About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other PSAT prep work.
- Identify the functions concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our PSAT Prep Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about functions and prepare for the exam. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding function notation, domain and range, function graphs, inverse functions, exponentials or any other functions topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning math visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their functions unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in preparing for the PSAT
- Don't have access to their PSAT instructor outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about functions simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live PSAT tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about functions on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Explain function basics and key terms
- Understand domain and range in functions.
- Practice the composition of functions.
- Learn to graph basic functions.
- Explore inverse, exponential and polynomials functions.
1. What is a Function: Basics and Key Terms
Mapping numbers sounds complex, but we do it when we buy gasoline. We pump gasoline, and the gas station charges us based on the amount of gas that we pump. Learn how this relates to functions while reviewing the basics and notations in this lesson.
2. Functions: Identification, Notation & Practice Problems
A function is simply a rule that takes one number and turns it into another. But some special conditions must apply for it to be a true mathematical function. Learn about those conditions and how we write functions here!
3. What Is Domain and Range in a Function?
The domain and range are the possible outputs and inputs of a function. In this lesson, learn about what might restrict the domain and how to figure out the domain and range from a graph.
4. How to Compose Functions
Function composition is the process of putting two or more functions together. This video lesson will explain how this process works and also show you how to evaluate functions that have been composed.
5. How to Add, Subtract, Multiply and Divide Functions
Adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing functions is about as simple as substituting in expressions and then just doing whichever operation it asks you to do. Check out this video lesson to see some examples of this and learn just how easy it is!
6. Applying Function Operations Practice Problems
In this lesson, learn how to apply all the different properties of functions to solve complex problems. From function operations and composition to domain and range, get your practice here!
7. Graphing Basic Functions
Graphs are just like maps - when you know the language! Review how locations have x and y coordinates similar to latitude and longitude, and how to plot points in the Cartesian plane.
8. Compounding Functions and Graphing Functions of Functions
We know that functions map numbers to other numbers, so what happens when you have a function of a function? Welcome to functions within functions, the realm of composite functions!
9. Understanding and Graphing the Inverse Function
If you use a function to map a to b, is there a way to go back from b to a again? Learn how to find and graph inverse functions so that you can turn a into b and back into a.
10. Inverse Functions
Inverse functions are two functions that do exactly opposite things. Check out this lesson to learn about how to write inverse functions, find inverse functions, and predict whether or not they exist.
11. What Is an Exponential Function?
Brand new technologies don't always catch on right away because they can be expensive and don't always work as well as they should. But once the price comes down, and they start to work better, it doesn't take very long before it seems like everyone has one. Learn about the numbers behind this, exponential functions!
12. Polynomials Functions: Properties and Factoring
Everything from projectile motion to trigonometric functions can be described by polynomials. Review factoring, polynomials and quadratic functions in this lesson.
13. Polynomials Functions: Exponentials and Simplifying
How do we keep track of a rapidly multiplying population of bunnies? Well, those are simply powers of 2. Review powers and simplify problems with exponents in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PSAT Prep: Tutoring Solution course
- PSAT Prep - About the Test: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Writing - About the Writing Section: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Writing - Grammar and Usage: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - About the Reading Section: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - Sentence Completions: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - Reading Passages: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - Understanding Reading Passages: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - Literary Terms: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - About the Math Section: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Numbers and Operations: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Exponents: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Rational Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Geometry and Measurement: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability: Tutoring Solution