About This Chapter
NES ELA: Spelling Rules - Chapter Summary
Let us help you prepare for the NES ELA exam's questions on Standard English spelling rules. Our videos cover topics including:
- Rules for plural nouns
- When to drop or double letters
- Prefixes, suffixes, and endings
- General spelling rules in English
- When words should be combined
- Homonyms and homophones
- Strategies for ensuring correct spelling in written work
You can study these lessons, which average about five minutes in length, on a computer, smartphone or tablet as your schedule allows. A written transcript highlights important topics and terms, and there's a sheet of quiz questions that you can print and refer to for offline study. If you still have questions, you can contact our instructors through a message board.
NES ELA: Spelling Rules - Chapter Objectives
Several states use the NES ELA test to assess the knowledge and skills of candidates for teacher certification in the subject. The test content is divided into five subareas, and questions on the material this chapter covers are in the English Language Conventions, Composition, Writing Process and Research subarea, which accounts for 19% of the total score.
All questions on the NES ELA exam are multiple-choice, like the questions on the lesson quizzes and the chapter exams in this study guide. Taking our self-assessment quizzes and exams will give you an idea of the types of questions you'll encounter on the NES test. They will also show you where your knowledge is lacking, giving you a chance to review these topics before test day.
1. English Spelling Rules for Plural Nouns
Our world is filled with nouns. For such an important part of speech, it is vital to follow the right spelling rules. In this lesson, we will discuss the rules for spelling plural nouns.
2. English Spelling Rules for Doubling & Dropping Letters
In this lesson, you'll learn the spelling rules associated with doubling letters. You'll also learn how to correctly drop letters when changing the form of a word. Then you can test your new skills with a short quiz.
3. English Spelling Rules for Prefixes
Adding a prefix to a word changes that word's meaning. In this lesson, you'll learn how to spell words correctly when adding prefixes, and you'll have a chance to test yourself with a short quiz.
4. English Spelling Rules for Suffixes & Endings
Suffixes change much about words, including the spelling. This lesson outlines some of the guidelines for using suffixes, ensuring correct spelling of the word.
5. General English Spelling Rules
In this lesson, we detail just a few of the numerous general spelling rules in the English language, while also taking note of the exceptions to each guideline.
6. Determining When to Combine Words
This lesson highlights some of the common mistakes we make with combining words or deciding to separate them. You will get the lowdown on the rules to use to get them right and test your knowledge in a quiz.
7. Spelling: Words That Sound Alike (Homonyms & Homophones)
Watch this lesson to learn to differentiate between words that sound alike but may be spelled differently. We'll specifically look at homonyms, homographs, and homophones.
8. How to Use and Interpret Hyphenation Conventions
In this lesson, we will define hyphens, discuss the rules for using a hyphen correctly, and then explain why a hyphen is important for clarity in your writing.
9. Correct Spelling in Written Work: Strategies & Tips
In this lesson, we will discuss why it is important to have correct spelling in your writing. We will then discuss some tips to be sure you are using correct spelling.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES English Language Arts: Test Practice & Study Guide course
- About the NES Test
- NES ELA: Structure, Analysis & Word Meanings
- NES ELA: Strategies for Acquiring New Vocabulary
- NES ELA: Influences on the English Language
- NES ELA: Figures of Speech & Meaning
- NES ELA: Reading & Comprehension Strategies
- NES ELA: Organization of Written Works
- NES ELA: Climax & Plot in Written Works
- NES ELA: Themes in Written Works
- NES ELA: Points of View in Literature
- NES ELA: Strategies for Reading Informational Texts
- NES ELA: Strategies for Reading Persuasive Texts
- NES ELA: Strategies for Reading Technical & Functional Texts
- NES ELA: Genres in Literature
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Nonfiction
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Literary Fiction
- NES ELA: Types of Literary Fiction
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Literary Drama
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Poetry
- NES ELA: Analyzing & Interpreting Prose
- NES ELA: Literature in Old English & Middle English
- NES ELA: The Renaissance in English Literature
- NES ELA: English Literature in the 17th & 18th Century
- NES ELA: Romantic Prose in English Literature
- NES ELA: The Romantic Poetry Movement
- NES ELA: Victorian Literature
- NES ELA: Turn-of-the-Century Literature
- NES ELA: Modernist Authors in English Literature
- NES ELA: Nonfiction in English Literature
- NES ELA: The Oral Tradition
- NES ELA: Noun & Verb Usage in the English Language
- NES ELA: Phrases & Clauses in English
- NES ELA: Types of Sentences in English
- NES ELA: Modifiers in the English Language
- NES ELA: Grammar Conventions
- NES ELA: Comma Rules
- NES ELA: Precision & Clarity in Writing
- NES ELA: Effective Composition Writing
- NES ELA: The Writing Process
- NES ELA: Research Writing
- NES ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Persuasive Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Analytical Writing Strategies
- NES ELA: Effective Listening Strategies
- NES ELA: Public Speaking Strategies
- NES ELA: Viewing & Presenting Images