About This Chapter
Managing Conflict & Conflict Resolution - Chapter Summary
You're in the right place if you need to quickly study conflict management and resolution concepts. Our bite-sized video lessons contain important information about workplace conflict, problem solving methods, workplace diversity and conflict response. Each lesson comes with a short quiz to help you check your understanding of key terms. The chapter is accessible at any time that fits your schedule, and you can use any Internet-connected device to study. Our instructors are available to answer your questions, and when you're finished with the chapter, you should be able to:
- Compare types of workplace conflict
- Recognize useful workplace conflict resolution techniques and methods
- Identify workplace conflict sources
- Understand how management and supervisors approach problem solving
- Explain the conflict process and importance of conflict resolution
- Describe the work process and the concept of team conflict
- Assess cultural differences in terms of conflict response
- Discuss workplace diversity issues
1. Defining Workplace Conflict: Types and Perspectives
When conflict develops within an organization, there are different ways that managers can handle issues. The three different perspectives regarding conflict are traditional, interactionalist and managed conflict.
2. What Is Conflict Resolution in the Workplace? - Skills, Techniques & Methods
Conflict resolution is important for all organizations. In this lesson, you will learn what conflict resolution is and some of its techniques and methods.
3. Sources of Conflict in the Workplace: Task, Relationship, and Process Conflict
Companies have to learn to deal with conflict on a daily basis. Organizational conflict is disagreement between groups or employees regarding work-related issues. Task, relationship and process are the three sources of conflict in a workplace.
4. Types of Problem Solving Methods in Management and Supervision
A big part of management and supervision is solving problems. In this lesson, we'll take a look at a few problem-solving methods that can be used to solve typical problems facing managers and supervisors. A short quiz follows.
5. Conflict Resolution: Managing Conflict in Organizations
Conflict can be solved in many ways. This lesson provides an overview of the different types of conflict resolution strategies, including avoidance, accommodation, competition, compromise, and collaboration.
6. What is the Conflict Process? - Definition and Stages
The conflict process deals with five steps that help alleviate disagreement, problems or fighting within organizations. The five steps are potential opposition or incompatibility, cognition and personalization, intentions, behavior and outcomes.
7. Team Conflict and the Work Process
Conflict is inevitable in groups, which is why managers must understand it. In this lesson you will learn about the reasons why teams may encounter conflict while working together.
8. Cultural Differences in Conflict Responses
If you've ever had a disagreement with someone, you know how much of a challenge it can be to resolve it. But what if you had completely different cultural practices? This lesson shows some of those differences.
9. What is Workforce Diversity? - Definition & Issues
Workforce diversity is a valuable asset for any business that seeks a competitive advantage in the global economy. Learn about the issues associated with workforce diversity and take a quiz to test your knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 302: Foundations of Leadership course
- Basics of Leadership in the Workplace
- Leadership Styles & Traits
- Leadership & Management Functions
- Effective Leadership & Leadership Theories
- Decision-Making in Leadership & Business
- Communication in Leadership
- Ethical, Social & Legal Responsibilities of Leadership
- Leading Work Groups & Teams
- International Business Leadership
- Required Assignments for Business 302
- Studying for Business 302