobia, as well as its symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment. School phobia has a gradual onset, but can quickly become worse if not treated early.
11. What Is Test Anxiety in Children? - Definition, Research & Causes
It is estimated that between 20% and 45% of children in the United States experience test anxiety. Learn about the causes of test anxiety, recent research, and more.
12. PTSD Assessment: Tools, Questionnaire & Scale
In this lesson, you will learn the definition of PTSD and how it is assessed through various tools and questionnaires. You will also learn about the CAPS-5, the scale used to diagnose PTSD.
13. PTSD in War Veterans: Symptoms & Statistics
Learn about the various symptoms of combat-related PTSD -- and its impact on a veteran's life -- with a fictional example. Learn the statistics of combat-related PTSD and better understand reasons why it is higher in veterans than in the general population.
14. PTSD Symptoms in Men & Women
Learn about PTSD symptoms in both men and women. Discover the differences in rates of PTSD between men and women along with considerations that may explain these differences. Take a quiz after the lesson to test your understanding.
15. Shell Shock & PTSD
Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) is a common diagnosis for survivors of war, abuse, disasters and many other traumatic events. In this lesson, we will take a closer look at PTSD, who is at risk and how it is treated.
16. Shell Shock: Definition, Symptoms & Victims
This lesson discusses the term ~'shell shock~', defines it, gives a list of symptoms, and looks at how victims were vilified at first, then treatment options began to show promise.
17. Claustrophobia: Definition, Types & Symptoms
Claustrophobia is a condition that is characterized by the fear of spaces that are small or enclosed. Read this lesson to learn the various symptoms associated with claustrophobia.
18. What Causes Claustrophobia?
In this lesson, we will look at what claustrophobia is, as well as what causes it. In addition, we will learn what the difference is between a phobia and a fear, and what treatments are available for phobias.
19. Claustrophobia Treatment
In this lesson, we will talk about claustrophobia, the anxiety disorder that is characterized by an irrational fear of small spaces. We'll go over the treatment options that therapists use to help patients manage this condition.
20. How to Control Anxiety: Techniques & Strategies
In this lesson, we will look at what anxiety is, including the types of symptoms people experience. We will then discuss the different strategies and techniques that can be used to control anxiety.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution course
- Introduction to Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Research Methods in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Clinical Research of Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- The Biological Model of Abnormality: Tutoring Solution
- The Psychodynamic Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Behavioral/Learning Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Cognitive Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Humanistic-Existential Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Sociocultural Model of Abnormal Behavior: Tutoring Solution
- The Diathesis-Stress Model: Tutoring Solution
- Clinical Assessment: Tutoring Solution
- Mood Disorders of Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Stress Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Somatoform Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Dissociative Disorders in Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Eating Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Sexual and Gender Identity Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Substance Use Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Psychotic Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Cognitive Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Life-Span Development Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Personality Disorders in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Factitious Disorders: Tutoring Solution
- Treatment in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution
- Legal and Ethical Issues in Abnormal Psychology: Tutoring Solution