About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other PSAT prep work.
- Identify the equations and expressions concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our PSAT Prep Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about equations and expressions and prepare for the exam. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding linear equations, absolute value expressions, system of equations, quadratic equations, the FOIL method, polynomials or any other equations and expressions topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning math visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their equations and expressions unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in preparing for the PSAT
- Don't have access to their PSAT instructor outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about equations and expressions simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live PSAT tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about equations and expressions on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Learn how to write linear equations.
- Practice evaluating absolute value expressions.
- Understand how to solve absolute value equations.
- Explore systems of equations.
- Experience direct and inverse variation problems.
- Practice solving quadratic equations.
- Find out how to multiply binomials using FOIL and the area method.
- Understand adding, subtracting and multiplying polynomials.
- Learn to complete the square.
1. What is a Linear Equation?
Most cars won't be able to run for more than 250,000 miles, so how much longer will your car live? Linear Equations are the most basic kind of algebraic function and can help you answer questions exactly like this. Learn about what they look like, how they come up in your life and why they are powerful tools.
2. How to Write a Linear Equation
Simply knowing how to take a linear equation and graph it is only half of the battle. You should also be able to come up with the equation if you're given the right information.
3. Linear Equations: Intercepts, Standard Form and Graphing
Do you know what to do if an equation doesn't look like y=mx+b?! If not, then this video is for you. Chances are the equation is in standard form, so we'll learn how to use standard form equations, how to graph them and why they can be helpful.
4. How to Evaluate Absolute Value Expressions
Substituting values into absolute values doesn't have to be too hard, but it can be if you're given deceiving beginning information. See if you're up to it by checking out this video!
5. How to Solve an Absolute Value Equation
Once you get familiar with any new operation, the next step in any algebra class is to learn how to solve equations with that operation in them. Absolute values are no different. Solve absolute value equations here!
6. Solving Absolute Value Practice Problems
There are many easy mistakes to make when solving absolute value equations. Learn how to avoid those mistakes here by working on examples of absolute value equations with operations on the inside and the outside of the absolute value.
7. What is a System of Equations?
So what happens if we want to compare more than one equation? Welcome to a 'system' of equations! Learn what one is, how to solve them and when they come up in real life.
8. How Do I Use a System of Equations?
There are a few classic algebra word problems, such as the one about two trains traveling at different speeds. In this lesson, you'll learn how to take a word problem and convert it into the system of equations that will allow you to find the answer using either substitution or elimination.
9. Direct and Inverse Variation Problems: Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn how to approach questions about direct and inverse variation with a simple explanation of what the terms mean and how to apply them to problems.
10. How to Solve Exponential Equations
If you're planning on putting some money in the bank to save up for that next thing you've got to have, it might be best to know a little about exponential equations first. Learn how to check how long it will take you to have as much money as you need here!
11. How to Solve Quadratics That Are Not in Standard Form
It isn't always the case that your equation will be set up nicely for you to solve. In this lesson, learn how to factor or use the quadratic formula to solve quadratic equations, even when they are not in standard form.
12. How to Solve a Quadratic Equation by Factoring
If your favorite video game, 'Furious Fowls,' gave you the quadratic equation for each shot you made, would you be able to solve the equation to make sure every one hit its target? If not, you will after watching this video!
13. Factoring Quadratic Equations: Polynomial Problems with a Non-1 Leading Coefficient
Once you get good at factoring quadratics with 1x squared in the front of the expression, it's time to try ones with numbers other than 1. It will be the same general idea, but there are a few extra steps to learn. Do that here!
14. Multiplying Binomials Using FOIL and the Area Method
From the distributive property, to FOIL, to the area model, to happy faces and claws, there are many different ways to learn how to multiply binomials. In this lesson, you'll learn how to use all of them and get to pick which one you like the most.
15. Multiplying Binomials Using FOIL & the Area Method: Practice Problems
There are a few mistakes that are easy to make when multiplying binomials with FOIL and also a few ways to complicate problems like this, so why not make sure you're brushed up on your skills? You'll also learn a shortcut and how to use the area method to multiply even bigger polynomials.
16. How to Add, Subtract and Multiply Polynomials
Adding, subtracting and multiplying polynomials are, basically, the same as adding, subtracting and multiplying numbers. They only difference is that we have a pesky variable to worry about, but this video will show you that's no problem, so no worries! This method has worked for many of my students, and I think it will work for you, too!
17. How to Factor Quadratic Equations: FOIL in Reverse
So, you know how to multiply binomials with the FOIL method, but can you do it backwards? That's exactly what factoring is, and it can be pretty tricky. Check out this lesson to learn a method that will allow you to factor quadratic trinomials with a leading coefficient of 1.
18. How to Complete the Square
Completing the square can help you learn where the maximum or minimum of a parabola is. If you're running a business and trying to make some money, it might be a good idea to know how to do this! Find out what I'm talking about here.
19. Completing the Square Practice Problems
Completing the square is one of the most confusing things you'll be asked to do in an Algebra class. Once you get the general idea, it's best to get in there and actually do a few practice problems to make sure you understand the process. Do that here!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PSAT Prep: Tutoring Solution course
- PSAT Prep - About the Test: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Writing - About the Writing Section: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Writing - Grammar and Usage: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - About the Reading Section: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - Sentence Completions: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - Reading Passages: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - Understanding Reading Passages: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - Literary Terms: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - About the Math Section: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Numbers and Operations: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Exponents: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Rational Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Functions: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Geometry and Measurement: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability: Tutoring Solution