Prepare for your NYSTCE English Language Arts test with our online study guide. Video lessons with quizzes can give you an interactive overview of world literature.
NYSTCE English Language Arts: World Literature - Chapter Summary
Get ready for this content specialty test by reviewing specific pieces of world literature, in addition to bodies of literature written in specific time periods. What do pastoral odes all have in common? What are the characteristics of the Upanishads? Answer these questions and more in this chapter of the NYSTCE English Language Arts study guide. This chapter includes the following topics:
- Epics: Gilgamesh, Iliad, Odyssey, Argonautica and the Aeneid
- World literature before the modern period
- 17th through 19th centuries' world literature
- Contemporary period world literature
Double-check your understanding of world literature by taking the quiz at the end of each lesson. Feel free to go back to any video lessons necessary to master the content.
NYSTCE English Language Arts: World Literature Objectives
Objectives pertaining to reading, understanding, applying and writing about world literature weave their way throughout all subareas of the test. The topics that follow are fundamental:
- Read for information and understanding of world English and regionalisms
- Write for literary response and expression
- Find the significance and characteristics of the mythologies and folk literature of various cultures
- Read for critical analysis, evaluation, literary response and personal enjoyment
- Analyze the expression of values through the literature of multiple regions, cultures, ethnicities and periods
- Read literature from various periods and traditions
- Discover themes and works in American literature, leading back from present to the colonial period
- Analyze themes and works in Irish and British literature
- Read through the literature of Africa, Asia, Latin America, the Caribbean and continental Europe
You'll answer about 90 multiple-choice questions and complete a written-response assignment during the exam. This study guide can help you prepare for success on many aspects of the test.