About This Chapter
How it works:
- Begin your assignment or other PSAT prep work.
- Identify the numbers and operations concepts that you're stuck on.
- Find fun videos on the topics you need to understand.
- Press play, watch and learn!
- Complete the quizzes to test your understanding.
- As needed, submit a question to one of our instructors for personalized support.
Who's it for?
This chapter of our PSAT Prep Tutoring Solution will benefit any student who is trying to learn about numbers and operations and prepare for the exam. This resource can help students including those who:
- Struggle with understanding whole numbers, fractions, ratios, math sequences, permutations, absolute value or any other numbers and operations topic
- Have limited time for studying
- Want a cost effective way to supplement their math learning
- Prefer learning math visually
- Find themselves failing or close to failing their numbers and operations unit
- Cope with ADD or ADHD
- Want to get ahead in preparing for the PSAT
- Don't have access to their PSAT instructor outside of class
Why it works:
- Engaging Tutors: We make learning about numbers and operations simple and fun.
- Cost Efficient: For less than 20% of the cost of a private tutor, you'll have unlimited access 24/7.
- Consistent High Quality: Unlike a live PSAT tutor, these video lessons are thoroughly reviewed.
- Convenient: Imagine a tutor as portable as your laptop, tablet or smartphone. Learn about numbers and operations on the go!
- Learn at Your Pace: You can pause and rewatch lessons as often as you'd like, until you master the material.
- Review arithmetic calculations with whole numbers.
- Practice solving math word problems.
- Study working with fractions, radicals, decimals and percents.
- Learn to find the greatest common factor and prime factorization of a number.
- Understand concepts related to ratios and proportions.
- Find and classify arithmetic sequences.
- Practice critical thinking and logic in math.
- Explore the concept of absolute value.
- Calculate permutations and arithmetic series.
1. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
2. How to Find the Greatest Common Factor
If the factors of a number are the different numbers that you can multiply together to get that original number, then the greatest common factor of two numbers is just the biggest one that both have in common. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
3. How to Find the Prime Factorization of a Number
The prime factorization of a number involves breaking that number down to its smallest parts. This lesson will show you two different ways to discover the prime factorization of any number.
4. How to Find the Least Common Multiple
The least common multiple of two numbers is the smallest number that can be divided evenly by your two original numbers. See some examples of what I'm talking about here!
5. How to Find and Classify an Arithmetic Sequence
Arithmetic sequences are everywhere, and with a few tricks you learn here, you could end up looking like a psychic the next time you go to a movie or a football game!
6. What is a Mathematical Sequence?
Math is often the most fun when it acts like a puzzle to be solved. The branch of math where this is the most true involves sequences. Get an introduction to the basics and important vocabulary, as well as learn where sequences appear in nature!
7. Mathematical Sets: Elements, Intersections & Unions
Today we're going to explore mathematical sets, which are surprisingly simple! Sets are just collections of any objects or concepts, also known as elements, that can be related to each other through union or intersection.
8. Critical Thinking and Logic in Mathematics
Logic has its own unique language and way of defining what is true and false. Watch this video lesson to learn how you can critically think in the language of logic while working with math.
9. How to Calculate a Permutation
A permutation is a method used to calculate the total outcomes of a situation where order is important. In this lesson, John will use permutations to help him organize the cards in his poker hand and order a pizza.
10. What is an Absolute Value?
When we're talking and comparing numbers, we often don't care whether its positive or negative, just how big it is. This is often called the magnitude of a number and we find it by taking the absolute value. Learn all about it here!
11. How to Calculate an Arithmetic Series
In this lesson, you'll learn how to sum up any arithmetic sequence without having to add up each and every term. You'll never guess the circumstances that led to the discovery of this marvelous formula.
12. What Are Venn Diagrams in Math? - History, Types & Examples
In this lesson, you will learn what Venn diagrams are in math. You will also learn the history behind them and will be given the different types illustrated with examples. Following this lesson will be a brief quiz to test your knowledge.
13. What is a Math Concept?
Is it better to learn a math concept rather than a math fact? In this lesson, learn which one will help you more in life. Also explore some math concepts and see how they are applied.
14. What is a Mathematical Expression? - Definition & Examples
This lesson will explain how to recognize a mathematical expression and the parts that make up a mathematical expression. You will also learn some of the basic vocabulary used when discussing mathematical expressions.
15. What is a Negative Number? - Definition & Rules
This lesson will walk you through what a negative number represents and how they interact with our equation operations like addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. A quiz will be included at the end to test your understanding.
16. What is a Square Number in Math? - Definition & Examples
In this lesson, you'll learn the definition of square numbers and see visual explanations and examples that make identifying and finding square numbers easy. Then, you can take a brief quiz.
17. What is an Ordinal Number? - Definition & Example
In this lesson, you'll learn what ordinal numbers are, what they're useful for, and see examples of how they're used. We'll also look at the different ways to write ordinal numbers.
18. What Is Pi? - Number & Usage
Learn where the number pi comes from, how mathematicians estimate it, and some of the many uses of the number in the worlds of science and mathematics. In the end, you can test your knowledge with a quiz.
19. Postulate in Math: Definition & Example
In this lesson, we'll discuss the meaning of postulates in mathematics and explore some common examples. We'll also apply these postulates to solving some geometric problems.
20. Subtracting Polynomials: Examples & Concept
A polynomial is an expression containing variables and constants. This lesson will cover how to subtract one polynomial from another, which requires careful mathematical attention. A quiz will give you the opportunity to practice this skill.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PSAT Prep: Tutoring Solution course
- PSAT Prep - About the Test: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Writing - About the Writing Section: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Writing - Grammar and Usage: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - About the Reading Section: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - Sentence Completions: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - Reading Passages: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - Understanding Reading Passages: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Reading - Literary Terms: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - About the Math Section: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Exponents: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Rational Equations and Expressions: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Inequalities: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Functions: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Geometry and Measurement: Tutoring Solution
- PSAT Math - Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability: Tutoring Solution