About This Chapter
Introduction to Small Business Management - Chapter Summary
Enjoy learning about or strengthening your existing understanding of small business management by examining fun lessons you can access in a secure online environment. Presented by top instructors, these lessons provide a comprehensive overview of topics that include small business development, how to start a small business and the purpose SBIR. Take advantage of the convenience of accessing these lessons utilizing any computer or mobile device with an Internet connection. Once you've completed this chapter, you will be able to:
- Describe the steps involved in starting a new business
- Define the small business, and describe its characteristics and importance to the economy
- Share advantages and disadvantages of small businesses functioning within a global market
- Discuss the history and purpose of the small business administration
- Explain the history and purpose of the Small Business Development Center
- Detail the history, purpose and activities of the Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) program
1. Steps & Aspects for Starting a New Business
You wake up dreaming of your business, think about it often during the day, and wish for it before going to sleep. If you want to be your own boss, there are a few simple steps to help you get ready to start your own business. This lesson will help you get going.
2. Small Business in the American Economy
Nearly every business starts 'small.' In this lesson, you'll learn how a small business is defined, some characteristics of a small business, and the importance of them in the economy. You'll also learn why some small businesses fail.
3. Small Business in a Global Market
As the world moves closer to a global economy, more small businesses will look to expand into international markets. In this lesson, you'll learn about some of the advantages and disadvantages that small businesses face in a global market.
4. Small Business Administration: History, Purpose & Resources
In this lesson, we will take a look at the Small Business Administration including its history, purpose, and resources available to help individuals or organizations develop their small business.
5. Small Business Development Center: History & Purpose
The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) is a program provided by the U.S. government to support individuals who want to own their own business. The SBDC provides many helpful resources to assist business owners. These resources are discussed in this lesson.
6. Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR): History, Activities & Purpose
In this lesson, we will introduce the Small Business Innovation Research program, define its purpose, cover its history, and discuss the phases used to award grants.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to Management: Help and Review course
- Business Management Basics
- Management Basics: Help and Review
- Classical School of Management Theory: Help and Review
- Behavioral School of Management Theory: Help and Review
- Contemporary and Future School of Management Theory: Help and Review
- Planning in Organizations: Help and Review
- Organizational Change: Help and Review
- Organizing in Business Management: Help and Review
- Work Teams: Help and Review
- Leading in Organizations: Help and Review
- Leadership Theory: Help and Review
- Motivation in the Workplace: Help and Review
- Communication in the Workplace: Help and Review
- Controlling in Organizations: Help and Review
- Human Resources Basics: Help and Review
- Strategic Management and Managerial Decision Making: Help and Review
- Production and Quality Assurance: Help and Review
- Managing Organizational Changes
- International Management and Contemporary Issues: Help and Review
- Theories of Business Management