About This Chapter
Power in Communication & Leadership - Chapter Summary
Ask your organization's team leaders to review the lessons in this chapter to fortify their understanding of power in communication and how it affects leadership. After they complete these lessons, team leaders will have a better understanding of:
- Legitimate power and how it's important to leadership
- What referent, expert and coercive power is
- Different approaches to empowering employees
Each lesson is mobile device-compatible so team leaders can watch them from anywhere and fit them into their busy schedules. They may also test their knowledge by completing the short quizzes that come with the lessons.
How It Helps
- Improves team leadership: Strong leaders understand what power is and how power, even in communication, can play a huge role in a team leader's authority.
- Enhances productivity: When you have strong team leaders, teams seem to work more effectively and get more done.
- Improve team members' confidence: A team's confidence often reflects the confidence of the team's leaders.
By the end of this chapter, team leaders will be able to:
- Identify the different types of power in leadership
- Use that knowledge to improve their confidence as leaders
- Empower members of their team
1. Legitimate Power in Leadership: Definition & Example
Legitimacy in leadership is one of the most important concepts in leadership and management. In this lesson, you will learn what legitimate power is. You'll also see an example of how an effective leader can augment legitimate authority.
2. Referent Power in Leadership: Definition & Examples
Referent power can be an effective means of leadership. In this lesson, you will learn what referent power is, some of its key concepts and be provided an example. You'll have a chance to reinforce your knowledge with a short quiz after the lesson.
3. Expert Power in Leadership: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will find out what expert power is, learn some of its important concepts, and be provided examples illustrating its use. You'll also have an opportunity to take a short quiz after the lesson.
4. Coercive Power in Leadership: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn what coercive power is and some key concepts relating to it. You will also have an opportunity to reinforce your knowledge with a short quiz that follows the lesson.
5. Employee Empowerment: Definition, Advantages & Disadvantages
In this lesson, you will learn about employee empowerment, its different approaches, advantages and disadvantages. You will also have an opportunity to take a brief quiz after the lesson to reinforce your knowledge.a
6. Empowerment in Management: Definition & Explanation
Empowerment is a management concept that can result in higher productivity and job satisfaction in your organization. But, what does it really involve, and how do you implement it? Watch this lesson to find out.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.