About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering opera and orchestral music material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about opera and orchestral music. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding the key parts of an opera, the roles of operatic singers and the history of the orchestra
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about music (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about opera and orchestral music
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra music learning resources
How It Works:
- Find videos in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Press play and watch the video lesson.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the opera and orchestral music chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the opera and orchestral music chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any opera and orchestral music question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in a opera and orchestral unit of a standard introduction to humanities course. Topics covered include:
- Terms and key parts of an opera
- Operatic singer vocal parts and roles
- Differences between types of opera
- Elements of orchestral music
- The growth of orchestral music throughout history
1. What Is an Opera? - Opera Terms and Key Parts
Opera incorporates the elements of not only singing but acting, dancing, costuming and more! In this lesson, you will learn all about the key parts of opera and important opera terms.
2. Operatic Singers: Vocal Parts and Singer Roles
Operas tend to cast their performers according to their vocal ranges. Explore how each of these roles fits into the opera, and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
3. Types of Opera: Opera Buffa vs. Seria & Wagnerian vs. Mozart
Opera is one of the most respected art forms in Western music, but there are several types of opera. Discover some of the well known opera genres, and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
4. Elements of Orchestral Music: Instrument Sections, Format and Roles
Orchestral music is one of the most traditional forms of Western music. So, what is it? Explore the elements of the orchestra and orchestral music, and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
5. History of the Orchestra: Growth of Orchestral Music Throughout History
Orchestral music is one of the classical foundations of Western culture. In this lesson, you will explore the history and development of this art form, then test your understanding with a brief quiz.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Introduction to Humanities: Help and Review course
- Literary Terms & Techniques: Help and Review
- Literary Time Periods: Help and Review
- Literature of the Middle Ages: Help and Review
- The English Renaissance: Help and Review
- Literature of the Victorian Era: Help and Review
- British Romanticism: Help and Review
- British Literature of the 20th Century: Help and Review
- Literary Modernism: Help and Review
- Romantic Poetry: Help and Review
- World Literature - Drama: Help and Review
- Poetry of the Ancient and Modern Worlds: Help and Review
- Prominent American Novelists: Help and Review
- Philosophy and Nonfiction: Help and Review
- History of Visual Art: Help and Review
- History of Architecture: Help and Review
- Basic Elements of Music: Help and Review
- Intro to Medieval Music: Help and Review
- Intro to Renaissance Music: Help and Review
- Intro to the Baroque Period in Music: Help and Review
- Music's Classical Period: Help and Review
- Music's Romantic Period: Help and Review
- Music of the Modern Era: Help and Review
- Overview of Jazz Music: Help and Review
- Intro to Musical Theater and Popular Music: Help and Review
- Intro to World Music: Help and Review
- Introduction to the Performing Arts: Help and Review