About This Chapter
Leadership & Management Functions - Chapter Summary
Our informative chapter outlines leadership and management functions. Topics presented in the lessons include the difference between a manager and a leader, the definition of legitimate power and the roles and principles involved in management. Our expert instructors make these topics approachable and easy to learn. Each video lesson is easy to navigate using the video tabs feature, so you can jump right to the topics you need to review. The multiple-choice quizzes accompanying the lessons are a great way to test your knowledge before moving on in the chapter. After you've completed this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Explain how leading is an important management function
- Give an example of management skills
- Outline the four functions of management
- Define the modern theory of management
- Detail how management is organized
- Discuss how a diverse workforce can be successfully managed in contemporary organizations
- Identify what a company mission statement looks like
- Determine the vision and program objectives of an organization
1. Management vs. Leadership: The Difference Between a Manager & Leader
Are all managers leaders? Are all leaders managers? This lesson presents arguments that place a manager and a leader into two separate categories, each with their own defining characteristics.
2. Leading as a Function of Management
This lesson teaches you about leading as a function of management by examining the surprising similarities between two very different leadership scenarios: leadership at war and leadership in the workplace.
3. Legitimate Power in Leadership: Definition & Example
Legitimacy in leadership is one of the most important concepts in leadership and management. In this lesson, you will learn what legitimate power is. You'll also see an example of how an effective leader can augment legitimate authority.
4. Management Roles and Principles
Managers serve important roles in organizations. In this lesson, you'll learn about some of the key roles management plays in an organization and fundamental principles that management follows. A short quiz follows.
5. Management Skills: Definition & Examples
Managers are a critical part of a business's success. A good manager leads others and has the skills and ability to run a business well. Today we will go over the meaning of management skills as well as review some examples.
6. Four Functions of Management: Planning, Organizing, Leading & Controlling
A person who holds a management position inside an organization is required to think strategically and conceptually in order to achieve organizational goals. This lesson will describe the four functions of management and how they relate to organizational success.
7. Modern Theory of Management
Modern management theory has changed the way managers look at their jobs. Advancements and refinements in management theory and practice have enabled managers and managerial systems to evolve. In this lesson, we will look at modern management theories.
8. Management in Organizations: Top, Middle & Low-Level Managers
The role of a manager in organizations is complex. While managers can come in different shapes and sizes they all share the task of utilizing people and resources to achieve organizational goals. This lesson will discuss the roles and functions of management found in each of the three levels of management.
9. Managing a Diverse Workforce in Contemporary Organizations
Diversity is all around us and is a huge part of the business climate today. All companies strive for diversity, so they can have a unique perspective and look at issues through the eyes of their employees. This lesson will address diversity in a global setting.
10. Determining Program Objectives, Mission Statement & Vision
In this lesson, we will discuss and differentiate between program objectives, mission statements, and vision statements. The lesson will also address important related factors.
11. Company Mission Statements: Definition & Examples
This lesson explains the role of a mission statement in an organization. Learn the definition of a mission statement, how they are created and how they are used.
12. Organizational Vision Statement: Definition, Purpose & Examples
What type of vision does your company have? In this lesson, you'll learn more about organizational vision statements, what role they serve in a business and see a few examples of companies whose statements are well-suited.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 302: Foundations of Leadership course
- Basics of Leadership in the Workplace
- Leadership Styles & Traits
- Effective Leadership & Leadership Theories
- Decision-Making in Leadership & Business
- Communication in Leadership
- Ethical, Social & Legal Responsibilities of Leadership
- Leading Work Groups & Teams
- Managing Conflict & Conflict Resolution
- International Business Leadership
- Required Assignments for Business 302