About This Chapter
PSAT Writing: About the Writing & Language Test - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter focus on details about the writing and language test of the PSAT writing exam. Knowing this information will prove to be valuable to you because you will learn about the set-up and format of this exam. These lessons contain the following topics:
- General information about the PSAT writing exam
- Topics that are found in the passage portion of the exam
- Details of the types of questions on the exam
- Examples of the command of evidence and 'words in context' questions from the test
- Specific topics that are found on the analysis portion
- What is expected of a test taker when faced with 'expression of ideas' questions
- Questions about the foundations of writing
Our professional and knowledgeable instructors present every lesson to you in a clear and concise manner. The goal is to get you to master all of the material before moving forward to other chapters. Following every lesson, you will find a multiple-choice quiz. These quizzes are short and will give you immediate feedback. With the results, you can go back into the lesson and review what you have missed and you can also reach out to our instructors for assistance.
1. About the PSAT Writing & Language Test
In this lesson, learn what you'll see on the Writing & Language Test on the PSAT and get some tips for cracking it. It's not like English class, so it's best to be prepared!
2. PSAT Writing & Language Test: Passage Types & Topics
The PSAT Writing and Language Exam can feel daunting, but don't get overwhelmed: in reality, this section tests you on skills you use regularly! With a little practice and understanding of what the test covers, you'll be more than prepared.
3. PSAT Writing & Language Test: Question Types Overview
Knowing what types of questions are on the PSAT Writing and Language test makes it easier to prepare for the exam. In this lesson, we will go over the different types of questions that make up the 44 PSAT Writing and Language exam questions.
4. PSAT Writing & Language Test: Command of Evidence Questions
This lesson covers one particular type of question on the PSAT Writing and Language Test. You will learn what Command of Evidence questions ask you to do and hear about some strategies for responding to them.
5. PSAT Writing & Language Test: Words in Context Questions
This lesson covers Words in Context questions as they appear on the PSAT Writing & Language Test. You will learn what Words in Context questions look like and get some tips for responding to them.
6. PSAT Writing & Language Test: Analysis Questions
This lesson covers Analysis questions as they appear on the PSAT Writing & Language Test. You will learn about different kinds of Analysis questions and discover some strategies for responding to them.
7. PSAT Writing & Language Test: Expression of Ideas Questions
This lesson covers Expression of Ideas questions as they appear on the PSAT Writing & Language Test. You will find out about different kinds of Expression of Ideas questions and learn some strategies for responding to them.
8. PSAT Writing & Language Test: Standard English Convention Questions
This lesson covers Standard English Convention questions as they appear on the PSAT Writing & Language Test. You will learn what Standard English Convention questions look like, review some sample questions, and get a few tips for responding to them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 95 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 2,000 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the PSAT Prep: Practice & Study Guide course
- PSAT: About the Test
- PSAT Writing: Sentence Clarity and Structure
- PSAT Writing Usage & Punctuation
- Word Use & Expressions in Writing
- Argument & Evidence Analysis in Writing
- About the PSAT Reading Test
- PSAT Reading: Reading Passages
- PSAT Reading: Understanding Reading Passages
- PSAT Reading: Interpretation & Analysis of Text
- Analyzing Data & Graphs in a Reading Passage
- PSAT Reading: Literary Terms
- Important U.S. Documents & Speeches
- Analyzing Words in Context while Reading
- PSAT Math: About the Math Test
- PSAT Math: Numbers and Operations
- PSAT Math: Equations and Expressions
- PSAT Math: Quadratic Equations
- PSAT Math: Exponents
- PSAT Math: Rational Equations and Expressions
- PSAT Math: Inequalities
- PSAT Math: Functions
- PSAT Math: Ratios, Rates & Proportion
- PSAT Math: Geometry and Measurement
- PSAT Math: Triangles & Trigonometric Ratios
- PSAT Math: Data Analysis, Statistics and Probability